Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    It’s my first year in the area. Cc are he closest trails to me, so far I’ve done Jacobs ladder and rush trail down. I’m wondering what other descents in the area I should check out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    It’s my first year in the area. Cc are he closest trails to me, so far I’ve done Jacobs ladder and rush trail down. I’m wondering what other descents in the area I should check out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

For CC, check out maple hollow DH. Vertigo/levitate are decent if you like flow. Bobsled up by the U. Once things melt up high you can ride around PC until you run out of legs.

Awesome snowaddict! I’ll check those out next

There's very, very little riding on the Wasatch Front that isn't on Trailforks, FYI.

Above BST in the Bobsled area there's several sporty descents if you don't mind some HAB on the up. Terror, Med Hill, Black Mountain, all on TF. In the CC area there's also Sivogah and Blaylock Ridge. Blaylock is one of the few that somehow isn't on TF yet, but there's a Strava segment for it. It's above Ann's west of the Maple Hollow DH. If you still can't find it PM me and I'll send you a maps pin for the top.

If you're into jumping I Street is world class. Ogden bike park is also really good and worth the drive.

Boxelder load of goods not on Trailforks or strokeva. Get lost and fail, be a bro with no know. When you don't know, you learn stuff and either become smarter or less stupider.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's very, very little riding on the Wasatch Front that isn't on Trailforks, FYI.

Above BST in the Bobsled area there's several sporty descents if you don't mind some HAB on the up. Terror, Med Hill, Black Mountain, all on TF. .
    Which way is the ideal climb and descent for Med Hill? I've hiked it, and HAB on a bike seems appropriate. Is it better to climb up from Red Butte side or descend that way?

Black Mountain is on the list to try soon as well. Being new to the area its interesting to see how many "trails" there are near SLC with no signage. The amount of renegade hiking routes near the living room for example...

Med/Van Cott, prefer Red Butte side up and down. Bring some hand trimmers and do a bit of out and back along the ridge at the top heading north. The ridge needs to get nibbled back yard by yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Billow View Post
    Boxelder load of goods not on Trailforks or strokeva. Get lost and fail, be a bro with no know. When you don't know, you learn stuff and either become smarter or less stupider.
    1. Box Elder trails are on TF in the hiking layer.
    2. Box Elder may, possibly, still have some snow on it.
    3. Box Elder is within designated Wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    1. Box Elder trails are on TF in the hiking layer.
    2. Box Elder may, possibly, still have some snow on it.
    3. Box Elder is within designated Wilderness.
    Boxelder (bug) = boatload. Have a bunch in my yard, not talking about the area.

It’s so quiet, it’s so cool, it’s so cold

Terrace hills-BST-Twin Peaks access-black mtn up & down-terror ridge-BST-bobsled
    3100' up, 3400' down, 12 miles

Great views, but 1.5 miles of HAB up black mtn that I won't do again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200429_133352.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	326903

Name:	20200429_133036.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	326901

Name:	20200429_130122.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	326902

Nice!

Wasatch Dirt Thread

There’s a couple more trails off the black mountain ridge to the East side. Fun but they’re almost always real wet in the bottom and it gets old. They’re not on Trailforks but they’re on Strava.

Some different stuff up the north side of city creek toward north salt lake too. Most of it’s on Trailforks.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

^^^ Rode Terror for the first time today. Steep and Loose. Probably won't be going back. Boy we could us a little more rain.

Headed to Vernal tomorrow. Never ridden there before. Hopefully it's not the same shitshow that they're seeing in Fruita, GJ, and St George.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    There’s a couple more trails off the black mountain ridge to the East side. Fun but they’re almost always real wet in the bottom and it gets old. They’re not on Trailforks but they’re on Strava.

Some different stuff up the north side of city creek toward north salt lake too. Most of it’s on Trailforks.
    Will have to try the trails off the east side of Blacks that you're referring to. Think I know where they end up. Guessing now is probably a good time as things aren't overgrown yet.

Speaking of the City Creek/NSL side, the DH trail is in great shape at the moment. Again, not overgrown.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    ^^^ Rode Terror for the first time today. Steep and Loose. Probably won't be going back. Boy we could us a little more rain.
    No amount of rain would fix the looseness on Terror, the whole thing is medium-sized rocks over gravel. Which is what makes it so great.

Bump to say I did Terror on Sat and some asswipes have cut a B-line around the crux. Looks like a couple of bushes were removed to make a dirt option on the left. It bypasses the all-rock techy little drop that used to give me a bit of pause before committing. This time I stopped to try and figure out if I had forgotten everything about that section but no, definitely some work done on the trail... WTF is it with peeps sanitizing every section that requires a bit of commitment? I hate that shit, if I can't ride something I walk it, come back, spot the line, think about it, work up to it, and eventually make it work. Strava claims which feature B-lines should get a 1 minute penalty to force the rabid e-racing crowd to leave trails be!
    Last edited by Boissal; 05-04-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Bummer, the end is the best part of Terror.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Bump to say I did Terror on Sat and some asswipes have cut a B-line around the crux. Looks like a couple of bushes were removed to make a dirt option. It bypasses the all-rock techy little drop that used to give me a bit of pause before committing. This time I stopped to try and figure out if I had forgotten everything about that section but no, definitely some work done on the trail... WTF is it with peeps sanitizing every section that requires a bit of commitment? I hate that shit, if I can't ride something I walk it, come back, spot the line, think about it, work up to it, and eventually make it work. Strava claims which feature B-lines should get a 1 minute penalty to force the rabid e-racing crowd to leave trails be!
    *sigh*

Right? Seems like every season a bunch of rocks get removed from the few techy sections left on most popular trails.
    I remember how heinous the rock garden halfway up Drycreek was 15 years ago. Clearing that thing was proud, took some major horsepower and some trial skills. Now you can roll the whole thing. Dabbing isn't shameful for fook's sake, it's just a sign that you need to ride better...

Major gripe of mine. Someone on my local trails org actually suggested that we put out "trail tool stations" along the trails with shovels, trimmers, etc....so that people could "give a little back to the trails while they are out and about." I couldn't say no fast enough. I can't even imagine the horror the trails would become if we actually encouraged people and gave them easy access tools.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Major gripe of mine. Someone on my local trails org actually suggested that we put out "trail tool stations" along the trails with shovels, trimmers, etc....so that people could "give a little back to the trails while they are out and about." I couldn't say no fast enough. I can't even imagine the horror the trails would become if we actually encouraged people and gave them easy access tools.
    Agreed. Might as well leave an asphalt truck there cause if given the chance some people would like nothing more than to pave over sections that prevent them from nailing that KOM...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Agreed. Might as well leave an asphalt truck there cause if given the chance some people would like nothing more than to pave over sections that prevent them from nailing that KOM...
    It makes sense to leave shovels/tools for trails with jumps and berms. But ya gotta know what youre doing if yer going to start shaping and tuning.

Leaving tools out for the general public is a bad idea, start running into conflicts that way. Should be a select group of trail stewards who actively maintain the trail throughout the year.

Having tools/shovels etc on the trail makes it a lot easier and encourages peeps to keep stuff tuned up. But they should be locked up only for the trail stewards. Carrying tools into/out of the trail is a PITA and ya gotta plan your day around it, but if they are already stashed on the trail you can stop mid ride and do a little tuning here and there and continue on with your ride. So much easier and would encourage the trail stewards to maintain more often.

This time of year I would encourage everyone to ride with some pruning shears or a small hand saw.

Every time mtn trails takes over the maintenance of a trail, it builds a highway and triples it’s users. So, are the stewards really the best people to do the work? Everyone has their own idea of what makes the best trail.

Im not a huge fan of mtn trails style of building, but whatever floats yer boat. Its good to have beginner stuff and connector trails but if thats ALL you're building and not building any steep technical advanced stuff its super lame. fortunately most of their brown sidewalk dad trails don't need much maintenance.

Its more of the trails with berms and jumps that need the most maintenance. Cutting blowdown, pruning etc.

Trail stewards usually have a connection with the trail builders, been vetted, or are the ones who actually built the trail so yeah they are prob the best ones to maintain the trail.

Usually once a trail is put in thats what you get, its not like the stewards are going to completely change it, there are tweaks here and there but unless theres a super obvious problem with the trail they are simply maintaining it and not altering it.

Think there needs to be communication between the builders and stewards about what the trails intent is. If its a easy beginner trail it probably shouldn't be made harder, If its a steep technical trail it probably shouldn't be made easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    Its more of the trails with berms and jumps that need the most maintenance. Cutting blowdown, pruning etc.
    That's my point. I'm really glad that the few gravity trails I ride semi-regularly are maintained by qualified people. Without their work people would disappear in 8' deep brake ruts after a week.
    What pisses me off is when randos with no skills and a huge strava-boner remove one or two rocks that force a technical move at low speed to reduce chunder and make the spot faster. I ride a lot of miles of old hiking trails that were never intended to be MTB friendly and I like them that way. Pruning tools are really the only thing that should be used on these to keep the brush from overtaking them...