Page 35 of 101 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

I used to think KSL comments were just the dumbest of the dumb, but in the past year or so I've finally, finally realized these dumbasses represent most of America.
    So fucking true. If you ever want to lose all hope, just read the comments....

Where's the nearest place to Murray to to do some fun riding? + if the crowds aren't too big, even if I have to go during off times. Just moved from DC and although I'm loving the mountains, I'm missing the natl mall for riding! Generally prefer anything off concrete or away from vehicles...nothing too advanced or technical.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So fucking true. If you ever want to lose all hope, just read the comments....
    reading comment sections is like looking in a pit toilet

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    reading comment sections is like looking in a pit toilet
    Ha!

And the stop sign bill just passed the house. Fingers crossed for the Senate approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    Where's the nearest place to Murray to to do some fun riding? + if the crowds aren't too big, even if I have to go during off times. Just moved from DC and although I'm loving the mountains, I'm missing the natl mall for riding! Generally prefer anything off concrete or away from vehicles...nothing too advanced or technical.

TIA
    Are you talking about the gravelly paths that line the National Mall? We don't really have much that directly compares to that, most of the riding is either paved roads or real singletrack. There are some decent paved bike paths like the Jordan River Trail and the (short) Big Cottonwood Canyon Trail (which is at the mouth of the canyon). There is some great dirt road riding around Eagle Mtn and out in the West Desert but it can be muddy sometimes in the winter. Jeremy Ranch Rd is an excellent smooth-ish dirt road near Park City that has snow on it until spring. Riding upper Mill Creek Canyon in late spring after it melts but before it opens to cars on July 1 is an excellent car-free road ride, same with American Fork.

Luckily most of our singletrack is less technical than the rocky-rooty stuff around DC. Corner Canyon would be the closest option to Murray but best to wait until Spring.

So, back to this dirt stuff it seems

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4495.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	365924

Took the dogs down to EM to see how things are looking and to give my taint a slight warm up for this weekend

Pretty sweet to warm up the legs and drink a parking lot beer after a somewhat frustrating ski season to date.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210305_162830~2.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	366042

More of a general regional beta question than a biking question:

I joined the dog owner club and get to learn all about watershed restrictions. From what I can tell everything in Draper west of Traverse is GTG for pooches? Ferguson, Deaf Smith, Oly/Heughs, and Neffs are all GTG? Do you have to deal with any of this north of City Creek?

From my City Creek experiences hunting and riding, you're good to go with dogs on the N/S sides of city creek, up until the water treatment plant, that being said, I don't think that is really an issue going out/up black mountain nor on the N side, you can basically drive an ATV to the City Creek ridge/grandview peak area from the Farmington Canyon 4x4 area, so I don't belive there are any restrictions on the N side either. There are not any watershed/no dogs signs on the S side of city creek on the ridge where I've been (almost to the base of black), and the N side/Lost Lad area, etc doesn't have any signage that I recall seeing last fall when riding there frequently. Lots of dog friends (myself included) have hiked Heughs with dogs, and Ferg/Neffs are both dog friendly as well. IIRC, the only strict regulations on "no dogs, watershed" N of LCC include LCC, BCC, and Parleys, and upper city creek.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Name:	SLC Watershed Map.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	366434
    SLC watershed

Name:	Protected Watershed Area Map 2019_201908120852578970.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	366435
    Draper watershed

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    IIRC, the only strict regulations on "no dogs, watershed" N of LCC include LCC, BCC, and Parleys, and upper city creek.
    From what I can tell everything above BST from Rocky Mouth to Traverse Rd (Sawmill, Trail of the Eagle, Cherry Canyon, CC Road, Sivogah, Jacobs) is all strictly off-limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    SLC watershed

Draper watershed
    Yeah, I found those. The SLC watershed map didn't look like it had been updated in some time so I wanted to be sure there weren't any new additions. The Draper map doesn't address anything west of Traverse and just wanted to confirm that all restrictions end at Traverse. Sounds like they do.

Rode the wood chips of Dimple dell
    Fun ride and dry. Corner Canyon should be dry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

anyone know what’s up with the closed signs on the shoreline around red butte? (north of red butte)

Building a massive new water tank up there. There are some sings explaining.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k you cat View Post
    Corner Canyon should be dry.
    Not even close. Anything above the Ghost Falls bridge is a snowy mess and bound to get worse this week. Rattler and points north are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post

Name:	SLC Watershed Map.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	366434
    SLC watershed

Name:	Protected Watershed Area Map 2019_201908120852578970.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	366435
    Draper watershed
    Those maps are pretty accurate. Essentially anything south of the new Peakview parking lot is fair game.

Blaylock is a good one with the dogs @DTM, pretty sure that's all legal (other than the off leash part) and it's a shorter loop.

Blaylock definitely occurred to me. But, for the time being I'm going to stick with hikes and runs. The new pooch is 1 y.o. so basically a 50 lb puppy and his former owners never took him on trails. It's going to be a while before I'm comfortable riding with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Blaylock definitely occurred to me. But, for the time being I'm going to stick with hikes and runs. The new pooch is 1 y.o. so basically a 50 lb puppy and his former owners never took him on trails. It's going to be a while before I'm comfortable riding with him.
    I'd start at Hidden Valley park and head south in CC. There's a ton of offshoots that are pup friendly. It typically has quite a few trail users and other dog owners, if you're looking to get the puppy used to other trail users.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I'd start at Hidden Valley park and head south in CC. There's a ton of offshoots that are pup friendly. It typically has quite a few trail users and other dog owners, if you're looking to get the puppy used to other trail users.
    That was pretty much what I was thinking. Start with some flat stuff to get his fitness and paw pads built up, then hopefully start doing the steeper stuff I prefer. He's great around other people so far, but goes nuts when we see another dog in the 'hood. Hopefully BST Doggieland will help out with that.

Sucks that Sawmill and Cherry Canyon are off-limits, those are some of my go-to runs.

Lambert is also a great spot, I'm guessing it's probably gotta be dry or close to dry too. I've started both my dogs out there. Short loops, never far from the car, usually not very busy.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Lambert is also a great spot, I'm guessing it's probably gotta be dry or close to dry too. I've started both my dogs out there. Short loops, never far from the car, usually not very busy.
    Yup. There's water in a couple spots too, which you'll learn is nice for them to cool off.

Sticking with the dog theme

Name:	IMG_4516.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	366649

I've actually never ridden Lambert and never would have thought of it, thanks.

Where do you guys tend to ignore leash laws?

Most places but I guess it’s situational. As long as it’s not crowded I’ll let them off. My puppy who is mostly pretty good at listening has a special collar for biking with a retractable leash built in. Comes in handy at times.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MBHWT23..._s1KOURS8g2QDV