Page 23 of 101 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Holy shit, what an idiot. Definitely for the best that he got stuck there, getting farther would only have made his life worse.
    I'm kinda surprised he made it up that far, did he come up from bcc? I recall a truck getting stuck at s-curves before, though I guess that was winter but still... s-curves has gotta be wall-to-wall with poorly parked cars belonging to folks wandering up lake blanche that time of day...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I'm kinda surprised he made it up that far, did he come up from bcc?
    Came up from PC, that's the last switchback below Empire Pass.

Came up from PC, that's the last switchback below Empire Pass.
    lol, lucky he got stuck there indeed

What is the easiest way to climb snowbird. Taking a kid over to pre ride the enduro course and haven’t been there before?

Climbing up the BMT is much better than the standard fireroad combo. That is miserable.

Technically it is DH only after 11 based on signage but with the tram not carrying bikes it's not too big of a deal IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    What is the easiest way to climb snowbird. Taking a kid over to pre ride the enduro course and haven’t been there before?
    Here's the course map: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat.../SBME3_MAP.jpg

Looks like the climb for both stages is Gad Summer Road and Rothman. If the point is race prep I'd climb that route at least once so they know what they're in for.

As for the best way to get up Snowbird in general, my opinion on this subject is unpopular
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-08-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Had an encounter with a badger on the trail yesterday in pc...was rolling along and noticed a fresh pile of dirt/big hole right in the middle of the trail, normally I’d just zip right by it but was on a steep skidder and it threw me off the line...time I stopped was right on top of it...must’ve spooked the badger while he was digging because he was right in front of me, he either charged me or was trying to get into his hole...I screamed bloody murder and he actually got pinned under my front wheel for a moment thrashing about hissing then he ran away and left a nasty stink...all happened so fast within a few seconds! Little rascals are gnarly

Wasatch Dirt Thread

Some pics from the last week around the locale.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0796.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	904.7 KB 
ID:	336647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0798.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	897.5 KB 
ID:	336648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0802.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	609.7 KB 
ID:	336649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0807.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	954.8 KB 
ID:	336650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0808.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	709.8 KB 
ID:	336651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0815.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	336652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0810.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	336653
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

You were lucky. I’ve had one attack a truck I was driving. They are mean!

Scoping out a new zone with mar123, don’t bother asking I can’t share the location

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	336687

Name:	IMG_3038.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	336688

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    Had an encounter with a badger on the trail yesterday in pc...was rolling along and noticed a fresh pile of dirt/big hole right in the middle of the trail, normally I’d just zip right by it but was on a steep skidder and it threw me off the line...time I stopped was right on top of it...must’ve spooked the badger while he was digging because he was right in front of me, he either charged me or was trying to get into his hole...I screamed bloody murder and he actually got pinned under my front wheel for a moment thrashing about hissing then he ran away and left a nasty stink...all happened so fast within a few seconds! Little rascals are gnarly
    Scary stuff. They are aggressive and if cornered can really do some damage. That whole family of critters punches way above its weight.

For real ...my second encounter with one up there in the last 2 years...this one was pretty scary, shits game on when something is running at you, lucky it got pinned under my front wheel and not get tangled up with it under my bike and legs....easily could’ve been sliced open and trip to the hospital...theres badger holes everywhere up there, but rarely ever see them.

I saw a Wolverine once while riding in Alta a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Climbing up the BMT is much better than the standard fireroad combo. That is miserable.

Technically it is DH only after 11 based on signage but with the tram not carrying bikes it's not too big of a deal IMO.
    Thanks Dan,

My oldest is in the enduro and I used this excuse to bring my 11 year old daughter. Climbing the Gravel road was not fun. Climbing BMT was. The trails over there are in much nicer shape than anything in Park City. It's amazing how a few extra degrees of pitch on the climb keeps the crowds away.

We probably only encountered 8 bikes on the descent as we climbed and everyone was nice. She was dead after that climb.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I saw a Wolverine once while riding in Alta a long time ago.
    Say what???
    Hopefully it's long gone along with all of its relatives, I do not want to have to worry about wolverines in the Wasatch. I saw one from a distance while on a hut trip in Canada and didn't need to get close to know that it wasn't a critter I ever wanted to interact with. The way it moved around in deep snow oozed badassness.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Say what???
    Hopefully it's long gone along with all of its relatives, I do not want to have to worry about wolverines in the Wasatch. I saw one from a distance while on a hut trip in Canada and didn't need to get close to know that it wasn't a critter I ever wanted to interact with. The way it moved around in deep snow oozed badassness.
    As it sounds like you know; there’s a lot of magic up in Alta.

This was probably 2000. Initially thought it was a badger but the coloring was different. Probably 30ish pounds. Didn’t want anything to do with me and made a snarling hissing sound as it scrambled off into the big rocks above the Castle loop.

Went to the community library above the fire station to fire up the internet and confirm.

Name:	IMG_3043.jpg 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	336887

Name:	IMG_3046.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	336888

Name:	IMG_3045.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	336889

Name:  IMG_2020.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  265.6 KB
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Name:	IMG_3060.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	336947

I keep checking the weather hoping to see rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post

Name:	IMG_3060.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	336947

I keep checking the weather hoping to see rain.
    I get so burned out this time every year with the heat and no rain. I haven't ridden in two weeks and don't feel a real itch to go. Come on Fall!
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    I get so burned out this time every year with the heat and no rain. I haven't ridden in two weeks and don't feel a real itch to go. Come on Fall!
    May I suggest you stop being a little bitch?

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    Yeah, it can be tough. I'm usually in Whistler for August but not this year. I normally switch to riding the moto more when it gets hot and dry, keeps things fun and with the better tires and suspension riding blown out trails is still a good time.

+1. Sure the trails are blown out, but get a decently early start and the heat isn't that bad.

fwiw it rained a few mins at my house by the U last night, and the puddle at the bottom of bobsled was bigger than usual this morning

This, seriously.