Thread: Google Fi

Google Fi

Anyone using it? Like the sound of unlimited data in 200+ countries without having to buy local SIM cards, too good to be true? Currently on Verizon, and their .5 gigs per day is killing me.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Anyone using it? Like the sound of unlimited data in 200+ countries without having to buy local SIM cards, too good to be true? Currently on Verizon, and their .5 gigs per day is killing me.
    There's a thread in TechTalk about it, several pages, lots of feedback. the TLDR is that it's great if you're in a civilized area with a bunch of wi-fi access points or if you're traveling internationally a lot. If you're in the middle of nowhere reception is more of an issue than with Verizon.
    Ms Boissal and I are on a 2-person plan, our bill has been <$100 a month for over 2 years now, and we score a mad deal on Pixel3s last year when Google was giving away Delta gift cards for the value of the brand new phone.

edit: can't find the thread, might be info scattered in the What phone now thread.

Looked at their domestic coverage map, basically they don't cover any of the places I go in the states except the big cities. I guess I'll stick with Verizon.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Network is mostly Tmobile and Sprint, so either the coverage works for you or it doesn't. I had it for a few years and liked it. Seamless wifi calling can be really nice to have. Recently dropped it for Xfinity Wireless after we switched to Xfinity for internet. Xfinity wireless is Verizon network and stupid cheap, but you have to be an Xfinity internet or cable customer.

Looked at their domestic coverage map, basically they don't cover any of the places I go in the states except the big cities. I guess I'll stick with Verizon.
    Their coverage map is a combination of Sprint and T-Mobile towers. So if you are relying on cellular data only, then both AT&T and Verizon will beat the cellular data maps. But the other part of the Google Fi is that if there is wifi around, it will work and allow the calls and data usage without going through the cellular towers. This is similar now to Spectrum, Comcast (Xfinity) and some other cellular offerings where they have their own network of hotspots through cable subscribers. Both of them though use Verizon cellular network if wifi is not available. But unlike Google, I think both of those requires you to have their cable internet (as verified by Dantheman above that beat me to some of the differences).

Google Fi from what I have read is a savings if you are a lower end cellular data user, or if you need to do the international data (which T-Mobile offers I believe also some international data when you have one of their plans.

Much of the Google Fi discussion is in the What phone now thread.

Fi also uses US Cellular which is great downeast Maine. So also check US Cellular coverage. It is in some unexpected places.

I put my son on the group plan for our 9 days in Spain. It worked very well.

Ain't no big cities in UT and the only place I consistently struggle to get reception is the west desert. Coverage isn't as good as Verizon but we're not talking inability to make a call the second you are more than 10 miles away from downtown LA...

Of note, the cellular data cost is $10/Gb and capped at $100 so any data used in excess of 10Gb is free. Our bill for 2 is essentially capped at $135 ($35 being the price of the 2 lines).

For a single user, I think cellular data is capped at $60?

I have been using it for a couple of years. I find coverage pretty good, and I love the wifi aspect of it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Of note, the cellular data cost is $10/Gb and capped at $100 so any data used in excess of 10Gb is free. Our bill for 2 is essentially capped at $135 ($35 being the price of the 2 lines).
    Unlimited on Xfinity is $45/line. Talk/text is free. We go by the gig since we don't use much, and when we signed up Galaxy A50s were $250 off (normally $350). Last month we stayed under 1 gig and our entire bill (two lines, payments on two A50s, plus all taxes and fees) was $25.xx

I don't see how moving to Fi is going to be a different experience for you. In other words, the benefit of Fi is jumping on public Wifi to use data and make calls. Fi supplements with cell service that flexes as you need it. That should be the only real difference for you. In other words, if you think there's a big advantage of being able to jump on wifi to solve your needs, why not do that right now while still on your Verizon plan?

I've been on Fi for a couple years. Generally better coverage around Boulder/ Front Range than ATT. I'm sure it would be worse in other places. Much cheaper in general and much cheaper when traveling in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I don't see how moving to Fi is going to be a different experience for you. In other words, the benefit of Fi is jumping on public Wifi to use data and make calls. Fi supplements with cell service that flexes as you need it. That should be the only real difference for you. In other words, if you think there's a big advantage of being able to jump on wifi to solve your needs, why not do that right now while still on your Verizon plan?
    The real reason I was looking into it is I am going on a big multi month international trip next year and the not having to get a new SIM for every country/region I go to is a huge advantage. My current Verizon plan works fine besides the price, I get service of some type almost everywhere. I just wish there was truly unlimited data so I could hot spot video games when on remote job sites, but I don't think anyone does that.

The coverage map for my home city is almost comical.

Name:  fi.png
Views: 249
Size:  66.3 KB

The real reason I was looking into it is I am going on a big multi month international trip next year and the not having to get a new SIM for every country/region I go to is a huge advantage. My current Verizon plan works fine besides the price, I get service of some type almost everywhere. I just wish there was truly unlimited data so I could hot spot video games when on remote job sites, but I don't think anyone does that.

The coverage map for my home city is almost comical.
    Are cell data fees on Fi going to be cost effective? I would suspect not.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Are cell data fees on Fi going to be cost effective? I would suspect not.
    International data costs the same as domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    International data costs the same as domestic.
    Ya. Love it.

Is it anything like Semper Fi?

GoooogleRah!
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Unlimited on Xfinity is $45/line. Talk/text is free. We go by the gig since we don't use much, and when we signed up Galaxy A50s were $250 off (normally $350). Last month we stayed under 1 gig and our entire bill (two lines, payments on two A50s, plus all taxes and fees) was $25.xx
    Was looking into it. Did you buy/rent their router/modem?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Was looking into it. Did you buy/rent their router/modem?
    No, I bought a compliant one off Amazon for about $80. Works great.

Just to be clear, that was just the total for our cell phone bill. Intertubes is a separate bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    No, I bought a compliant one off Amazon for about $80. Works great.

Just to be clear, that was just the total for our cell phone bill. Intertubes is a separate bill.
    Thanks. That was my clear understanding.

I've had it for several years and I'm pretty happy with it. It's by far the best international travel plan for US residents. I've used it in probably 15 countries on 3 continents and it is seamless. As soon as I land it just works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I've had it for several years and I'm pretty happy with it. It's by far the best international travel plan for US residents. I've used it in probably 15 countries on 3 continents and it is seamless. As soon as I land it just works.
    And, if you have a kid going to school abroad in a country, like Canada, where data plans are expensive, adding them to a Fi group plan is a no brainer. They just have to activate their line in the US. And said kid is going to spend a bunch of time this summer in a US Cellular coverage area (WTF Northeast and Downeast Maine???).

I've had it for three years or so now. I work at a college and live very nearby, so most of my life is spent connected to WiFi, which makes it cheap. If I wasn't often on WiFi and used a lot of data, i might look at other data unlimited services.

I definitely love the seamless international coverage. It's very convenient to land and get a message saying that you're connected and data and messaging rates are the same. I had trouble with my network some places in rural India, but only the state's rural extension network worked there. I have the Pixel 2, which can run Fi without a SIM. That made it pretty easy to just get a local SIM and switch back and forth as necessary.

The approach that works well for me and my GF is I maintain my AT&T cell and she has her google fi cell.

- Intl trips hers is the mainstay
    - Domestic road trips in the van we stream music etc via mine since I have unlimited data plan
    - cell coverage is generally complementary since different networks
    - huge side benefit of Fi is you can get another SIM card and it costs you nothing — just the data it accrues, if any, that month. I installed a MIMO antennae and router in the van, and having no monthly ‘account’ fee (unlike fuckers at Verizon or AT&T) is nice

used Fi for years, no issues. Extra data-only SIMs are amazing, international coverage is seamless & awesome. Issues with iphones (which are now kinda supported), so would keep with android phones for the moment.