Down CD 104 Demo Idea (187cm)

A pair of this year's CD 104s (new, unmounted) has traversed the Continental Divide to chez mois - the idea being that it become a demo "fleet" of one (or more?)

I'm thinking of mounting them with an MNC demo binding (Warden MNC, Aaatack 14 AT, etc.) to share with Colorado Front Range maggots.

The challenge ... I don't own any demo bindings.

Is anyone with MNC demo bindings gathering dust interested in putting this together? I'll do the mount. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll mount either a pair of standard Wardens on them or possibly Vipecs.

If I do the Wardens, I would still be happy to loan them out. They'd be mounted for BSL = 296, so would likely work to 310 or so.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-14-2020 at 02:18 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

A have a pair of Salomon demo bindings that I'd donate to the cause. Don't remember what kind at the moment but they are NOT MNC. Let me know if you don't get what you are looking for and are interested.

Not sure if you're aware of this Thom, but black diamond sells vipec rental mount plates for $75. Plug and play on regular mount...
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Down has been super generous over the years, I'll donate some $$$ for the bindings.

Dang! Good guy Thom!!

I would donate a pair of Xenics to this cause if you can find a rental plate for them.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Pretty sure I have a complete attack 13 demo under the bench, 95mm brakes might be pushing it but they’re free.

Yeah, Down has been great. Frankly, I don't know if increasing their popularity (supporting a bigger Summer buy) is a nuisance for Simen and Geo or if it helps them grow their brand.

Thinking about this, it may not make sense to mount the CD 104s for touring, 'coz it means hunting down some skins. Maybe I'm wrong?

@rudy / @ZomblibulaX - I only have WTR boots and touring boots, so if it's a non-touring binding, it should be MNC. I have 2 buddies wirh similar boot quivers who want to ski these.

@dschane - thanks, let's see if something local (Colo) shows up.

@tgapp - are you thinking of these skis spendimg some time in Utah? They just left there yesterday ;-)

Ideally, a pair of local (Colo) MNC binders need a temporary parking place.

I'll keep this thread alive (and bump it), and hopefully we can get these skis ready in 10-14 days.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-13-2020 at 09:32 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Yeah, Down has been great. Frankly, I don't know if increasing their popularity (supporting a bigger Summer buy) is a nuisance for Simen and Geo or if it helps them grow their brand.

In the last few hours, I just learned that a deal I'm about to close on includes Vipec demo tracks.

After I suss out these other skis, I'll need to return my Vipecs to their "permanent " home, but the tracks may serve on these Downs.

Thinking about this, it may not make sense to mount the CD 104s for touring, 'coz it means hunting down some skins. Maybe I'm wrong?

@rudy / @ZomblibulaX - I only have WTR boots and touring boots, so if it's a non-touring binding, it should be MNC. I have 2 buddies wirh similar boot quivers who want to ski these.

@dschane - thanks, let's see if something local (Colo) shows up.

@tgapp - are you thinking of these skis spendimg some time in Utah? They just left there yesterday ;-)

Ideally, a pair of local (Colo) MNC binders need a temporary parking place.

I'll keep this thread alive (and bump it), and hopefully we can get these skis ready in 10-14 days.

... Thom
    ha, no, but I would love to try them out if the opportunity presented itself. I just wanted to contribute here. My offer stands

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ha, no, but I would love to try them out if the opportunity presented itself. I just wanted to contribute here. My offer stands
    Thanks! I promise I'll at least bring my 181 CD 104s out to your neck of the woods next Winter (currently mounted with Vipecs for about 284-305 BSL). I think those skis are keepers, and worthy of a sub 300g. binder at some point (never too shy to drill a few more holes ).

My take ... the Colorado maggot contingent should put up (binders), since they collectively stand to benefit from this.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks! I promise I'll at least bring my 181 CD 104s out to your neck of the woods next Winter (currently mounted with Vipecs for about 284-305 BSL). I think those skis are keepers, and worthy of a sub 300g. binder at some point (never too shy to drill a few more holes ).

My take ... the Colorado maggot contingent should put up (binders), since they collectively stand to benefit from this.

... Thom
    i was just so offended by the idea of putting frame bindings on a ski like that that i felt like i HAD to step up and offer

friends don't let friends ride frames

Definitely no frame binders.

The "debate" is between something like a a Vipec and a demo alpine binder that accommodates touring soles.

I once mounted a pair of Dukes, and I kid you not ... skating to the lift, I felt a stretch/strain on my medial knee ligaments. Skiing on them sucked, and I took them off the skis the next day. My knees don't like high stack height, but I suspect something else was wrong (for me) with these binders as well.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-05-2020 at 02:27 PM.
    Galibier Design

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Dug up a couple pair of griffon and attack demos, but none of them are MNC. Good luck, good on ya.

Bumpin' fer binders (demo: Warden MNC, Aaatack AT 14, etc.).

On a related note, I'm wondering how many folks might be interested in riding on these here in Colorado (preparation in advance of next season's group buy). Are we full of it? Is this worth the effort?

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Bumperoo ...

Anybody interested in loaning some MNC demo binders for collective sharing of these CD 104s?

What I find interesting is that while they closely resemble an older pair of CD 104s I picked up from @rudy (burgundy topsheet), these new ones quite a bit burlier in hand flexing.

They feel similar to my CD114s (18/19 model year) in "burl" factor ... stiff tail. They ought to charge.

[edit]Well ... we're shutting lifts down for the year. Maybe I'll take @tgapp up on the offer for Xenics. These skis have been unloved and gathering dust.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-15-2020 at 03:04 AM.
    Galibier Design