Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    This makes me sad. Those were my favorite skis for hauling ass on shitty low tide conditions. Any similar replacements to look at?
    New Dynastar M-Pro 105, 99, 90.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I'd blame pro skiers who have found they don't need huge heavy skis to do most of their skiing, thanks to new design and tech. And we are the goofballs to them.
    We'd second this...with a solid shape and a full-length wood core, it's really difficult to see how a heavier ski would blast through crud better.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    This makes me sad. Those were my favorite skis for hauling ass on shitty low tide conditions. Any similar replacements to look at?
    Woah...bummer...the Head Monster 88 has been by every day go to out east for a few years now. Love that ski.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Nobody else wants fucking cutting boards on their skis. Jesus Christ.
    Resistance is futile. It's a bigger picture, long game thing. U don't need eyes to see, you need vision. Cutting board tail and tip xtendrz are the first steps to the eventual target. A ski fully modifiable to suit preferences and snow conditions of the day with re and re able differently shaped and preferred length tip and tail component pieces. A Lego ski, if u will. 10 year target to turn the ski manufacturing industry on its head.

In other news; for a true heavy old school kinda skinny ski that dominates everything crud related, still can't beat the good old circa year 2000ish Volant Ti Chubb 190's. The love affair continues to this day. They get the nod on cruddy hill days and for spring refreeze supportive and/or breakable crust and corn on April heli ski days. Heavy metal rocks on.
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  5.0 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 03-04-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I'd blame pro skiers who have found they don't need huge heavy skis to do most of their skiing, thanks to getting paid to chase powder. And we are the goofballs to them.
    FIFY

Seriously, Wren 108ti.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Blizzard Bodacious

The Blizzard bodacious quite a heavy charging ski. But is sad to see skis like the Faction 13 and hte Original Dynastar legends disappear. Less straight line skis are available to buy.
    I have a pair of the Arne Backstrom Edition of the Blizzard bodacious skis for sale. New in Plastic 186cm length for $500

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    FIFY
    When have they not been paid to chase powder?

The AB Bodacious is the ski you’re looking for. It’s a lot easier to ski than you think.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0887.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	319609

Name:	IMG_0888.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	535.1 KB 
ID:	319610

Sent from inside the house
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

What's the story on the Rossi Black Ops? Heavy? Does Volkl offer anything these days? The Mantra of old was a TANK. Atomic had some heavyweights too. Is this in part that there are so many "boutique" makers in the powder-chaser space, and that they are great skis with lotsa buzz, but a lot of those smaller makers don't have the technical capability to make metal chargers?
    Gravity. It's the law.

I have a pair of 192 bro blems that are a lot of ski.
    kinda swiss cheesy
    Drivers @335
    Pivots at 335ish (I think) and 1/2 a mount (a heel mismount at ginourmous bsl sasquatch)

I’ve only been using these occasionally to coach myself when my technique is getting sloppy.
    Would rather have skins for my 185 qst118s, or money for skins.
    Lemme know.

I had (still have!) those Line Influences and moved last year to the Nordica Enforcer. I felt right at home.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    What's the story on the Rossi Black Ops? Heavy? Does Volkl offer anything these days? The Mantra of old was a TANK. Atomic had some heavyweights too. Is this in part that there are so many "boutique" makers in the powder-chaser space, and that they are great skis with lotsa buzz, but a lot of those smaller makers don't have the technical capability to make metal chargers?
    The Volkl Mantra 102 has been delivering for me of late.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Black Ops 118 is about 2450g at 184cm, among the heaviest in its class.

There are options from smaller brands, but I do think it’s more of a challenge for them to work with laminates and whatnot at a smaller production level. More often you can customize core woods to achieve heavier/more damp options from them.

Boutique growth also paralleled with the marketization of touring and their push for lighter gear over the last decade. I think that helped skew offerings that direction.

Folsom, Praxis, Parlor, Fatypus, have been known for burliest builds, along with post-boutiques ON3P, Moment, and the $$$ Igneous, Bomber types

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I have a pair of 192 bro blems that are a lot of ski.
    kinda swiss cheesy
    Drivers @335
    Pivots at 335ish (I think) and 1/2 a mount (a heel mismount at ginourmous bsl sasquatch)

I’ve only been using these occasionally to coach myself when my technique is getting sloppy.
    Would rather have skins for my 185 qst118s, or money for skins.
    Lemme know.
    So there's your answer. Where did they go? They're right here and nobody wants them. That's why nobody is making new ones.

I likes the heavyweights. I'm 5'9" and move between 195-215 lbs. depending.
    And skiing JH allows for a lotta room to roll them.

Name:	heavy.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	1,015.7 KB 
ID:	319709

So heavy they gotta lay sideways.

J Skis the metal is heavy. 2350g for the 186. It is not burly tho.

Got the Black Ops 118 in mail! Can't wait to steamroll through everything.

Just thought about another - the older Liberty Variant. While I haven’t been on their new V series skis, they are racking up the accolades, and now they have the one that is a cross between the Origin and the V series - 90 & 100 waist with a new width in the works for next season.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Can't believe I didn't think of this sooner...my Kastle FX104...took the dynafits off (it's just been sitting around since I got my new touring setup..black crowes)...threw a pair of extra pivots on there...boom! How you like that for a traditional mount point!

Name:	the skis.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	319886

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    So there's your answer. Where did they go? They're right here and nobody wants them. That's why nobody is making new ones.
    So true...

My wife and I both have the first generation Cochise. Same construction as the first Bodacious but 108 under foot. Two sheets of metal, 28 m radius, limited rise and no camber. The skis are chargers but pivot and slarve easily.Earlier this week I was skiing 6 to 10 inches of windsift over grabby old snow and they just rip through with no deflection. Blizzard had to make it more 'accessible' (easier) so they lightened it and put in camber. Still a strong ski but not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    My wife and I both have the first generation Cochise. Same construction as the first Bodacious but 108 under foot. Two sheets of metal, 28 m radius, limited rise and no camber. The skis are chargers but pivot and slarve easily.Earlier this week I was skiing 6 to 10 inches of windsift over grabby old snow and they just rip through with no deflection. Blizzard had to make it more 'accessible' (easier) so they lightened it and put in camber. Still a strong ski but not the same.
    The second generation Cochise was heavier than the first... Actually the very first year was the lightest they ever were. They got heavier and heavier over the years.

I’ve been skiing the Rustler 9 for the past two weeks, and yesterday got out my MX98s. Took me a run or two to get used to the weight on my feet, but driving then came right back. Felt like a pair of comfy old shoes.

Heavy and light skis have their place. I’m really enjoying both.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    The AB Bodacious is the ski you’re looking for. It’s a lot easier to ski than you think.

Name:	IMG_0887.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	319609

Name:	IMG_0888.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	535.1 KB 
ID:	319610

Sent from inside the house
    What length are you skiing? 196cm is too much ski for me at the resort with moguls, and the actual length of the 186 seems slightly short