Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where'd the heavy skis go?

So, every once in a while, I start dreaming about the next ski to get and I make a post on here. Maybe I'm an old fuddy-dud, but I'm constantly longing for a traditional heavy ski with good effective edge. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some lighter skis touring and whatnot, but for blasting around on chop at the resort, give me a damp, stable ski with good effective edge and a traditional mounting point.

But I must say, whether it was my everyday western ski when I lived west, or my soft day eastern ski....I always think back to my incredible Line Influence 105. Best $300 I probably ever spend. Who is still making a ski like this? It demolished chop (way better than the Line Supernatural 108), held an edge well, and had a turn radius what was still fun to carve. More traditional, flat-ish tail, a reasonable amount of early rise.

Who still makes a ski like this? Only Stockli or Kastle?

Blame the backcountry fad. The number of goofballs I see skiing lift served in AT gear has reached a new high.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Blame the backcountry fad. The number of goofballs I see skiing lift served poorly in AT gear has reached a new high.
    FIFY

Agreed. It’s desperation stem christy on groomed blue

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Praxis Rx

Kastle makes some heavy skis, the new (not red) MX98 is supposed to be a charger. Volkl has 4 skis between 98 and 108mm wide that might fit what you are looking for. They still exist, just not in the quantity they used to

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

K2 and Nordica are both making some pretty heavy traditionalish skis. The K2 Mindbender 99ti and Nordica Enforcer 100 are both over 2300 grams per ski with mount points of -11 and -8 respectively. The other skis in the Mindbender and Enforcer lines are similar as well. Rossi went all in on the lighter is better trend until they rolled out some of the Black Ops lines, but they have pretty centered mounts.

Blizzard is also still making heavy skis. The bodacious is a phenomenal resort pow/chop ski. The new cochise is supposed to be a great ski as well.

Where'd the heavy skis go?

There’s a cheap ass pair of 194 4frnt devastators with metal bindings on gear swap. yeah yeah, they’re twin tip without a traditional mount point. They’d be my first choice for a ski off and they can carve 25m like a Ginsu. Pretty ridiculously heavy

Last edited by Self Jupiter; 03-03-2020 at 04:10 PM.

Just checked and the Influence 105 was around 2250 grams per ski which is also similar to the Enforcer 104 and Mindbender 108. ON3Ps Wrenegade series has -10cm+ mount points are the 108s weigh in around 2200 grams.

DIY heavy skis. Add vibration damping and ski length via hot glue gun tips and cutting board tail xtendrz. In total, I added one pound per ski to result in total weight of just shy of 2800 grams per ski. The benefits have been somewhat surprising. Zero chatter on ice/hard crusts, more mass for blasting through crud and chop. Hard to believe but swing weight hasn't been affected too adversely; I drive the skis using a forward/shin pressure stance, so they pop and pivot effortlessly...just gotta work in synch with the skis tip rocker contact/pivot point for short turns and they basically turn themselves.

Name:  P1120900.JPG
Views: 2545
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  P1120792.JPG
Views: 2446
Size:  35.6 KB

Master of mediocrity.

Dynastar Pro Rider F Team

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    DIY heavy skis. Add vibration damping and ski length via hot glue gun tips and cutting board tail xtendrz. In total, I added one pound per ski to result in total weight of just shy of 2800 grams per ski. The benefits have been somewhat surprising. Zero chatter on ice/hard crusts, more mass for blasting through crud and chop. Hard to believe but swing weight hasn't been affected too adversely; I drive the skis using a forward/shin pressure stance, so they pop and pivot effortlessly...just gotta work in synch with the skis tip rocker contact/pivot point for short turns and they basically turn themselves.

Name:  P1120900.JPG
Views: 2545
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  P1120792.JPG
Views: 2446
Size:  35.6 KB

That is pretty wild!

There’s a pair of 191(?) Head Super Mojos at Boomtown Sports in Nelson. Probably get them for next to nothing. Drilled once no core shots. I almost bought them.

Bunch of other heavy old school chargers too, Tankers, Explosives, Launchers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Freeskier View Post
    Dynastar Pro Rider F Team
    This.

Dynastar is coming out with a few options that'll satisfy this criteria next year. M-Pro 99, 90, and 84 plus the 105 (aka the Pro Rider).

The M-Free 108 should be wicked fun too.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Blame the backcountry fad. The number of goofballs I see skiing lift served in AT gear has reached a new high.
    I'd blame pro skiers who have found they don't need huge heavy skis to do most of their skiing, thanks to new design and tech. And we are the goofballs to them.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Blizzard is also still making heavy skis. The bodacious is a phenomenal resort pow/chop ski. The new cochise is supposed to be a great ski as well.
    The Blizzard Rustler 11 comes in at 2052g at 188cm. Having ridden a pair, they'll eat up any mank you throw at it.

For a thinner waisted offering, like someone hinted earlier the Volkl Mantra M5 for example weighs almost identical to the Rustler 11, but it's narrower (titanal layer certainly helps this). Another crud eating monster.

Like you I like heavy, damp skis inbounds.

Quote Originally Posted by SILENCER View Post
    The Blizzard Rustler 11 comes in at 2052g at 188cm. Having ridden a pair, they'll eat up any mank you throw at it.

For a thinner waisted offering, like someone hinted earlier the Volkl Mantra M5 for example weighs almost identical to the Rustler 11, but it's narrower (titanal layer certainly helps this). Another crud eating monster.

Like you I like heavy, damp skis inbounds.
    I demo'd a pair of Rustler 10s a couple years ago but never got on a pair of 11s. Planning to demo a pair at Revelstoke next week and I'm really excited to compare them to the bodacious.

Fischer ranger 107 ti is a heavy directional ski, turning radius is shorter. I tried it’s little brother the 99 ti and found it to be very stable but still lively.

Nobody else wants fucking cutting boards on their skis. Jesus Christ.

Wren 108's are what you seek. I skied the 184ti a little. Felt like a brick under my feet, and rock steady. Didn't get a chance to open it up since I was in deep, tight trees, but you could just tell it could go 40+ mph while you sip hot tea.
    (It also slarved through tight spots very well. In fact, once I got used to the weight, some of which was probably the demo bindings, it was remarkably easy to ski. You could just tell it was ready to destroy anything if I let it.)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Black Crows Corvus
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Head Monster series, but they too are discontinuing.

I always turn to the race ski manufacturers and check for two sheets of metal. The OG Enforcer is stout as well as the Legend Pro Rider. Couldn't agree more about the weight is great and beater quiver of one skiing you see on prepared snow. Last I was at Squaw it seemed like half the punters were on AT gear. Saw a guy survival skiing on original Maestrales, which I own, and I think he had no idea that a basic rental would serve him better. Can't imagine skiing those slippers on a heavy ski in ice. Would make Hoji look like a goof, okay maybe not Hoji.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    There’s a pair of 191(?) Head Super Mojos at Boomtown Sports in Nelson. Probably get them for next to nothing. Drilled once no core shots. I almost bought them.

Bunch of other heavy old school chargers too, Tankers, Explosives, Launchers, etc.
    I have a pair of these in the garage. Next to a pair of K2 Apache Chiefs. And my current daily driver are Devastators. Lots of heavy skis here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Head Monster series, but they too are discontinuing.
    This makes me sad. Those were my favorite skis for hauling ass on shitty low tide conditions. Any similar replacements to look at?