Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Minion View Post
    Tgapp, I have one black, one red and one white currant bushes, I think the black is 'Ben Lomond' but not sure of the other two. The black and red can produce a good yield for single bushes (I just got about 5lb of red), the white not so much because it's a smaller bush. The red does good in partial shade, which means you can get some produce from a shady corner, but the black needs full sun. Soil is gritty alkaline loam and the bushes also hold up quite well to cold and frosts. I feed with a half dose of general purpose feed when the leaves come out, then another half dose after I picked the fruit (usually early September) in between these I feed with some Tomato feed. The currants store well in the freezer too, taking up minimal space. They do need protection from birds, but otherwise real easy and very productive. Location- UK, comparing your grow zones I'm in a 5 or 6 area.
    well if you're in the uk then ur garden is fucking proper mate.

i'm in zone 5. i just planted a redcurrant bush for the wifey, her being russian and all, it's a bit of a dietary staple. planted it in a shady corner, in a fairly clay-y/sandy soil. it was her idea to put it in the shade, we'll see how he does over there.

good to know tomato feed does the job. do you make tea from the leaves? might be the #1 reason we got a currant plant.

Do you have to plant everything on the opposite side of the garden in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Minion;6009184
    Pinot noir grapes in the greenhouse.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG
    332041[/ATTACH]
    Wow, those grapes are further along than i would have expected. Looks great, and glad you got the images figured out.

I'm about to have a plum fest provided the effin' squirrels don't discover the stash.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	546.7 KB 
ID:	332099

Potatoes coming along nicely too.

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	332100

and had enough stuff for my first traditional summer breakfast (cherry tomatoes, cucumber, canadian bacon, and a fried egg atop) one day this week.

Name:	IMG_1787 (2).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	551.8 KB 
ID:	332101

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Thanks! Wife just finished building it probably a day or two before I took the photo, so don't know yet. We put a pvc pipe down the middle for watering.

Wife has been on a woodworking kick lately and I'm not going to discourage her, although the garage is getting pretty filled with tools!
    did you get any berries? I might have to commission a tower from your wife if yes.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post

i'm in zone 5. i just planted a redcurrant bush for the wifey, her being russian and all, it's a bit of a dietary staple. planted it in a shady corner, in a fairly clay-y/sandy soil. it was her idea to put it in the shade, we'll see how he does over there.
    That sound ideal, similar to mine. I never made any currant tea though, will look into it, thanks.

Cheers Mike, all good thanks. I had a plum tree 'Czar' which was a heavy cropper with sweet fruit, but was getting too big and shaded a large patch of ground.Recommended to get if anyone has the yardspace/climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Minion View Post
    That sound ideal, similar to mine. I never made any currant tea though, will look into it, thanks
    It's really lovely. Just gather all the leaves right before the first frost and then dry them inside (either on a plastic sheet or using a food dehydrator). Makes for fantastic herbal tea.

And your garden is beautiful, really. Well done.

Garden 2020

Finally have a place were we can actually grow a garden, the boss wanted raised beds so that’s what she got

Name:	IMG_1763.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	332174
    Grew a bunch of starter plants

Name:	IMG_1950.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	332175
    Covered the boxes with some old boards

Name:	IMG_2055.JPG 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	332176
    As of today

Name:	IMG_2169.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	332177
    Apple, pear, and plum trees, there’s also four different cherry trees one has rainier type cherries

Name:	IMG_2176.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	332178
    Herbs

Name:	IMG_2168.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	332179Click image for larger version. 

“I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

How much dirt did it take to fill those?! Those mature fruit trees make me jealous. One thing to keep in mind if you haven't had fruit trees before is DO NOT leave fruit that falls on the ground to rot it will draw (lots of) wasps and other stinging pests. That fruit that falls and trimmings and such from the garden and lawnmower clippings will make great compost though so maybe build yourself a nice composter.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Finally have a place were we can actually grow a garden, the boss wanted raised beds so that’s what she got

Name:	IMG_1763.JPG 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	332174
    Grew a bunch of starter plants

Name:	IMG_1950.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	332175
    Covered the boxes with some old boards

As of today

Name:	IMG_2169.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	332177
    Apple, pear, and plum trees, there’s also four different cherry trees one has rainier type cherries

Name:	IMG_2176.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	332178
    Herbs

Name:	IMG_2168.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	332179Click image for larger version. 

Wow beautiful raised beds. I’ve never seen that design but it looks great for access. What is the purpose of the divider boards in the large rectangle?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    did you get any berries? I might have to commission a tower from your wife if yes.
    Berries are starting to ripen. We've probably got a dozen or so far, but most aren't quite there yet.

I wasn't sure that a bunch of stuff I planted from seed was going to make it so a few weeks later I started more inside. Well, nearly everything outside was successful and the inside stuff had to go out so now I have a bunch of large pots and containers in the aisles between the raised beds. Between that and all the suckers I pruned off the tomatoes being successful I'm so out of easy space to work with.

The neighbor asked if we could take down a few garbage trees that are shading his garden so I guess I'll use that new cordless chainsaw I got for fathers day and take them down. They're really straight and about 30 feet tall so I'll cut them to 3 and 8 foot pieces and make more beds. I wish good soil wasn't so expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Wow beautiful raised beds. I’ve never seen that design but it looks great for access. What is the purpose of the divider boards in the large rectangle?
    The boards are mostly to keep things straight
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    How much dirt did it take to fill those?! Those mature fruit trees make me jealous. One thing to keep in mind if you haven't had fruit trees before is DO NOT leave fruit that falls on the ground to rot it will draw (lots of) wasps and other stinging pests. That fruit that falls and trimmings and such from the garden and lawnmower clippings will make great compost though so maybe build yourself a nice composter.
    @10yds of dirt, I’ve already started a compost pile

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I wish good soil wasn't so expensive...
    This by far as been my biggest expense this year. Originally had 4 yards delivered thinking I'd be set for the summer. Ran out almost immediately. Have since been buying a few bags here and there as needed. Really should have had a second delivery, or one massive one originally.

I too am out of garden space and am using containers. I'm using the cheap ass black plastic mondi type stuff and even that is adding up.

I wish I could get a bulk delivery, can't have a truck drive up the hill and over the leach field so it has been all bags. I can drive the Durango up so I get 10-20 at a time. Thankfully I'm done with that for this year.

Pulled the first salad of the year today. Onions are still pretty small but the lemon cucumbers and iceberg lettuce were tasty. Tomatoes should be ready to start picking by the end of the week.

Frost over Memorial Day Weekend had things off to a slow start.

Name:	FC0DF15A-3306-46B5-8EB7-2567AAB55261.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	807.2 KB 
ID:	332257

Potato patch across the street. Should be able to feed all my Irish relatives.

Name:	3F343A53-85CF-4133-A87B-650E2F3C16AB.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	332258

Been foggy, but not much rain.

Nice cat!

Moved a bunch of stuff that was started in air pots to the garden and weeded.

Name:	21D38F98-3D7F-4B35-99C6-E9539514F7FC.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	332423

Name:	910FD12E-1003-4A60-A319-6A371CDE4F9F.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	332424
    watch out for snakes

Been slowly working on this project as funds allow since being laid off in March. Managed to source some really nice soil this week to fill the 5 beds I put together a few weeks ago. Added horse manure compost tonight and planted two of the beds after adding a layer of peat moss and potting soil to the top of them. Getting more of the potting soil and peat moss tomorrow so we can keep planting.

So far we have tomatoes, cucumber, squash, eggplant, peppers, and watermelon. Lots more to come. Hopeful we have some decent crops as this is has been alot of work so far. Fingers crossed.

Also, picked a huge bowl off my red currant bush today!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200625_201748.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	332660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200625_142017.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	332661

Will eventually put rock down on the plastic. Need more funds for that.

^^Looks great!

I need to pull about a dozen heads of lettuce today or tomorrow before they bolt. Anyone need some? Come get it. Please. Melons, squash, tomatoes and corn are doing so well, it's inspiring to see the effort playing out.

Lettuce is off the chart for us this year too - Probably our most successful year yet for Yellow squash.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Lettuce is off the chart for us this year too - Probably our most successful year yet for Yellow squash.
    Greater Toronto area zone 5b checking in - either it's my lack of skill or our climate but we never get fully formed 'head' lettuces, but this year our leafy lettuces and cabbages have been the best in recent memory as well. Leafy herbs are really good as well. Tomatoes and peppers growing very slow. Other stuff like carrots and celery seem to be doing ok but I have no experience growing those so don't know how to compare.

What are folks using to preserve the wood on their planters/raised beds? And what kind of wood. Raw pine falls apart in VT in 3 years or less. pressure Treated lumber is no bueno. Paints and stains can be toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    What are folks using to preserve the wood on their planters/raised beds? And what kind of wood. Raw pine falls apart in VT in 3 years or less. pressure Treated lumber is no bueno. Paints and stains can be toxic.
    we went back and forth on this and did a ton of research before finally settling on pressure treated wood. it's not a perfect solution but it's a helluva lot cheaper than redwood. since 2004 pressure treated wood has no longer had arsenic in it. check out some reading here:

https://www.pennlive.com/gardening/2...ber_for_a.html

sure, there is some copper in the new pressure treated woods, but the bioavailability of copper and it's uptake by garden plants is super low already.

i'll take my chances with this over grocery store tomatoes.

Brown tone pressure treated wont kill you. I also lined my new bed's sides with plastic to help with any paranoia about chemicals.