Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2020

Garden 2020

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Is August a bad time to plant grass seeds in some small bare spots and dry grass areas on my lawn? These days have been 90° at noon.
    Yes.

Wait until September

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yes.

Wait until September

Will do, thanks.

I plant grass all summer long. As long as you can keep it from drying out it grows great. It germinates much fast when it’s warm, usually within a week.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

I patch dog piss spots a lot in May and June into early July. But Mid July through August is a pain in the ass since it barely rains here (most years, not this year). Have to water like 2+ times a day at least and if you aren’t watering the rest of the yard you end up with random green patches.

Even way up here in Canada it's a pain. I've been babying a damaged spot all summer. Overseeding and topping with compost and or top dressing, multiple times and it still looks like shit. Keeping it moist, but not flooded.

Establishing new grass in the summer is a challenge.

If it’s a spot that needs attention mid summer sometimes I’ll buy a piece of sod and cut to fit the spot. Still have to water daily at first but much easier than sprouting and growing from seed.

I have some bare spots that I’ll wait on but also have an area where the grass is tan. Any suggestions on that area? I’ve been watering it but no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I have some bare spots that I’ll wait on but also have an area where the grass is tan. Any suggestions on that area? I’ve been watering it but no luck.
    Likely bugs

Morning haul. Squirrels are starting to get into the plums. The kids eat half the sun golds right off the plants too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1491.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	290.5 KB 
ID:	336620

Garden 2020

I dunno, I patch dog piss spots all spring summer and fall. I do it every other week. I have a system of 2 buckets and a tub/tote. One bucket has grass seed the other has potting soil. I put both buckets in the tote to move from spot to spot. Pull up the dead grass by hand the best I can and throw it in the tote. Sprinkle on some seed and give it a quick top dressing with the potting soil (make sure it’s good stuff and not full of wood chips and bark). Move on to the next spot. Usually do three waterings for the first few days but only for about 5-10 minutes. Just enough to get things wet. I have a sprinkler system so it’s not too hard to push a few buttons.

I think my grass looks pretty good.

Name:	IMG_7924.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	336628
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Morning haul. Squirrels are starting to get into the plums. The kids eat half the sun golds right off the plants too.

Name:	IMG_1491.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	290.5 KB 
ID:	336620
    Kids and squirrels. Can't win.

Any carrot growers here? My carrots look good from the surface - the tops are poking out of the soil, decent width, but when I pull them out they're only two or three inches long. I'm at day ~79 of a 60-75 day variety. Will the flavour be negatively affected if I leave them in the ground hoping they bulk up a bit?

Name:	20200808_125837.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	336639

AFAIK it won't hurt to leave them in longer and might even help if the weather cools off some.

Most of my fall crop is in now but I'm still looking for chick pea seeds as I still have space for more stuff and I like that, like most beans, they're good nitrogen fixers. It's questionable if there's enough time left for anything to ripen fully but I figure it can't hurt to try. Some years first frost is around 10/1 but others it can be as late as 11/10 so for a few dollars in seeds it's worth a shot.

My first try at corn was mostly a failure but I learned a bunch and the next attempt will be better. I got a total of 5 partially pollinated ears but they were tasty so that's encouraging.

First year growing potatoes, dug up the last of the purple variety. 27 pounds, giving me a total of 54 pounds.

Name:	AB234FB6-2382-4CEA-B173-1ADE381963EC.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	336675

Picked up some jars today, usually freeze stuff but going to can some tomatoes tomorrow. If that goes well I’ll research how to can pickles, I’m going to have a cucumber apocalypse soon. I already have a full fridge drawer of them and my vines are going wild. Salsa will be next, once I have the process dialed.

Have a full drawer of KQ’s and a gang of them curing in the garden.

Name:	565325BC-0CF1-444E-89A3-A4FA7B647FCE.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	336677
    Last edited by BobMc; 08-09-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Walla walla misuse

Best Chard I’ve ever had I planted late in the Fall. It overwintered and I pulled it early spring. It had a little bit of sweetness to it, so good.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    I dunno, I patch dog piss spots all spring summer and fall. I do it every other week. I have a system of 2 buckets and a tub/tote. One bucket has grass seed the other has potting soil. I put both buckets in the tote to move from spot to spot. Pull up the dead grass by hand the best I can and throw it in the tote. Sprinkle on some seed and give it a quick top dressing with the potting soil (make sure it’s good stuff and not full of wood chips and bark). Move on to the next spot. Usually do three waterings for the first few days but only for about 5-10 minutes. Just enough to get things wet. I have a sprinkler system so it’s not too hard to push a few buttons.

I think my grass looks pretty good.

Name:	IMG_7924.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	336628
    Nice grass.

Yea, I didn’t say it was impossible, just a pain in the ass as you pointed out.

Even with your sprinkler system you have to hand water the patches 3 times a day.

So for someone with no sprinkler system and a full time job it’s a pain in the ass to grow new grass from seed in peak summer in a region that has very little rain in August (PNW).

Zucchini question...

Have a plant that pumped out several good squashes fairly quickly, then several new started, got about 3-4” long, and turned yellow and rotted. Thoughts?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Zucchini question...

Have a plant that pumped out several good squashes fairly quickly, then several new started, got about 3-4” long, and turned yellow and rotted. Thoughts?
    Sounds like mine all season. Giant leafs, 3-4 inch long zucchini then rot and fall off.

I finally nuked them today to give my green beans and kale (on either side) room to grow more.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Zucchini question...

They didn’t pollinate. If you lack pollinators (Aka bees, bugs, butterflies) you can self pollinate. Take the male flowers and have them grab the female flowers by the pussy. IOW, bust off the male flowers, use them as a brush over those flowers that start out the tiny fruits.

Plant flowers and brightly colored plants near your vegetables to lure in pollinators. I water early in the morning, I believe that gets em ready for the day. My cucumbers and squash wilt a bit in the heat of the day, it seems to give the bugs a bit more room to see and navigate the blossoms.

It’s a tough line to walk between the bad fucking bugs (I’m looking at you squash bugs, grrr.) and those you need to pollinate. If you resort to using Sevin, (me) try to not get it on blossoms, get it on the ground where the bad bugs operate.

Just got an angry text from Ms Boissal about having to can this stuff:

Name:  5f5186fa-a429-4fd7-8db2-8103bec35798.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:	58184e19-71ef-4795-bc1f-7e535917bae4.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	336828

She already did a batch last week, 20ish pounds of tomatoes down to 6 quarts of sauce. There's about twice as much tomato now and the peaches are completely out of control. Guess that's all I'm eating for the next month or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Just got an angry text from Ms Boissal about having to can this stuff:

Name:  5f5186fa-a429-4fd7-8db2-8103bec35798.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:	58184e19-71ef-4795-bc1f-7e535917bae4.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	336828

She already did a batch last week, 20ish pounds of tomatoes down to 6 quarts of sauce. There's about twice as much tomato now and the peaches are completely out of control. Guess that's all I'm eating for the next month or so...

I'm going to stockpile things for a full week and see if I can get a more intense meme from you!

^^ Damn, that's impressive. Is there like a leader board set up here or anything?!

Finally got caught up to our cucumber output. Cucumbers are basically the star of the show this year, outperforming anything else.

Simple fridge pickles. We'll go through them pretty quickly.

Name:	20200810_212119.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	336835

Tomatoes are a close second. We've been using the San Marzanos for sauce and looks like I'll be canning some. Cherry tomatoes are basically eaten on sight since they're literally crackfruits.

For larger slicer tomatoes, what are people doing to preserve those, other than canning batches of salsa? Basic marinara or other sauce?

We just ate our first ear of corn, and the flood is poised. Shishitos and squash continue to do well, along with a steady output of cukes.

Melons have started, and the plants have more ripening on them than I've ever had.

Name:	20200810_191718.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	336837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200805_090229.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	336838
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Drooling over the melon. Ms Boissal direct sowed the melons and cucs and they're about a month behind everything else.
    I'm excited about the cuc delay and hoping they won't produce too much, I still have to go through a few jars of stuff that resembles what Thalela posted.

I had to deal with the peaches this morning before work. They're little guys, about 1/2 the size of a grocery store peach and not super sweet but still damn tasty. We still have jam from last season so I took the easy way out and chopped them to throw in the freezer. No blanching to remove the skin, no processing, just cut the bad parts and toss the pit. Took me 1.5 hours before running out of ziploc bags and giving up, Gotta eat the last 4 or 5 lbs before they go bad.
    Last edited by Boissal; 08-11-2020 at 12:24 PM.