Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2020

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    viola! fertilized ears.

This is the extent of what I can do with peppers. I planted this the first week of April. Chile aji amarillo.

https://trueloveseeds.com/products/a...eruvian-pepper

Pathetic. I don't even know why I bother. It's like raising a baby sea turtle on dry land at cold altitude.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Hey Boissal, your corn doesn't use bees to pollinate. Just the wind. Clip the tops of the stalks off and shake them over the tassels of the ears, and viola! fertilized ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    ^^ It's almost overwhelming how much I don't know lol. Wow.
    +1 on this, had no idea about corn pollination... Will investigate tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Is it doing fine but really small? I'm learning that ours will look nothing like the massively genetically modified corn at the store. Yours might have a couple ready. Some of ours needs more time, some were small but tasty tonight. As for peppers, is your new motion light extended to the back yard? I don't want a shovel to the head from you at 3am.
    Even the plants are small, about 4' max. I think we planted a really weird variety, something that produces either black or crazy colored ears so that might be a reason.
    Re: peppers, I can't swing a shovel well with my brace so you're probably safe...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    +1 on this, had no idea about corn pollination... Will investigate tonight.

Even the plants are small, about 4' max. I think we planted a really weird variety, something that produces either black or crazy colored ears so that might be a reason.
    Re: peppers, I can't swing a shovel well with my brace so you're probably safe...
    Ah. Ours is sweet corn hybrid and you pick it early so there's more sugar in it. Can't you open up the top of an ear and see what color it is? My wife opens ears to see when it's ready. Her grandpa was a farmer with corn fields so I think she knows what to do.

Sorry to hear you have a brace, what's that from the bike crash?

Growing corn is a waste of time and space anywhere you have access to Olathe sweet corn.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Growing corn is a waste of time and space anywhere you have access to Olathe sweet corn.

I agree. Any corn at my grocery store right now is super fresh and is bigger and as tasty as what we grew.

Ah. Ours is sweet corn hybrid and you pick it early so there's more sugar in it. Can't you open up the top of an ear and see what color it is? My wife opens ears to see when it's ready. Her grandpa was a farmer with corn fields so I think she knows what to do.

Sorry to hear you have a brace, what's that from the bike crash?
    I'll check tonight but it doesn't look like we have much in terms of ears...
    And yes, brace from the crash, broken bone in the wrist (trapezium), 3 more weeks with the thumb immobilized. Mounting tubeless tires one-handed to sell my bike was a real treat!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    We use it as a privacy screen to hide the chickens and if the ears are too tiny we'll feed them to the birds. That's where 50% of the zucchini is going right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    And yes, brace from the crash, broken bone in the wrist (trapezium), 3 more weeks with the thumb immobilized. Mounting tubeless tires one-handed to sell my bike was a real treat!

Sorry to hear that. I had to disassemble a dh mtn bike with a sprained wrist when I was still toting the bike in a car, I thought that was bad. Yikes

First celery harvest today. Bit long and slender but they taste great. I blanched them for 11 days (cover the stalks to lighten and sweeten them, not blanch as in boil. Another thing my ignorant ass learned this year.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200805_200153.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	336440

^^ It's almost overwhelming how much I don't know lol. Wow.
    That never stopped Skidog, SB, and Skicougar functioning in life. May our worst ignorance be how corn pollinates.

I clipped a couple of crowns to save for pollinating because they were just about finished before the tassles even came out. It was only sort of successful. Next year I think I'm going to plant more like 50 corn plants rather than a dozen. Between better pollination, better wind resistance and (hopefully) enough that the squirrels won't feel the need to wreck everything I should have a halfway decent corn harvest. I'm going to double or triple up on a few other things too like tomatoes and cauliflower and spread out planting the lettuce and cabbage so there's a somewhat steady stream of that stuff at least for a while.

The hurricane made a mess of things here but the garden didn't fare too poorly. A few things are unhappy but I think for the most part it will continue along pretty well. The second planting stuff is sprouting nicely and I'll put some more stuff in before the end of the week in newly found space from things that came out.

May our worst ignorance be how corn pollinates.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I'm going to double or triple up on a few other things too like tomatoes and cauliflower and spread out planting the lettuce and cabbage so there's a somewhat steady stream of that stuff at least for a while.

The hurricane made a mess of things here but the garden didn't fare too poorly. A few things are unhappy but I think for the most part it will continue along pretty well. The second planting stuff is sprouting nicely and I'll put some more stuff in before the end of the week in newly found space from things that came out.
    My first try at succession planting this year is pretty poor so far. It seems so easy up front; replant fast growing crops every two or three weeks for a consistent harvest. We had a real heatwave here for about three weeks that literally pressed pause on any planted seeds and small young plants. The three hot weeks were a write off, plus (what survived, many seeds didn't germinate, several small plants shriveled up) the survivors took a couple weeks to get going again. Massive misuse of a short growing season.

I will now start the new summer succession crops inside under lights for anything remotely sensitive and have them bushy before bringing them out.

Truth.

My first try at succession planting this year is pretty poor so far. It seems so easy up front; replant fast growing crops every two or three weeks for a consistent harvest. We had a real heatwave here for about three weeks that literally pressed pause on any planted seeds and small young plants. The three hot weeks were a write off, plus (what survived, many seeds didn't germinate, several small plants shriveled up) the survivors took a couple weeks to get going again. Massive misuse of a short growing season.

I will now start the new summer succession crops inside under lights for anything remotely sensitive and have them bushy before bringing them out.
    I put a good amount of thought for me into succession planting for our lettuce and got screwed by a heatwave that made an entire batch bolt. Our kale has kept steady since May and we can just keep harvesting from the same plants. Way easier than the lettuce experiment this year.

The Lettuce Experiment? I have all their albums.

When the weathers perfect here (it basically never is) we can get away with lettuces being manageable, picking leaves off every day and predictable growth from seed, but in general, as soon as leafy stuff is ready the whole plant is pulled.

Anyone with Swiss Chard knowledge? I don't eat it but grow it for fun, the red stem is a really cool colour in a sea of green. GF says to let these mature and harvest late, whereas I find leaving things too long will have them go bitter. Any thoughts?

When the weathers perfect here (it basically never is) we can get away with lettuces being manageable, picking leaves off every day and predictable growth from seed, but in general, as soon as leafy stuff is ready the whole plant is pulled.

Anyone with Swiss Chard knowledge? I don't eat it but grow it for fun, the red stem is a really cool colour in a sea of green. GF says to let these mature and harvest late, whereas I find leaving things too long will have them go bitter. Any thoughts?
    GF? You don't have to listen to her. Wife? Different story.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    GF? You don't have to listen to her. Wife? Different story.
    Hey in this case I don't eat the stuff so really whatever happens I'm good!

Today's tomato yield. Now to spend the day giving it away or processing. Stink bugs are a problem. Other than smashing them or diatomaceous soil, what have you found to be the best way to deal with them?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6430.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	336485

Quote Originally Posted by PowderAlltheTime View Post
    Today's tomato yield. Now to spend the day giving it away or processing. Stink bugs are a problem. Other than smashing them or diatomaceous soil, what have you found to be the best way to deal with them?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6430.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	336485

We need naked pics of the gf first
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Yeah that one never gets old.

yep we grow a lot of swiss chard. it's a late bolter, does well in the heat, and is a nice green. you can eat 'em young in a salad, but with time they toughen up (especially the central stem), and you should probably lightly saute or steam them like you would beet greens.

i like chard in an omelette with havarti and mushrooms myself.

Melons are getting bigger every day

Name:	Image1596749858.704183.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	336503
    More melon

Name:	Image1596749881.583667.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	336504
    Peaches and Cream variety

Name:	Image1596749901.430720.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	336505
    Not a cherry tomato growing on the cherry tomato Bush

Name:	Image1596749920.819220.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	336506
    Pepper

Name:	Image1596749940.200512.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	336507
    “Sun Gold” tomatoes, these little guys are so good

Name:	Image1596749977.242098.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	336508
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yep we grow a lot of swiss chard. it's a late bolter, does well in the heat, and is a nice green. you can eat 'em young in a salad, but with time they toughen up (especially the central stem), and you should probably lightly saute or steam them like you would beet greens.

i like chard in an omelette with havarti and mushrooms myself.
    Awesome, appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    “Sun Gold” tomatoes, these little guys are so good
    Those things are like crack. I pick a handful every morning to go with breakfast, the flavor wakes me up more than coffee does.

Garden 2020

Is August a bad time to plant grass seeds in some small bare spots and dry grass areas on my lawn? These days have been 90° at noon.