Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2020

Maters coming in. Picked my first one today.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Circular crack, might be too much water, causing fast growth
    Yup.

20 Common Tomato Plant Problems and How to Fix Them

3. Fruit Cracks
    What they look like: Cracks appear on ripe tomatoes, usually in concentric circles. Sometimes insects use the cracks as an opportunity to eat the fruit, or birds attack cracked fruit.

What causes them: Hot, rainy weather causes fruit crack. After a long dry spell, tomatoes are thirsty. Plants may take up water rapidly after the first heavy rainfall, which swells the fruit and causes it to crack.

What to do about them: Although you can’t control the rain, you can water tomatoes evenly during the growing season. This prevents them from being so thirsty that they take up too much rainwater during a heavy downpour.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7740.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	334497

My 32 tomato plants are getting tall. I’m 5’10” and they are just about to the top of my head. There’s one down front on the left side that’s having a few problems. The leaves are curling a bit.

Peppers are going crazy as well.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Hoping that the forecast sun tomorrow and Tues will finish off the last of the June-bearing strawberries with some sweetness. Raspberries are coming online too. First feed of peas, and the vines are over 8ft tall, going to need a stepladder to harvest. Took out the softneck garlic, Lots of small and poorly formed heads - just too wet this year even with our sandy soil. The best will be prepared for next year's crop ad the remainder ground and preserved in oil.

One the wild side, huckleberries are just starting at valley bottom, in my favourite location. About a kilo to start, with lots out there to be ready later this week. Rained just enough to keep the skeeters to a tolerable hum. Come on sunshine!

Name:	0E962D34-B7D4-47D5-98A9-EEEDDA5715FE.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	817.6 KB 
ID:	334499

mm, hucks.

couple from my gardens

and a few from the hood

Lilies have been flowering, nasturiums finally started flowering, peas just beginning to grow finally after slugging it out, gladiolas and dahlias starting to bud. Onions are getting bigger but radishes are limping.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Lillies are so rad! We have them all over the yard now, I bought a bunch of big clumps at Home Depot and separated them, into individual plants, 2 years later they've multiplied. I'm amazed how well they do in high and dry UT with limited water.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Maters coming in. Picked my first one today.
    Yesterday was our first day for mid-size tomatoes. I've been gobbling down cherry-sized ones (sun sugar) since the 1st of the month but it took a couple more weeks for some decent-sized orange guys to be ready (flamme is the exact breed). We have a brandywine that isn't far behind. Surprised the big guys are ripening so early.

My melons are going nutty, every day there's at least a half dozen new vines and I'm running out of where to hang them. I'm going to have to build some new trellises or something tomorrow. The butternut squash is crushing it too, growing a foot a day and now those huge flower s have started opening and squash is happening from them. Tomatoes are taking their time ripening but they're still setting fruit so that's good. Second planting of cukes is going really well. I put out all sorts of seeds yesterday so hoping for a warm September to give them time to ripen, that' assuming most will germinate and grow. I also moved the slow growing peppers to the newly opened sunny area where lettuces and greens came out and they seem to be loving it. I think most of the corn is a goner though

Wife wants me to build her a greenhouse. Any major pro tips before I just start throwing shit together?

Name:	IMG_20200713_140050.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	334595
    One of our better harvests.

Beware in Utah land, the squash bugs are here. I saw one on Saturday on my yellow squash and found eggs on leaves. Duct taped those fuckers off and have kept vigilant.

Today I found eggs on a pumpkin leaf and then found the offending bug laying more on another leaf. Dusted him and the plant with sevin (I ain’t eating pumpkins), he didn’t seem to like that. They hurt me bad last year, I had a crap ton of pumpkins started and it took me several days to figure out what the problem was.

If your big leaf plants start drooping look around for the mature bugs, large brown bugs with a long piercing needle on his face.

Name:	305F762D-4166-46CF-B2EE-192DDAB3A89D.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	334603

They lay eggs on the bottom of the leaves, usually where the stem of the leaf joins. You’ll find several rows of little brown eggs. Either duct tape them off, petroleum jelly on them, or use the squish method. I’ve already used Sevin earlier on most of my vegetables (earwigs) so I’m trying to limit my applications.

Name:	05E0CC79-5BAC-46A5-9D7D-7C3367881B2A.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	418.3 KB 
ID:	334608

The manual method has worked well for my yellow squash, haven’t seen anymore over there and the plants look fine. I’m about to have way more squash than we can eat, looking into freezing methods.

Name:	5EDE1350-7238-4927-B496-5A0BF6B8BA6F.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	984.5 KB 
ID:	334610

Got my first watermelon of the season starting, it’s rather high on a trellis so panty hoses will be involved.

Name:	9EEB69B9-B033-4710-BE06-375242DD26DA.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	490.5 KB 
ID:	334611

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Hoping that the forecast sun tomorrow and Tues will finish off the last of the June-bearing strawberries with some sweetness. Raspberries are coming online too. First feed of peas, and the vines are over 8ft tall, going to need a stepladder to harvest. Took out the softneck garlic, Lots of small and poorly formed heads - just too wet this year even with our sandy soil. The best will be prepared for next year's crop ad the remainder ground and preserved in oil.

One the wild side, huckleberries are just starting at valley bottom, in my favourite location. About a kilo to start, with lots out there to be ready later this week. Rained just enough to keep the skeeters to a tolerable hum. Come on sunshine!

Name:	0E962D34-B7D4-47D5-98A9-EEEDDA5715FE.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	817.6 KB 
ID:	334499
    Damn I love huckleberries. Got lucky and walked into some on a fishing day near crested butte last year. Released a lot of trout but harvested a bunch of berries in my leftover lunch container on my way out. COVID willling heading to co in a few weeks and will keep my eyes open for berries.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post

Name:	IMG_20200713_140050.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	334595
    One of our better harvests.
    Nice!

I like to leave mine in until the bottom 3-4 leaves are brown. I pull all mine at the same time so sometimes not all varieties are at that point when it happens.

That is a soft neck? Purple something?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Nice!

I like to leave mine in until the bottom 3-4 leaves are brown. I pull all mine at the same time so sometimes not all varieties are at that point when it happens.

That is a soft neck? Purple something?
    My wife said purple hard neck. She pulls them a month after the scapes and when half of of the leaves turn brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Any ideas what is munching these little trails on my tomatoes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    better

Name:	tomato.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	388.3 KB 
ID:	334807

Morning's haul.

Name:	morning haul.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	655.5 KB 
ID:	334808

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    My wife said purple hard neck. She pulls them a month after the scapes and when half of of the leaves turn brown.
    nice! how long do your hardnecks last for? we're definitely planting garlic this fall but the one complaint i've heard about hardneck is that it doesn't have as long of a shelf-life.

Black garlics matter
    watch out for snakes

Never had the deer do this before:

Name:	Bnutmunch.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	334828
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Getting tired of having to scour every leaf every day, sevin’ed my pumpkins and I still found eggs on them today. Found more on my yellow squash, plants are still ok and producing well.

Squash bug eggs.

Name:	49C3B8F0-53FA-43D7-9D34-6237CC7BD63C.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	846.1 KB 
ID:	334846

Got about 10 of these so far with enough to feed Coxey’s army still out there.

Name:	D7C7D1FB-5587-48F5-9AAC-0775A509DBB8.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	729.2 KB 
ID:	334847

Pass the peas please...heh...

Name:	IMG_2295.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	576.0 KB 
ID:	334878
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Since that tropical storm last weekend I've got failures happening all ove my garden. Tomatoes are just dying, mildew, drying, curling and end rot, squash is similar and female flowers are rotting rather than opening. Melons are sorta holding their own but not doing as well as they were. Peppers still aren't setting, the flowers open then fall off.

Most problems began when I started using Neptune's Harvest fertilizer so I'm going to try flushing that through and try what I never wanted to use, Miracle Gro.

First semi-legit haul of the season last night:

Name:	IMG_20200716_200824.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	334900

We've been getting 4 or 5 cherry tomatoes daily for a couple weeks now and the zucchini production has been nice and steady but we're finally seeing some variety and large tomatoes. Didn't get a shot of the big old cherokee purple that Ms Boissal decimated before it made it into the house.
    Peppers are a bit behind so we're going to need to eat those eggplants fresh. I usually use all of them to make ajvar, if you haven't tried that stuff I highly recommend it. It's a roasted red pepper spread that's easy to make and incredibly tasty. Any kind of sweet red pepper will work if you can't find ajvarski peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    nice! how long do your hardnecks last for? we're definitely planting garlic this fall but the one complaint i've heard about hardneck is that it doesn't have as long of a shelf-life.
    Ours usually last 7 to 8 months stored in a paper bag in our kitchen.

Kid harvested a comical amount of zukes and yellow squash after our 3-day family backpacking trip.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Kid harvested a comical amount of zukes and yellow squash after our 3-day family backpacking trip.
    You let the zukes unattended for 3 WHOLE DAYS??! Shiiiiiiiiiiiit. You're lucky one of them didn't grow over your house and crushed it.

I'm always amazed at how fast they grow and how good they are at hiding... You miss one the size of your forearm and the next day it's the size of your thigh!