Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2020

I grow cherry and grape tomatoes, jalapeños, serranos, and Charapita peppers. Attached greenhouse on east side of house. 6100 feet in Sun Valley.
    Later than usual start for tomatoes due to sheltering in place. Had 2 Charapitas survive the winter and started others from seeds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4120.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	328065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4121.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	328066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4122.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	328067

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    an option for dealing with unexpected cold weather if you use containers.

Attachment 328001

I had 6 in our unfinished basement too. It says around 60 +/- 5 in there year around.
    Only 4 plants allowed per household and they must be out of public sight! Oh you mean tomatoes....

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    but sucks to be dealing with frost this late.
    welcome to my world

-sent with love from zone 1
    skid luxury

looks like you are double bagging those 5 gallon containers. one for water, one for planting medium?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    weve been here almost a decade now
    I never really fucked with the irrigation water system
    I run the sprinkler/drip system off it
    never change to culinary I just hand water once the system shuts down and pre
    well its been leaking for longer than weve been here and it turns out my overflow valve is really a 3' metal cylindrical filter
    and cleaning the filters gonna help with pressure
    and o rings are no match for thirsty roots
    holy fuckin diggin roots of epicness

got a couple dozen maters, all the peppers, squash, melons and pumpkins in this weekend
    taters are coming up as are snap peas carrots lettuce radishes broc ,hops are crushing it grapes and berries blooming
    harvesting rhubarb lettuce and cale

stoked its our garden and we share the labor, love and harvesting of it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

No pics here, but frost last night made for good use of spare roofing materials.

No frost here last night but warning again tonight.

Looks like my snap beans and 4 outta 6 maters are toast from the other nite.

The cabbage is unfazed as is the garlic.
    watch out for snakes

Power Hitter: essential gardening tool.
    Wife's looking' like she's doing all the work.
    Looking forward to eating some hops stems
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Went to a nearby nursery to pick up some peppers and tomatoes along with some flowers for the wife for Mothers Day. Saw one of these on the shelf and thought, hmmm, I’ve heard of those. Get home, google, perhaps a mistake...

Name:	1125B6F5-CD36-4E34-8DBA-667B47FAF539.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	742.6 KB 
ID:	328221

Hahaha. I grew some ghost peppers one year. They are a small step less hot than the reaper. I sauteed one pepper in oil, the removed it and added about a pound of Kale. It was inedible, and I can legit handle native Thai hot food, in Thailand. Anything beyond an habañero is a waste of space for me. Good luck !

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Make homemade pepper based defensive products. Profit.

Ghost bear pepper spray?

Finally got everyone back outside. Should be no moar freezeles in this neck of the woods.

Few stunned ones may snap back, gonna give them a chance.
    watch out for snakes

Hops are nipple-high in SLC. Everything is planted, everything is sprouting. Corn, beans, squash, tomatoes, carrots, beats, and more. I think this year I'm going to learn pickling for all the tomatoes in September.

Name:	IMG_3312.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	328395

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Hops are nipple-high in SLC. Everything is planted, everything is sprouting. Corn, beans, squash, tomatoes, carrots, beats, and more. I think this year I'm going to learn pickling for all the tomatoes in September.
    Pickling tomatoes you say? Interesting... We can a shitload of them and last year I dehydrated a whole bunch in a home-made sun box (metal grate between 2 glass panel framed in wood sitting in the S facing part of the yard) but never pickled any.
    I pickle jalapenos and little cucs and love the shit out of the result.

Name:	IMG_3312.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	328395

hey this is dumb but...why hops? brewing? or do you do something else with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Pickling tomatoes you say? Interesting... We can a shitload of them and last year I dehydrated a whole bunch in a home-made sun box (metal grate between 2 glass panel framed in wood sitting in the S facing part of the yard) but never pickled any.
    I wouldn't do a whole lot, but lacto fermented cherry's are literally the bomb. They explode in your mouth with fizzy tomato flavor. Try a small batch.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    hey this is dumb but...why hops? brewing? or do you do something else with them?
    hops are the ultimate low maintenance green privacy fence that provide both beer and pickled shoots for next level bloody mary fixins ingrediants
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    hops are the ultimate low maintenance green privacy fence that provide both beer and pickled shoots for next level bloody mary fixins ingrediants
    Do you give them away to local friend brewer's? I always wondered about hops, but their potency is measured, in ibu. How does one determine that as it's pretty important in brewing. I guess as a finish hop it wouldn't matter much.
    Interested in pickled hop shoots too. Never heard that one. Just garnish or you eat?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

A friend has the most badass hop curved over shade structure at his Tiki bar.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

i give them to my home brew crew
    A bro in shit dont grow in the summit park ut shade provided me with the initial rhizomes to start
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ts!?highlight=
    thanks again KQ

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Maybe I'll do all three depending on how many we get? I'm really just throwing ideas out, no real research done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    We give them to my wifes friend who brews. And that trellis shown is two sided with an arch, so it's good garden decoration and grows f'in fast to cover it.

What do people use to keep Quails from eating everything? Wife said no to chicken wire. Wondering if screen door netting works or is too flimsy, expensive, etc. What do you guys do? I didn't care that they ate the brussels sprouts but now those fuckers are decimating the lettuce.

..now those fuckers are decimating the lettuce.
    birds 1. romaine 0.

Name:	image00002.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	591.7 KB 
ID:	328627

so put in 3' stakes in each corner and found some cheap bird netting, trimmed it and so far, so good. now its early, and i don't know shit but its been fun learning.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    birds 1. romaine 0.

so put in 3' stakes in each corner and found some cheap bird netting, trimmed it and so far, so good. now its early, and i don't know shit but its been fun learning.
    Our lettuce patch got decimated too. Armies of birds in the yard all day, 4 fucking cats lounging around in the dirt doing nothing. I'm going to lock the door and let them fend for themselves for a couple days, maybe hunger will remind them that they're supposed to fuck up birds, not stare at them with mild interest while sunbathing.

Just kidding, Ms Boissal would lock me out if I did that. I covered the plants with thin ground cloth on 3' stakes, keep them a bit shadier so the arugula doesn't go crazy bitter.

Maybe I'll do all three depending on how many we get? I'm really just throwing ideas out, no real research done yet.

We give them to my wifes friend who brews. And that trellis shown is two sided with an arch, so it's good garden decoration and grows f'in fast to cover it.

What do people use to keep Quails from eating everything? Wife said no to chicken wire. Wondering if screen door netting works or is too flimsy, expensive, etc. What do you guys do? I didn't care that they ate the brussels sprouts but now those fuckers are decimating the lettuce.
    I see your problem. You're letting your wife tell you what to do.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

First hail storm of the year. Good times.