Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2020

Biggest issue with corn in my experience is supporting small plantings of it and then the wind comes. Not an issue on a quarter section in Alberta, but in a backyard garden, it can be a bit frustrating when a micro-burst comes through and flattens em. We have had luck with a long skinny bed against the privacy fence, and we tie them back when they get higher than a metre or so. 8'X1' bed, about 10 stalks planted about 9" apart. Great for a few weekend meals in late summer, and the use for Halloween decorations on the porch. Never had an issue with pollination.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    What about corn in containers or buckets, good or no? I don't have bed space for something that needs to be 3 feet apart.
    if you are going to do it in a container, I would leave at least 6 inches below rim and initial planting level. As noted by other(s), one of the complications with corn is that it is flimsy. You can address that by hilling up if planted in the ground. If you are going to plant in a container, you need to leave some room for that. As also noted by other(s) though, you are overestimating the space you need. You can plant corn really close together. To address the pollination concerns, I plant in a square type pattern, rather than longish skinny rows. I think I did something like 3X4 rows in about a 16 square foot area the last couple of years. I agree with the maybe 2 ears per stalk estimate posted above, but those were some damned tasty and enjoyed 20 ears or so of corn that I got out of that little plot described above.

Yesterday I was working on these beds. Basically I have a rounded step up Rockwall that I’m feeling with mulch. Under the landscape fabric is weeds. I just want it to look clean. Maybe, a few flower pots with geraniums, daises or something to add a bit of color? It faces due west, zone 4
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7FBCDF3E-7681-4320-B2E2-0B9627641B57.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	398.8 KB 
ID:	327125

Name:	39035579-25CD-432D-AF42-8DC45A47B3C1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	359.1 KB 
ID:	327126
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Originally this year I’d planned on putting in a flagstone patio back by my garden, things happen and I’ve scaled back plans and pivoted. Been working on drip instead, bought 200 feet of 1/2 inch tubing, shit ton of tees, elbows, end caps, and a 1/4 inch Chinese 178 piece kit.

So far I’m digging it, got about half the garden done, it seems I never have enough pieces or what nots. I think I’m on three Lowes curbside pickups (which suck balls, they can’t get it right at all), and three orders from Amazon. I’ve alternated from 12” emitter tubing to 6”, misters, bubblers, and homemade emitter tubing tee rings. If anything it’s keeping me from going stir crazy on the weekends.

Name:	448D998C-A348-4328-82EB-0B03CFA57471.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	327671

Western Gardens in West Valley is the best place I’ve been to, it’s not gong showed out like Lowes or all of the well known garden centers. They’ve got a good selection of everything vegetables, perennials, herbs, etc.
    Pearing

Name:	5C983FB0-407A-4FD8-9335-3EA86452B736.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1,017.5 KB 
ID:	327672

On another note, that fucking bunny is back this year. Thought my newly sprouted carrots disappearing were the work of snails, till that bunny left his tracks in my beds and the gap of our gate. My wife has frowned on my idea of a snare and waiting for the screaming, paver to the head and he joins some fresh greens for a delicious rabbit salad.

Name:	AA70DBF2-B938-4957-BFB5-663360006476.jpg 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	327673

Compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

Compromise.
    I like the frames top left in that pic. Very clean looking and space efficient. Store bought or built?

In other news, we have a freeze warning here tonight. Extremely unusual. Last frost date is April 10-20 depending on what source you follow. Hourly is only showing a low of 37 though, so I think it is unlikely. I have more planted than I can cover at this point. Guess I'll cover what I can and hope for the best.

Same here in New England - snow, cold and strong wind - I planted last weekend - need to cover tomatoes, squash and my basil tonight. old sheet? buckets? plastic drop cloth? best way?

There are snow flakes falling lazily from the ski outside the bathroom window. And birds chirping.

Originally this year I’d planned on putting in a flagstone patio back by my garden, things happen and I’ve scaled back plans and pivoted. Been working on drip instead, bought 200 feet of 1/2 inch tubing, shit ton of tees, elbows, end caps, and a 1/4 inch Chinese 178 piece kit.

So far I’m digging it, got about half the garden done, it seems I never have enough pieces or what nots. I think I’m on three Lowes curbside pickups (which suck balls, they can’t get it right at all), and three orders from Amazon. I’ve alternated from 12” emitter tubing to 6”, misters, bubblers, and homemade emitter tubing tee rings. If anything it’s keeping me from going stir crazy on the weekends.

Name:	448D998C-A348-4328-82EB-0B03CFA57471.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	327671

Western Gardens in West Valley is the best place I’ve been to, it’s not gong showed out like Lowes or all of the well known garden centers. They’ve got a good selection of everything vegetables, perennials, herbs, etc.
    Pearing

Name:	5C983FB0-407A-4FD8-9335-3EA86452B736.jpg 
Size:	1,017.5 KB 
ID:	327672

On another note, that fucking bunny is back this year. Thought my newly sprouted carrots disappearing were the work of snails, till that bunny left his tracks in my beds and the gap of our gate. My wife has frowned on my idea of a snare and waiting for the screaming, paver to the head and he joins some fresh greens for a delicious rabbit salad.

Compromise.
    I find a 22 long rifle works best. No screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I like the frames top left in that pic. Very clean looking and space efficient. Store bought or built?
    Bought at Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Garden-Arch...lis/1002282038

We're getting down to 34 the next two nights. Thanks to the bathroom project, I've got plastic sheeting for days, but sucks to be dealing with frost this late.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

gonna snag the same, thank you!!

i'm headed to millcreek gardens in 15 minutes to snag tomato plants, i'm stoked

Seems to snow here around 20May every year. Got a bunch started inside, main sowing around Memorial Day.
    Potatoes, garlic, artichoke, rhubarb all looking really happy.

re: rabbits .. can relate.
    I recommend 100gr varmint tip archery. virtually silent. 1lb per trespasser.

Name:  IMG_2136.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  70.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1116.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  41.4 KB
    north bound horse.

shoot n release
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Snow in the mtns and potential freeze here.

Containers all in but gonna have to cover the plants in the garden.
    watch out for snakes

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Jeebus, how do you tear off yer azz gardening?

Had to repot the garden survivors and bring them in.

It was snowing while I did this.

Yay for Grand Solar minimum.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Jeebus, how do you tear off yer azz gardening?
    Not sure I want to know. Or, put another way, hold my beer and watch this!

Finally got the big side garden turned over. A shitload of spadework.

The pinot noir clones are budding, 1 Dijon, 1 Pommard. I wonder if we'll get grapes this year. Two years ago, some deer got in and chomped the hell out of them, so last year was a recovery year.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Hope he heals up. He's a great guy. I bought a pair of stereoscopic glasses from him.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Finally got the big side garden turned over. A shitload of spadework.

The pinot noir clones are budding, 1 Dijon, 1 Pommard. I wonder if we'll get grapes this year. Two years ago, some deer got in and chomped the hell out of them, so last year was a recovery year.

Night vision goggles and a crossbow.

Talk about spade work, yesterday I planted four fruit trees (Honeycrisp, Gala, Fuji and sweetheart [cherry]). I had to cage them with PVC coated galvanized fence, because the elk and jack rabbits seem to love the bark. Last year, I lost four similar trees plus a beautiful bristlecone pine to the animals. Let's see how they do in high altitude zone 4. Better than going to the gym.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Night vision goggles and a crossbow.
    Higher fences.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Talk about spade work, yesterday I planted four fruit trees (Honeycrisp, Gala, Fuji and sweetheart [cherry]). I had to cage them with PVC coated galvanized fence, because the elk and jack rabbits seem to love the bark. Last year, I lost four similar trees plus a beautiful bristlecone pine to the animals. Let's see how they do in high altitude zone 4. Better than going to the gym.
    I plant a lot of trees. Normally 20-30 in a year, usually sitka, but also hemlock and red cedar with the occasional doug fir.

But we have mountain beavers.

No joke, voracious subterranean little fuckers that are notoriously hard to catch, the scourge of many tree farms.
    The deer also love the bark of the sitka seedlings and sometimes the cedars too.

I've lost at least 50 trees to the these bastards, so now I wrap the seedlings with plastic mesh, but even that doesn't deter the deer sometimes.

I also lost sitkas due to some subterranean hollowing. I've read that mountain beavers, which have massive tunnel and den systems all over our property, eat the roots of some plants. It may also be that the root systems attract worms or bugs that moles and shrews like to eat. I've not figured exactly what does this but sometimes I can shove my 6' long, 1' diameter prybar down 4 to 5 feet under the trees.

After a bunch of screwing around, I've found the secret weapon against deer, mountain beavers and moles: red hot pepper.

Go to your local Chinese or Asian food store. They stock these 1 lb bags of searing hot red pepper powder. I typically take some plastic, like a grocery bag, dampen it and coat it with the powder and wrap the seedlings with it. Sometimes in the winter, I'll go shake a little extra pepper on the trunks. I also mix the pepper powder with water and dirt to make hot mud (no butt) and sluice that into the hollows under the attacked root systems.

If I do these things, I can prevent the deer from chewing the saplings and drive the subterranean varmints off.

an option for dealing with unexpected cold weather if you use containers.

Name:	IMG_1693.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	659.9 KB 
ID:	328001

I had 6 in our unfinished basement too. It says around 60 +/- 5 in there year around.

If you're only dealing with bark chewers you can use plastic dryer/air conditioning venting. Cut out down the middle to put it around the trunk.

I also make a cage of no-climb fencing about 4-5 feet out. Just circle the tree with it and bend the end peices together. Works great.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism