Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2020

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I do battle with snails every year, I use a product called deadline, kills the fuckers in their slimy tracks.

Still nothing to do every weekend so gardening it is. Been itching to make a few new boxes so I broke down and made an on-line order with Lowes for some cedar planks, stakes, bird seed, fertilizer, gardening tools and some other odds and ends. Ordered it all Thursday night, Friday afternoon I got the email it was ready for pick up. I waited a half hour and headed there, the pick up area was rather vaguely signed. Luckily I saw an employee helping someone in the garden area, asked him about on-line pick ups, he takes my name and order number and called it in. Tells me they’re looking for it and he’ll be back. An hour later and after a couple swing bys to tell me they’re still looking for it he tells me they can’t find it and can I come back in an hour, sure.

An hour later I come back, park in the “curbside loading area” and there is nobody to be found. I venture inside the packed with whole families store and ask about my order. They tell me they have it and will meet me at the garden center gate, whew. I meet the girl at the gate, she wheels the cart with my stuff over and wants to help me load it. I insure her I have it and I’ll be fine. Load up my crap and leave. I get home and realize a large portion of my order is missing.

I call and attempt to navigate their phone system, getting no answer numerous times after sitting through three menus. Finally someone answers and it’s the same girl that brought me out my order. I explain what was missing, she brings up my order and we confirm together what I didn’t get. She asks if I want to come get it right then, I tell her I’ll just come in tomorrow (today).

Today I head there first thing to find the place even busier, six people waiting for the customer service desk without room for said six people. I tough it out and patiently wait through the fucking moron ahead of me that had to ask the service rep about her necklace and where did she get it, thus sparking a long conversation about it. Apparently fashion and jewelry are still in vogue even through a pandemic.

I finally get my turn at the wheel of no help, I patiently explain I didn’t get part of my order and this is my third time here. Give the woman my order number and she can’t find it, I hear her call Megan, the same girl that brought me my order and I talked to last night. I finally feel relief, Megan comes up front and is completely clueless to my predicament. Tells me if I want to wait they will pull the rest of my order as quickly as they can.

Waiting was not an option in my current state of mind, I calmly told her I’d be in Monday to get the rest of my order. Walked to my car, unlocked it, got in, and screamed FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, till I felt a bit better. Monday morning I will be calling the store and in my best Karen voice will be asking for the manager.

On another note I put in an order with Lambert Growers and will be picking up curbside 20 various pepper plants, a funky pumpkin, a superstar melon, a weird cucumber, and some bug chasing marigolds. Lambert is a small nursery that has their shit together much better than the big boxes.

Spent today building a new box. My manager wanted to borrow my truck to get some compost for his yard projects, he brought my truck back to me with 3/4 of a yard of compost, score. Filled up the new box and made another hill for my incoming melon. Boredom set in and I stained all the rest of my boxes. I have enough planks to make another 4x4 box and a 4x8 box in my pea/radish/soon to be cucumber area that is currently ties. Projects for the next boredom days.

Attachment 326444

Attachment 326445
    looks great cept
    only thing worse than lowes
    would be using lowes drive thru

tried to go to glovers our local nursery last sat
    utter shit show
    better 1/2 bailed because i can fish the rest of the summer and not reach that level of potential virus exposure of 1 trip to the none essential nursery depot was wait outside in line worse
    been hit or miss ordering online gardening stuff
    will have to try lamberts
    workin the spread a good bit
    hopin the irrigation water gits turned on soon
    system got pressure tested a couple weekends ago
    hand watering sucks
    redid the strawberrys patches

and thinned the rasberries pretty good

rhubarbs lookin good
    transplanted a bunch of thorned blackberrys to the back 40
    and pruned out the thornless
    hops are doin their thing

harvested

and pickled some shoots

that citrousy ipa worked well
    thanxs again KQ
    next level bloody mary game stuffs
    hopefully the rhizomes i gave bmc prosper
    stop by if youre out fishing and want more
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Garden 2020

I’ve never once had a Lowe’s online order be ready for pickup, even during normal times. The local building supply place has been really good about having stuff ready and it’s not much more expensive, if at all.

Tomates are in. They’re a little crowded, but I think they’ll be fine with some creative staking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9913.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	326485

No slugs here but squash bugs, squirrels and blight keep me on my toes. Tobacco horn worm can be an issue, but between the wasps and my dog, they typically aren’t able to do much damage. So cool to see one munching away with a back full of wasp eggs sucking the life out of it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    hopefully the rhizomes i gave bmc prosper
    stop by if youre out fishing and want more
    I’m good, one little group has taken root. I’ll milk that shit into a wall of it by next season.

Name:	16BCBA3E-8E8B-4145-A0B0-A56E95FEAC4E.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	326515

Moved some more compost around the yard after fishing with the two boys in the morning. Brought a wagon load over to the old guy that lives across the street. I gave him the rest of my onion starts I didn’t have room for a week ago, he told me his dirt was pretty bad so I hope this helps him out.

Btw, gorilla wagons rule, large load capacity and the ability to dump make it a no brainer. If you’re looking for a wagon or wheelbarrow go Gorilla.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I’ve never once had a Lowe’s online order be ready for pickup, even during normal times. The local building supply place has been really good about having stuff ready and it’s not much more expensive, if at all.

Tomates are in. They’re a little crowded, but I think they’ll be fine with some creative staking.

Name:	IMG_9913.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	326485

No slugs here but squash bugs, squirrels and blight keep me on my toes. Tobacco horn worm can be an issue, but between the wasps and my dog, they typically aren’t able to do much damage. So cool to see one munching away with a back full of wasp eggs sucking the life out of it.
    so that haybale thing works out well for you? I've never tried it. I'm becoming bale-curious.

Name:	IMG_3053.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	326706

Credit goes to my wife, this is her project that I also put a ton of work into. This all started with no fence, all grass except for 2 planter boxes. Finally 'done' this year. (Kinda not really.) Just waiting for warmer weather to start planting here in SLC. Got some asparagus though already. Looking forward to this year more than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    so that haybale thing works out well for you? I've never tried it. I'm becoming bale-curious.
    This is only the third time I've done it, and I've only used them for tomatoes, but I've had pretty good luck. It's a struggle keeping tomato plants alive in my garden due to disease. Getting them up off the ground, planted in fresh soil has made a huge difference. That and using disease-resistant hybrids. The extra square footage is an added perk.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

Credit goes to my wife, this is her project that I also put a ton of work into. This all started with no fence, all grass except for 2 planter boxes. Finally 'done' this year. (Kinda not really.) Just waiting for warmer weather to start planting here in SLC. Got some asparagus though already. Looking forward to this year more than most.
    Nice, looks like a comfy space.

Damn, props to Ms Muted, that is a nice little oasis you got there...
    Ms Boissal has been crushing it with the garden this year, came home yesterday to find 12 tomato plants in the ground and a whole bunch of peppers ready to go. Onions and garlic have been in the ground since the fall and are going crazy, all the herbs have either come back or been replanted, and greens are blowing up. The arugula I transplanted has already colonized a new area and will need to be mowed back soon. Our neighbor got bees and there's a literal army of pollinators out and about in the yard, things should go well this year although I did spot a stink bug already. Those fuckers killed 5 of our tomato plants last year. I'm going to bring genocide to their species...

Thanks guys.

Boissal, we don't plant tomatoes until memorial day because of frost, you guys covering them when needed?

Morning sightings in the garden after chasing the Quail out:

Name:	IMG_3063.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	326711

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg 
Views:	60 
ID:	326712

anyone here have a nice vegetable garden above 6800'? We have a pretty short growing season.
    Not much grows here and I am looking for ideas
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Thanks guys.

Boissal, we don't plant tomatoes until memorial day because of frost, you guys covering them when needed?

Morning sightings in the garden after chasing the Quail out:

Name:	IMG_3063.jpg 
Views:	55 
ID:	326711

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg 
Views:	60 
ID:	326712
    I’m getting triggered here.

You killed that little fucker on sight I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I’m getting triggered here.

You killed that little fucker on sight I hope.

The 3+6 year old were with me, so we let it go on our neighbors yard instead. Sorry man! Many others will be killed this year, don't worry.

That's impressive, muted! Utards giving me some garden envy. The only gardening my wife does is eating the stuff that comes out of one.

You guys must have different stink bugs than we do. Ours don't do anything but laze around indoors and stink if you squish them.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    anyone here have a nice vegetable garden above 6800'? We have a pretty short growing season.

I’m at 5,400 and get Spring and Fall hail.
    It’s not for the meek.
    That said, I’m guessing your zone is probably as important as elevation.
    There was some zone talk in last year’s thread.
    I don’t really know a ton about it, might try to learn more this year depending on what transpires with the work situations.

Go indoors.

Gorgeous slug pics! That succulent garden is heavenly.

Ms Boissal got a bit aggressive with the planting this year (that's the issue with her new COVID schedule, she works a week straight then is off for 2 weeks, by the time the 10th day off rolls around she's out of things to do and gets a bit ahead of herself). I managed to stop her from getting the peppers and melons in the ground at least, I'll start hardening them next week and will plant mid month. I have some covered cages I made last fall to extend the tomato growing season so I'm going to be covering the plants whenever the nightly temps drop below 40. Temps look super warm for the coming week but frost the first couple weeks of may is not unlikely...

You guys must have different stink bugs than we do. Ours don't do anything but laze around indoors and stink if you squish them.
    We saw them for the first time ever last year. Green fuckers everywhere under the tomato leaves. Some gardening guru told us it was not a UT thing but the very wet and cool spring brought them out. We tried everything to get rid of them, Ms Boissal even used the shop vac to get them off the leaves, but eventually 5 of the 15 tomatoes died. I suspect it had more to do with the soil not draining well and too much water rotting the roots of the plants but Ms B is convinced the bugs did it and she will wage an unending war against them. The first one she saw yesterday bit her, the whole species is going to pay for that crime. I imagine all 7 of the chickens will be chained to infested tomato plants with orders to eat as many of the bugs as possible...

The 3+6 year old were with me, so we let it go on our neighbors yard instead. Sorry man! Many others will be killed this year, don't worry.
    Okay okay.

I feel bad I had my 5yr old daughter out there killing slugs, she seemed to really enjoy it. I had to tell her “honey, we don’t kill things for fun, we kill them for a reason because they destroyed our garden last year”

Trying to prevent a little serial killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Damn, props to Ms Muted, that is a nice little oasis you got there... Our neighbor got bees and there's a literal army of pollinators out and about in the yard, things should go well this year...
    ^^ nice set up muted and find this thread inspiring. got two raised beds just about ready to go... our neighbor also has bees so hoping for similar pollination, but on sunday, man his hives were so packed that they broke out in this pretty rad swarm onto one of his trees.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    man his hives were so packed that they broke out in this pretty rad swarm onto one of his trees.
    Cool, hive split. Too bad you didn't have some supers and a queen bee outfit.

Name:  EMTISrZX0AAqVg0.png
Views: 1485
Size:  429.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Okay okay.

I feel bad I had my 5yr old daughter out there killing slugs, she seemed to really enjoy it. I had to tell her “honey, we don’t kill things for fun, we kill them for a reason because they destroyed our garden last year”

Trying to prevent a little serial killer.

No reason to hide the truth! My daughter was so excited to find one this morning, I just didn't want to explain everything then. If she instead said 'ewwwww, gross!!!!' we could have bonded over extermination today. You will look back on your murdering days with your daughter fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I'm over 1000 feet higher. It is tough.

Radish peas any leafy green baby carrots squash potatoes.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

This is only the third time I've done it, and I've only used them for tomatoes, but I've had pretty good luck. It's a struggle keeping tomato plants alive in my garden due to disease. Getting them up off the ground, planted in fresh soil has made a huge difference. That and using disease-resistant hybrids. The extra square footage is an added perk.
    tomatoes are difficult unless you have the space to do serious crop rotation. I don't, so the last few years I have gone to growing most of my tomatoes in containers. You have the hassle and expense of new growing medium every year, but much more consistent yield. My inspiration in that direction was from the book Epic Tomatoes. It's an interesting read from a historical perspective even if you don't care to garden differently.

Very nice yard space. My planting is almost exclusively planter boxes but all natural using the 7 trees that came down in the yard last year and 2 others that have been down for years. As they rot internally it's like a constant stream of free organic fertilizer.

I'm over trying to get a reasonable amount of tomatoes in anything other than hanging baskets, the damned bugs are a killer otherwise so no more ground planted tomatoes here. I'm going to build a burly frame to hang 5 gallon buckets from later today using parts from an old dry-cleaner overhead conveyor system. I did it once before and got 4 plants per 5 gallon bucket. Up the sides of the frame will be indeterminate cucumber plants and I may get adventurous and try a grape vine on the other upright.

Gonna head out now and get another 20 bags of soil and get this whole project rolling so I'll get pics when it's all set up. There's currently 36 plants started inside and at least that many getting started later today or tomorrow. I finally convinced the wife to let me turn half the sunroom into a permanent greenhouse. Stoked! What's a really great, easy to make hydroponic setup? I've been looking and there's no way I could justify hundreds of dollars. Is it reasonable to use PVC pipes? I have about a hundred feet of assorted sizes so would just need corners and a pump to make something like I see for $200. Or would I just be better off keeping it simple and using 4-6" pots and keeping plants smaller? Are the $20 grow lights worth it or do you have to spend more to get good light that will work well?

What about corn in containers or buckets, good or no? I don't have bed space for something that needs to be 3 feet apart.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    What about corn in containers or buckets, good or no? I don't have bed space for something that needs to be 3 feet apart.
    We plant our corn a lot closer than that (as do farmers). Plants are about 12" apart, rows about 24". It might grow in containers if they are big, but you'll want at least 10 plants for proper pollination and a yield that justifies the trouble. Each plant will produce 2 good ears if you're lucky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.