Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    I just got back from a week at Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Deer Valley and Brighton. I feel very lucky to have had the experience with all the fresh snow, but I understand why these resorts are closing. They host SO many international people. Less than half the people I chatted with lived in Utah. There is no doubt in my mind that corona virus was at those mountains this weekend.

I want to thank you all for opinions in other threads about what skis to bring/places to go etc. I had a great time on my K108s and WC116s. Both came in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    .... Thankfully I'm not in solid organ transplantation.
    send me a PM if that changes....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by stayhighstaydry View Post
    I went golfing today. Out in the fresh air.
    How many fingers that have been sneezed and coughed on touched the cup and flagstick? Ball washer? Credit card? Cart steering wheel?

Coronavirus lasts 48 hours in air and 10 days on hard surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    How many fingers that have been sneezed and coughed on touched the cup and flagstick? Ball washer? Credit card? Cart steering wheel?

Coronavirus lasts 48 hours in air and 10 days on hard surfaces.

How exactly can a virus live for 48hrs in the air? It just lingers there floating for 2 days after a sneeze?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    This actually treads into a domain of medical ethics rarely put to practical use but if we go the way of Italy (which, based on doofus-in-chief's handling of testing, we might) may become relevant. Essentially, you want to do the most good with a finite amount of a resource. So you start assigning treatments based on who is most likely to survive (but wouldn't if denied treatment) and expand into sicker/older groups with lower likelihood of having a good outcome. Rationing/triage medicine.

There are something on the order of ~100,000 ICU beds in the US. 60-90,000 ventilators, depending on who you ask. ~10% of COVID patients will require ventilation. Assume 50-70% of the US are -eventually- infected. The math isn't encouraging but the difference between "slammed and managing" and "completely overwhelmed" will depend on how quickly new cases develop/present.
    I 'm probably one of the few here who remembers rationing dialysis machines in the 60's, back before nephrologists figured out how much money could be made in dialysis clinics. Committees would meet to select patients, based on things like age, whether they had a family, whether they had a job they could go back to. I doubt we would use those criteria nowadays, most likely to be based as you say on potential for medical benefit, although of course age would be a big big factor...
    On further reflection, I guess it is more like dialysis in the 60's than solid organ transplant today, since in general, once you've done the transplant it's done, but you can always kick somebody off dialysis or the vent or ECMO.

So that adds an additional layer to the moral calculus. Is the dude already on the vent some elderly junkie sex offender with COPD, yet inexplicably hanging in there, while the young triathlete McArthur grantee with 6 adopted kids is spiraling in respiratory distress? Whaddaya do?

It's difficult to imagine how the Italian docs have to make these decisions, while overextended and exhausted.

I'm not looking forward to how it plays out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    RE vent triage: It's the same logic used in solid organ transplantation today, just more on-the-fly. Thankfully I'm not in solid organ transplantation - but may need to get involved in vent triage in the near future.
    I stumbled on a article while waiting in the airport, that in Italy, difficult decisions are already being made regarding who receives treatment.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...al-bed/607807/

From above Atlantic article
    "Those who are too old to have a high likelihood of recovery, or who have too low a number of “life-years” left even if they should survive, would be left to die. This sounds cruel, but the alternative, the document argues, is no better. “In case of a total saturation of resources, maintaining the criterion of ‘first come, first served’ would amount to a decision to exclude late-arriving patients from access to intensive care.”

Death panels?
    . . .

Yeah, the Atlantic article describes the triage decisionmakng quite well - excruciating regardless, but made prior to patients being shunted to higher levels of care.

What I was wondering how they make decisions when there are people on all available vents, with more needed - do they kick those with a poorer prognosis off for those with a better prognosis?

Probably not, they prolly just play it as it lays, but difficult decisions all along the line.

That's what it sounds like.

Bachelor closing?

Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    source?
    My hut trip for this weekend that got cancelled.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    How exactly can a virus live for 48hrs in the air? It just lingers there floating for 2 days after a sneeze?

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

While many of you will continue to backcountry ski and head to the desert to mountain bike, consider what could happen if you get injured. My wife hurt her leg a couple weeks ago and is now worried about the hospital being closed to elective surgeries, post op visits being cancelled and the PT office shutting down. At this point, I wouldn’t be counting on good healthcare if you are to get injured. Stay healthy out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My hut trip for this weekend that got cancelled.
    Thanks hadn't seen the email yet.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    While many of you will continue to backcountry ski and head to the desert to mountain bike, consider what could happen if you get injured. My wife hurt her leg a couple weeks ago and is now worried about the hospital being closed to elective surgeries, post op visits being cancelled and the PT office shutting down. At this point, I wouldn’t be counting on good healthcare if you are to get injured. Stay healthy out there!
    Good point. I was thinking about taking it easy only because I didn't want to go to the hospital if it was full of COVID patients. Same with driving and getting in an accident. Trying to get my bike fixed ASAP at the local shop before an unexpected closure of the shop. I will NEED to bike through this, ha.

I left my touring ski poles at Alta Thursday, not sure how to get those back now...

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Good point. I was thinking about taking it easy only because I didn't want to go to the hospital if it was full of COVID patients. Same with driving and getting in an accident. Trying to get my bike fixed ASAP at the local shop before an unexpected closure of the shop. I will NEED to bike through this, ha.

I left my touring ski poles at Alta Thursday, not sure how to get those back now...
    As I went over the bars Thursday all I could think of was "I really dont want to enter the healthcare system right now". Thankfully didn't result in any serious injuries, but was an eye opener considering the current situation. Stay safe everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    Thanks hadn't seen the email yet.
    I didn't get an email but I'm not the one who reserved it. But the hut maintenance guy called my buddy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Good thinking.

Book that trip now.

watch out for snakes

Big Sky is suspending ops. Ride for Jake came just in time!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I just said this in another thread, but everyone should keep in mind this is just skiing. Most places have had a good season. The snow will be back next winter.

Oh NO! He might get the common cold!

GF got the word last Friday that her elective surgery (shoulder replacement) is now cancelled. She's not happy as she's in a considerable amount of pain. Hope they give her lots of pain meds in place of surgery and hope it doesn't lead to something worse.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism