Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Exclamation Covid19 affected my skiing plans

With 7 days left of skiing at Alta / Snowbird, I was planning on a March trip out to SLC. But now the thought of sitting in an airplane for 4 hours plus time in the airport and using a rental automobile that someone else just got out of is turning me off.

Maybe I am being paranoid, but maybe I am not. The news today has been full of new and enlarging outbreaks around the country. Seems as if this thing is easily transmitted and spreading fast. And I am in an age group with a higher mortality ratio.

Me thinks the genie is out of the bottle.

I wouldn’t risk it at your age.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

you must be really old

We have a LOT of Seattle residents come to our local hill, the ticket checkers are going to get it first and then unleash it on the rest of us. I'm letting chairs go by so I don't have to sit w strangers and hold my pass at arms length.

Vibes
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Just wear a buff, I hear it is better than an N95 mask.

COVID19 is in LCC and is hitting the traveling population hard. I would avoid the tram and mineral basin at all costs. Fresh snow can serve as a vector, so if a storm is in the forecast you definitely don't want to be anywhere near a rope drop or lift line.

Quote Originally Posted by mcf258 View Post
    We have a LOT of Seattle residents come to our local hill, the ticket checkers are going to get it first and then unleash it on the rest of us. I'm letting chairs go by so I don't have to sit w strangers and hold my pass at arms length.
    Best everyone stay away and give those Seattle people space.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    COVID19 is in LCC and is hitting the traveling population hard. I would avoid the tram and mineral basin at all costs. Fresh snow can serve as a vector, so if a storm is in the forecast you definitely don't want to be anywhere near a rope drop or lift line.
    This is sound advice. I hear the Tram at JH is a notorious breeding ground.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

It's legit on my mind as well. I will probably ski even more backcountry the rest of this season to avoid being around large groups of people. I mean, I like that anyway, so this gives me a great excuse to not be lazy.

Well I am scheduled to go to to Mexico in 3 weeks - depending, of course, on how batshit this thing gets. Little on edge at this point but nowhere near panicking. A lot could happen, either way (much is unknown for now, even if the news is going nutz) in the coming weeks.

Of course it may not be up to me. Trump-tard has already proposed closing the southern border, because any excuse to do so is perfect for him (no thought to the northern border of course, despite Canada having twice as many cases, and bordering more than twice as many states). We shall see.

I can say I would NOT be cancelling an Altabird trip at this juncture. Just go, hold your breath the entire time.

I bought full travel insurance Friday for my Mexico trip on March 20th. $180 peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is sound advice. I hear the Tram at JH is a notorious breeding ground.
    If it hasn't been said yet, I'm just repeating the obvious here. Avoid trams & gondis at all cost. Chairlifts only! And good God, don't even think of getting on one of those bubble chairs.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Once the bug is everywhere we can stop worrying about traveling. You don't even need particularly good medical care--either you don't have a bad case and you get better on your own or you wind up on a ventilator you're going to die regardless of the quality of care (actually the mortality rate for patients on ventilators seems to be about 60%). There's no medicine or disease specific treatment for it. The only sophisticated treatment is ECMO--basically a heart lung machine similar to what's used in heart surgery and the survival rate for patient's who need that must be very low in the best centers.

While spending time in an airplane isn't particularly appealing the upside of a ski trip--spending a lot of time outdoors--probably makes the trip safer than staying home.

My wife is going on a trip to SE Asia, where the risk is still pretty low, but she transits through South Korea and the Vietnamese are quarantining everyone who enters via South Korea, which would seem to put a damper on the trip. She's going to cancel of course and the tour company will give her a credit for a future trip (if there is a future) but Korean Air is being stingy at the moment.

I am currently kind of assuming I will get it, I just hope it is a mild or an asymptomatic case. We are sitting ducks here.

I am currently kind of assuming I will get it, I just hope it is a mild or an asymptomatic case. We are sitting ducks here.
    And you don’t accidentally spread it to those that may likely die if/when they catch it (eg older friends, family)....

Exactly, I am more worried about my 12 YO, honestly. And my parents, but they are far away.

It still snows by you guys?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

NOPE

I live .25 Mile from the nursing facility where the Seattle folks who died are from, and 3 blocks from the hospital they died at.

And now my SO thinks she is sick. I'm gonna get it. We're young and healthy though.

Headed to big white, then on to Nelson this week. My work is handing out work laptops like candy to prevent anyone with a hint of sickness from coming in.

I want to share the love of what I have to as many people as possible.

My skiing style of course. It's a gift to humanity.

I bought full travel insurance Friday for my Mexico trip on March 20th. $180 peace of mind.
    Me too.

For most of my life it never crossed my mind. But after a friend of a friend broke his femur in Mexico, and was not allowed to leave the country until he ponied up ~$10,000 in cash for his medical treatment (he had US insurance but it did not cover international incidents) I always do it, for international travel. Shit, it’s only a little bit more than baggage fees.

Keep in mind: travel insurance may or may not cover ski-related injuries (or other “extreme” endeavors - scuba etc). Ask questions before signing up.

Drive, RIFD, sleep in your car, eat boxes of cereal in the back seat.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Me too.

For most of my life it never crossed my mind. But after a friend of a friend broke his femur in Mexico, and was not allowed to leave the country until he ponied up ~$10,000 in cash for his medical treatment (he had US insurance but it did not cover international incidents) I always do it, for international travel. Shit, it’s only a little bit more than baggage fees.

Keep in mind: travel insurance may or may not cover ski-related injuries (or other “extreme” endeavors - scuba etc). Ask questions before signing up.
    Travel insurance also may exclude pandemic coverage. Saw discussion elsewhere of such on a now-not-happening ski trip to Italy.

World Cup Finals being scheduled for Cortina is also a question mark at this point. FIS is supposed to announce a decision Friday; other sporting events (namely the first two MotoGP rounds) have already been cancelled or postponed.

OP Don't be crazy and just go. If you get sick and die at least you'll die doing what you love instead of staying home watching the Golden Girls.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime