Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Red and REvy closed.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Until your hospital actually starts to be impacted the main reason I can see to cancel elective surgery that's going to be in the hospital a day or two is supplies--masks (although surgery doesn't used N95's), disinfectant, etc.). If the supply issue could be solved . . . but that's a big if.

How about freeing up beds and ICUs and personnel for the tsunami coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Old Goat reminds me of that SNL skit Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer except he’s Unfrozen Caveman Doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I just scratched a two-week ski touring trip to Norway. Been on the calendar for over a year. First world problems and all, but it's a pretty big let-down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Plus volly patrol are often emt/fire/nurse/doc etc (at least they were back when I did it). Those people aren't getting any days off anymore. Many (most) areas can't run a full operation with pro only without limiting tickets and terrain.
    That's funny as here at KH its pretty rare to see a vollie on a week day and sometimes don't see on weekends. Seems very variable with long weekends having the most but really it seems that they end up things that pro don't do like speed checks at the bottom.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Elective orthopedic surgery is a day or two in the hospital at most, no ICU. If you have beds and the tsunami hasn't hit yet no reason you can't do a knee without tying up beds--except for the supplies. Time to send a few of the hoarders and profiteers to jail and give the rest of them a 3 day amnesty to turn in all the stuff they're hoarding.

Elective surgery is a relative term. It often means the difference between working and not. It would be nice to knock out as many cases as they can now because the tsunami is coming, there will be no choice but to cancel, this thing is going to go on for a long time and people will be waiting years in pain.

My experience with anticipated hospital overload events is that they are usually overplanned for--all the hospitals waiting for 9/11 casualties that never happened because everyone was dead being a very extreme example. It's certainly better to be over planned than under, and hospitals should be thinking about what's to come of course, but make fact based rationale decisions.

And that's much more of an explanation than you deserve for not reading what I actually wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Old Goat reminds me of that SNL skit Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer except he’s Unfrozen Caveman Doctor.

Still frozen actually.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Elective orthopedic surgery is a day or two in the hospital at most, no ICU. If you have beds and the tsunami hasn't hit yet no reason you can't do a knee without tying up beds--except for the supplies. Time to send a few of the hoarders and profiteers to jail and give the rest of them a 3 day amnesty to turn in all the stuff they're hoarding.

Elective surgery is a relative term. It often means the difference between working and not. It would be nice to knock out as many cases as they can now because the tsunami is coming, there will be no choice but to cancel, this thing is going to go on for a long time and people will be waiting years in pain.

My experience with anticipated hospital overload events is that they are usually overplanned for--all the hospitals waiting for 9/11 casualties that never happened because everyone was dead being a very extreme example. It's certainly better to be over planned than under, and hospitals should be thinking about what's to come of course, but make fact based rationale decisions.

And that's much more of an explanation than you deserve for not reading what I actually wrote.
    I read what you wrote. You should read some dispatches from medical workers in Italy before being so cavalier.

Not skiing, but surf.

Was planning to fly to Costa Rica tomorrow. They just declared state of emergency and are closing the border to foreigners. Any arrivals are to self quarantine for 14 days.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    You did the right thing.
    I had renters coming in too, not $8k worth, but income none the less. I refunded it all.

Meanwhile, Ruedi and his mafia at Selkirk Mountain Experience are being less accommodating. We're booked for mid-April and thus far their answer is "you bought trip insurance, right?" Nothing they offer if I recall, expected to buy third party I guess. Maybe I'm a loser, but I never buy it. Their consolation is credit towards next year with the added bonus of a $250 price increase (coincidence?) AND a $100 service fee. Nice effort trying to help out your neighbor. Maybe I'm just sensitive, but it doesn't feel right.

México is now shut. At least my last-minute travelers insurance kicks in now...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    ....Doctor.
    i think you mean dentist

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Contacted John Hancock last Thursday asking to file a claim. Crickets so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Where did you see this? We are supposed to be traveling to Mexico tomorrow morning...

I was supposed to be skiing pow with Whyturn this weekend, and Ms 1000-Oaks is quarantined in Argentina until the 22nd.

Ah well, it'll make a good story some day.

Update: I swear to god I read that Mexico is closing tonight.
    If anyone has mad search skills, please could you verify if this is true or not?
    I can’t find the thing I read (New York times)
    (There is lots saying it is not closed, but nothing totally current, as in the last few hours)
    Thanks.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I read what you wrote. You should read some dispatches from medical workers in Italy before being so cavalier.
    The Level 1 Trauma Center (UC Davis) where my son is training is still doing elective cases. They're not cavalier; they're experienced in managing bed crunches They had the first US community transmission Covid case, so they're not exactly naive.

BTW, triage doesn't just apply to COVID--having COVID shouldn't automatically qualify you for a vent ahead of a non-COVID case. Same principle applies--who has the best chance of benefiting from the vent--that is, survive. Given that the survival on a vent for COVID seems to be about 40% according to what an intensivist posted in one of our dozen or so threads, I would think that a lot of other emergency cases--surgical or otherwise--would qualify for a vent ahead of a COVID patient.
    Last edited by old goat; 03-16-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Here at the university of utah all elective cases are cancelled. There is a real concern of overwhelming the icu and beds in general. We were at damn near capacity bed wise without COVID. more concerning is how few PAPER’s and N95’s we have.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Here at the university of utah all elective cases are cancelled. There is a real concern of overwhelming the icu and beds in general. We were at damn near capacity bed wise without COVID. more concerning is how few PAPER’s and N95’s we have.

Over here at the labs across the way there are talks of mask/ppe shortage. That would be a huge obstacle in our ability to run testing. Also talks of training anyone with Molecular certification to run COVID-19 testing in case the infectious disease labs are overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-Down View Post
    I had renters coming in too, not $8k worth, but income none the less. I refunded it all.

Meanwhile, Ruedi and his mafia at Selkirk Mountain Experience are being less accommodating. We're booked for mid-April and thus far their answer is "you bought trip insurance, right?" Nothing they offer if I recall, expected to buy third party I guess. Maybe I'm a loser, but I never buy it. Their consolation is credit towards next year with the added bonus of a $250 price increase (coincidence?) AND a $100 service fee. Nice effort trying to help out your neighbor. Maybe I'm just sensitive, but it doesn't feel right.
    If it makes you feel any better, we asked to reschedule our Norway boat trip and boat trip operator said, essentially, "eat shit. you can cancel today (1 month out) for a 40% refund but we can't or won't reschedule you." Norway is currently on a 14 day quarantine lockdown, and they cancelled those trips on their end without refund and said "go talk to your travel insurance company." Assholes.

A lot of small adventure tourist companies are looking at going completely under because of this pandemic. They aren't losing out on a vacation or the money they put down on one, they are looking at losing everything they have, their dream and possibly their ability to feed their kids.

Some of you dentist types on here are going to be just fine.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Yeah this is our problem too (anonymous WA hospital). We were near capacity before all this started. Doing ok for now, but if you compare our COVID curve with Italy, in approx 2 weeks shit is set to go off the rails if this social distancing thing doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    A lot of small adventure tourist companies are looking at going completely under because of this pandemic. They aren't losing out on a vacation or the money they put down on one, they are looking at losing everything they have, their dream and possibly their ability to feed their kids.

And they are in jeopardy of losing future customers and business if they are assholes. I am not a dentist or anything close, and the loss of money won't sink me, but the "fuck you attitude/delivery" with zero compassion or apology isn't going to get them far. And since it is Canada I am sure the government will just write them a fat check and pat them on the back if they get in trouble.

Anybody who doesn't have to work for income or is operating a business will be fine, as long as they weren't all in equities, and even for the latter, that will come back, and stuff is going to be a whole lot cheaper in six months, anyway.
    So, the rich get richer .

I mean, I get it, but at the same time, if I pay you money to provide a service and you can't provide the service, it doesn't seem fair for you to keep most or all of the money without trying to make some accommodations.