Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    OP Don't be crazy and just go. If you get sick and die at least you'll die doing what you love instead of staying home watching the Golden Girls.
    That’s bunnies favorite show.
    He eats with one hand and jerks with the other it saves time so he can get back to cunting up the ECRC

I was going to japan but with low snow and coronavirus outbreak I cancelled. Instead turned the snow vacay into a Columbian adventure....now I miss snow...and I’m likely to get the virus flying home...lol

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    There was a mom with 2 young kids in the tram line on Sunday at Big Sky. One of the kids, maybe 10 years old, was coughing his face off. Didn't cover his mouth ONCE. For like 45 minutes. Mom kept saying, "You have to try to not cough Mason/Tyler/[insert uppity new age name]!"

Um, are those Ikon days that fucking precious that your kid who is clearly sick as hell HAS to be in the fucking tram line coughing on everyone?

Luckily they ended up in the bucket behind me and probably infected all 15 passengers. Kidding not kidding.

Thousands dead, world economy on the brink of collapse, but let's get down to what's really important.... a ski vacation.

Yeah is that airfare to Italy cheap now for your alps vacation?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

During the great flu epidemic of 1918? it spared communities at high altitude. Just ski above treeline and you'll be fine

Decided against a Mexico beach trip this spring. Taking a road trip through the southwest with bikes instead. Actually looking forward to that more anyway.

I also have a big conference in San Antonio next month that I'm wondering if it might get canceled. Might be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    (no thought to the northern border of course, despite Canada having twice as many cases, and bordering more than twice as many states).
    Yes, we've all got flu-like symptoms up here. Situation is dire....

I bet my bindings that if people in the USA weren't afraid of having to get a second mortgage after they go see a doctor, there'd be a LOT more confirmed cases down there.

At this time, no federal restrictions are in place to prevent travel within the United States. However, misinformation — in the news, on social media and among colleagues — has led to rising concerns...

I am flying to Colorado on Saturday. <- thats a period

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Yes, we've all got flu-like symptoms up here. Situation is dire....

I bet my bindings that if people in the USA weren't afraid of having to get a second mortgage after they go see a doctor, there'd be a LOT more confirmed cases down there.
    Health officials have said there are likely hundreds to thousands unreported cases in WA due to a lack of testing and the fact that most will just have a cold to mild flu symptoms. Now that they are actually testing everyone the reported cases are expected to skyrocket.

I'm flying into Sacramento then headed to Tahoe tomorrow. No reason to cancel a trip when it's going to spread everywhere in the country eventually anyway

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Of course it may not be up to me. Trump-tard has already proposed closing the southern border, because any excuse to do so is perfect for him (no thought to the northern border of course, despite Canada having twice as many cases, and bordering more than twice as many states). We shall see.
    Well closing your northern border would do us a favour since Washington State has had infinitely more fatalities than Canada so far (6 v.s. 0).

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Well closing your northern border would do us a favour since Washington State has had infinitely more fatalities than Canada so far (6 v.s. 0).
    I think it's 7 now. USA also has 108 confirmed cases - Canada has 27, all of which are traced back to travel from more affected areas.

I'm flying to YVR in a couple weeks, then taking whatever I catch on the plane/airport handrails up to Whistler. The safest place to be is the closest place to danger!

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Thousands dead, world economy on the brink of collapse, but let's get down to what's really important.... a ski vacation.
    For the thousands of hourly employees in the ski industry, this could turn into a significant problem. I'm lucky enough that my industry income supplements my primary job and that I'm married to a teacher with good insurance, but there are plenty of people around who rely on tourism to make ends meet.

I'm glad I'm not in the restaurant industry right now, let alone working on a cruise ship.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I think it's 7 now. USA also has 108 confirmed cases - Canada has 27, all of which are traced back to travel from more affected areas.

I'm flying to YVR in a couple weeks, then taking whatever I catch on the plane/airport handrails up to Whistler. The safest place to be is the closest place to danger!
    Keep your friends close and enemies closer?

Yesterday, I skied with a friend who just returned from Cham. He was underwhelmed with the french snow. Unknown to me (until 2:00pm), he spent 2 days skiing Courmayeur, IT. Usually, he brings his wife along. She didn't come, because she is experience cold-like symptoms. If I knew this in the AM, I would have been skiing alone
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Yesterday, I skied with a friend who just returned from Cham. He was underwhelmed with the french snow. Unknown to me (until 2:00pm), he spent 2 days skiing Courmayeur, IT. Usually, he brings his wife along. She didn't come, because she is experience cold-like symptoms. If I knew this in the AM, I would have been skiing alone
    Toughen up. Courmayeur is literally a 20 min bus ride away. If the virus is in Courmayeur, its in Chamonix also.

Its gonna get everyone. Id rather get it in the next few weeks when my work will make special accommodations for me, as opposed to a month or two from now when the hysteria has died down and everyone starts realizing its basically just a cold/flu and my work expects my productivity to remain at a normal level. Then again, id rather not get sick at all. But is not getting sick really worth going out of my way constantly for a few months?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Its gonna get everyone. Id rather get it in the next few weeks when my work will make special accommodations for me, as opposed to a month or two from now when the hysteria has died down and everyone starts realizing its basically just a cold/flu and my work expects my productivity to remain at a normal level. Then again, id rather not get sick at all. But is not getting sick really worth going out of my way constantly for a few months?
    It might get everyone, but wouldn't it be nice to get it later on, maybe after they've found a vaccine or at least learned how to effectively test for and treat the virus? Maybe not have to be quarantined or having your face on the news as the first person in your state to get it because you are a disgusting human being with poor hygiene who never washers their hands?

I'd rather delay the inevitable, at least till after ski season anyway. May- early June sucks around here, that'd be a decent time to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    It might get everyone, but wouldn't it be nice to get it later on, maybe after they've found a vaccine or at least learned how to effectively test for and treat the virus? Maybe not have to be quarantined or having your face on the news as the first person in your state to get it because you are a disgusting human being with poor hygiene who never washers their hands?

I'd rather delay the inevitable, at least till after ski season anyway. May- early June sucks around here, that'd be a decent time to get it.
    My work does Dx test dev and this thing fell in my lap mid-Jan, damn coronavirus has already stolen 8-10 days/nights I could of flaked off and skied without an extra project and some tight timelines. May-June would have been so much better.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Dude, this here is america. They cannot legally quarantine you against your will i dont believe. I go skiing with a cold all the time, so do others. Not ideal, but shouldnt keep you from a pow day.

Can you imagine how quick those lift lines will clear for you when you announce you have CoronaVirus? parting of the weekend crowd red sea here I come!

We'll know if Gilead's remdesivir provides a treatment option by the end of April. Trial ongoing. I suspect it will be partially effective which could reduce the death rate.

https://www.gilead.com/news-and-pres...nt-of-covid-19

Separately, there's an approved drug in Japan that may already have some efficacy in infected patients (and protect against new infection)?

Here's the paper that ID's this connection:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...304-4/fulltext

Here's the drug:
    https://drugs.ncats.io/substance/0FD207WKDU

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Dude, this here is america. They cannot legally quarantine you against your will i dont believe. I go skiing with a cold all the time, so do others. Not ideal, but shouldnt keep you from a pow day.

Can you imagine how quick those lift lines will clear for you when you announce you have CoronaVirus? parting of the weekend crowd red sea here I come!
    They most definitely can quarantine you in the US. There is a law that allows it and the list of diseases is established by executive order, so I believe Trump would have to issue an executive order specifically for coronavirus. The most common disease that is currently quarantined is TB, I believe, where people can be held in the hospital and given medication against their will.

You'd want to get it now while hospital beds and respirators are available. Once those are full is when the death rate can really skyrocket.

My credentials: I work in telecom and read about this on the internet.

Skiing seems like one of the most safe things to do with a virus around. You're pretty much covered head to toe and it ain't easy for viruses to transfer from person-to-person outside. I haven't even thought about canceling a long weekend at Mount Baker this month.

We have a 10-day trip to disney world and universal in april that I'm pretty close to canceling though. Fuck that germ fest.

Protip--Travel Guard won't reimburse you if you cancel a trip due to the risk of coronavirus. I wonder if they'll be able to defend that policy for trips to places with Level 3 travel warnings like S Korea. If you or a travel company cancel a trip for which you've purchased travel insurance and aren't making a claim, Travel Guard will allow you to apply the premium to a policy for a later trip.

My wife gets an email from Korean Air changing her flight from LAX to Seoul moving it 12 hours later, but they didn't reschedule her connection to Bangkok which she will miss, and she will miss her tour. She's getting a refund but the point is that things are chaotic right now. I suspect that a lot of flights to risky destinations will cancel at the late minute.