Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Just got word that the hut trip I bailed on is now cancelled, 10th Mountain huts shutting down for the season I believe.
    source?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    No. It's because the virus kills people, young and old and health care workers are exposed to a lot of coronavirus. Duh.
    Exactly. The article splat seems to be referring to is in the NYT. No shortage of ICU resources for the sadly deceased individual described. And certainly, while long hours and stress can take their toll, more likely some kind of cytokine storm or other subtle immune dysfunction likely at play for young otherwise healthy individuals succumbing to the disease. The idea of "forced sacrifice for glorious state" is an unnecessary stereotype, as many clinicians would work extra long hours and make the requisite sacrifices if they felt it would save their patients, whether it was under a totalitarian state like China, a Euro-socialized healthcare system, or the patchwork of "marketplace" medicine we practice here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    The idea of "forced sacrifice for glorious state" is an unnecessary stereotype, as many clinicians would work extra long hours and make the requisite sacrifices if they felt it would save their patients, whether it was under a totalitarian state like China, a Euro-socialized healthcare system, or the patchwork of "marketplace" medicine we practice here in the US.
    If we can handle this virus like China has done so far we should consider ourselves lucky. They certainly made some mistakes, but once they acted they acted fast and convincingly.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    If we can handle this virus like China has done so far we should consider ourselves lucky. They certainly made some mistakes, but once they acted they acted fast and convincingly.
    Crystal announced lots were full at 9.20 this morning.

Pretty irresponsible to stay open IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

France goes into shutdown...

Germany needs to do the same and soon!

Important information here

And France closed all restaurants, bars, cafes.

Which i think makes sense, i stopped going to restaurants last week.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    And France closed all restaurants, bars, cafes.

Which i think makes sense, i stopped going to restaurants last week.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    When’s that coming to the US? Monday?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    When’s that coming to the US? Monday?
    It's the golf resorts that he will close last.

Vail resorts all closed for the next week. Looks like the Paulster’s whistler virus fest is pooched!

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporat...il-resorts.htm

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^ I'm afraid this is analogous to the NBA season suspension just before every other sporting event was put on hold.

And unfortunately the "indeterminate time period" aspect likely means no uphill access at most places (I'm thinking of AltaBird personally).

Hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app

Is Benny in Oklahoma yet?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Vail resorts all closed for the next week. Looks like the Paulster’s whistler virus fest is pooched!

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporat...il-resorts.htm

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That will leave a dent. And as someone else posted, Alterra can't be far behind.

https://www.alterramtnco.com/news/20...ouncement.html

Alterra just announced indefinite closure starting tomorrow. I imagine all the indy resorts will be next.

I think there will be a lot of touring in my future.

Comments on the Vail Instagram are gold. Such whiney, entitled babies.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It will be interesting to see how decisions are made re ECMO. First come first serve? Who you know?
    This actually treads into a domain of medical ethics rarely put to practical use but if we go the way of Italy (which, based on doofus-in-chief's handling of testing, we might) may become relevant. Essentially, you want to do the most good with a finite amount of a resource. So you start assigning treatments based on who is most likely to survive (but wouldn't if denied treatment) and expand into sicker/older groups with lower likelihood of having a good outcome. Rationing/triage medicine.

There are something on the order of ~100,000 ICU beds in the US. 60-90,000 ventilators, depending on who you ask. ~10% of COVID patients will require ventilation. Assume 50-70% of the US are -eventually- infected. The math isn't encouraging but the difference between "slammed and managing" and "completely overwhelmed" will depend on how quickly new cases develop/present.

The picture being painted this early in the game by Summit is rather concerning.

Alta suspended

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    https://www.alterramtnco.com/news/20...ouncement.html

Alterra just announced indefinite closure starting tomorrow. I imagine all the indy resorts will be next.

I think there will be a lot of touring in my future.
    And they said they don't plan to allow uphill travel either during this. The Facebook comments on that post are what you'd expect. They sent an email saying they had no plans to close yesterday and people are whining about that.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It's the golf resorts that he will close last.
    I went golfing today. Out in the fresh air.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Being out in the fresh air on a chairlift is bad!!!! We want everyone face to face at costco wrestling over the last 12 pack of Charmin like the plebes that we are!!!!

Caught the last happy plane out of Eagle tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    This actually treads into a domain of medical ethics rarely put to practical use but if we go the way of Italy (which, based on doofus-in-chief's handling of testing, we might) may become relevant. Essentially, you want to do the most good with a finite amount of a resource. So you start assigning treatments based on who is most likely to survive (but wouldn't if denied treatment) and expand into sicker/older groups with lower likelihood of having a good outcome. Rationing/triage medicine.

There are something on the order of ~100,000 ICU beds in the US. 60-90,000 ventilators, depending on who you ask. ~10% of COVID patients will require ventilation. Assume 50-70% of the US are -eventually- infected. The math isn't encouraging but the difference between "slammed and managing" and "completely overwhelmed" will depend on how quickly new cases develop/present.
    I 'm probably one of the few here who remembers rationing dialysis machines in the 60's, back before nephrologists figured out how much money could be made in dialysis clinics. Committees would meet to select patients, based on things like age, whether they had a family, whether they had a job they could go back to. I doubt we would use those criteria nowadays, most likely to be based as you say on potential for medical benefit, although of course age would be a big big factor.

A colleague of mine visited China some decades ago. He found that they had a very sophisticated limb replantation program, with a goal of returning people to work. They had no interest in coronary bypass--they didn't see those patients as likely to go back to work. They had no room in their country at time for people who couldn't work.

RE vent triage: It's the same logic used in solid organ transplantation today, just more on-the-fly. Thankfully I'm not in solid organ transplantation - but may need to get involved in vent triage in the near future.