Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Time for another 2 yr self imposed staycation

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Time for another 2 yr self imposed staycation

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    This would almost be enjoyable if my kids weren't here.

vibes
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by once/year View Post
    Emailed from Silverton Heli in AK two days ago (some personal commentary and the email cut-and-pasted below--yes I'm a "dentist" but also a ripping skier, father who loves his family and needs to be present and safe for them, and employer who is trying to figure out how to be sure that my people get paychecks for the foreseeable future. We're all in this together). Obviously the email was informed by a lawyer--Force Majeure would return all parties to their positions prior to the contract, but showing up ready to specifically perform your contract gives you at least a colorable argument to keep people's money. "Fixed costs" comments seem disingenuous, given that the biggest cost is heli fuel. I'd be happy to pay the guides, but keeping the gas money seems pretty ugly. Of course, they've got lost costs in the San Juans due to shutting down the op there. Most everyone is traveling to Anchorage via Seattle (from places like New York), and planning to eat in restaurants and stay in Anchorage hotels for obvious reasons, and leave before they might ever know they were exposed or transmitting. Also, no "trip insurance" was ever mentioned in contracts or otherwise and this is the first that its been mentioned in any context. You cannot go buy it now, though. That's not necessarily on them, its just a fact. I get that there is an existential crisis for many businesses, so there are lots of angles here for sure, including ethical ones. Got word yesterday that all British Columbia pilots were picking everyone up early from hut trips, one of which I which I was supposed to be on (very good for Americans because they may have had no outside contact for the last week or be aware that they'd be stuck in BC if they don't get back across the border by midnight tonight) I can guarantee there will be litigation, as will happen in other contexts all over the country, but especially when you're trying to keep almost ~$35k for a group of 4--the cost of Silverton Heli AK. There are interesting analogies to be made here regarding traveling in avy terrain as well. Ie, no heuristic for the situation we find ourselves in, exposure/risk for pilots, employees, clients, citizens of Anchorage and AK, and charging ahead because of economic motive or stoke. Ignoring risk is obviously dangerous in the backcountry, and exposure is now an issue of walking outside of your door. I'd love to replace the word "COVID-19" on the Slide Avalanche podcast to discuss the same principles under these circumstances. I forgot podcaster's name, but he's one of the most coldly logical thinkers I've ever heard. Also a Silverton employee if memory serves. Interesting analogy. Here's the email from Silverton Heli AK:

Good afternoon,

We are looking forward to your upcoming AK trip! With all the closures due to COVID-19 we wanted to be in touch and let everyone know that we are all systems go here in Alaska and many other heli ski operations are also chugging along and open.

Tordrillo Heli, Valdez Heli Ski Guides, Points North Heli are all open and operational. We are following suit with all of these other operations to remain open and follow contract guidelines, including not offering credits or refunds. We all have fixed expenses and encourage all of our guests to purchase travel insurance in the event they are not able to join us on the trip.

Hotel Alyeska is still open as is Alyeska Ski Resort. If that changes we have multiple base locations and lodging outlets we can utilize. Please let us know what questions you might have and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Thanks,

Blair
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I do not know why once/year bothered to post that Silverton crap. Things have changed since that email and does not pertain to today's situation. But it does show that Silverton is just a bunch of greedy assholes with no regard to other users.
    off your knees Louie

who calls themselves a ripping skier?

Anchorage/girdwood under what is essentially a shelter in place order. Alyeska has been closed since Thursday. Gov' mandated/asked (depending on your read) tour operators to cancel out of state bookings and strongly advised outsiders from traveling to Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Maybe chili was involved?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

A Joey, duh
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Didn't we used to just call it "aggressive"? Times have changed.

As this pandemic progresses skiing seems to be more and more trivial. I am sharing some tips that came from the UCB epidemiology department about keeping yourself and your home as safe as possible.

If you live with others you need to approach your home as a sterile lab and institute some rudimentary decon procedures prior to entering.

separate outdoor clothes and indoor clothes. If possible anyways use the same entrance to your home. When shopping or interacting common areas of the public you should upon entering remove your clothes separate and shower before interacting with others in your household. Assume any goods purchased in a store are contaminated. Depending on packaging material, wipe them down with sanitizer or let them sit for a few days. No more cold cycle laundry. When doing outside clothes laundry assume they are contaminated use gloves or do extensive hand washing after placing clothes in washer. Fresh veggies should soak in a mild bleach solution then rinsed, better yet avoid eating raw vegetables for awhile. A good rule to follow is the classic peace corps rule " boil it, peel it or forget it".

Please remember that individual actions will mean a lot in the next months ahead. Stay safe and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    As this pandemic progresses skiing seems to be more and more trivial. I am sharing some tips that came from the UCB epidemiology department about keeping yourself and your home as safe as possible.

If you live with others you need to approach your home as a sterile lab and institute some rudimentary decon procedures prior to entering.

separate outdoor clothes and indoor clothes. If possible anyways use the same entrance to your home. When shopping or interacting common areas of the public you should upon entering remove your clothes separate and shower before interacting with others in your household. Assume any goods purchased in a store are contaminated. Depending on packaging material, wipe them down with sanitizer or let them sit for a few days. No more cold cycle laundry. When doing outside clothes laundry assume they are contaminated use gloves or do extensive hand washing after placing clothes in washer. Fresh veggies should soak in a mild bleach solution then rinsed, better yet avoid eating raw vegetables for awhile. A good rule to follow is the classic peace corps rule " boil it, peel it or forget it".

Please remember that individual actions will mean a lot in the next months ahead. Stay safe and healthy.
    What about mail and Amazon boxes? Wipe that all down?

we let our amazon boxes sit for 24 hours but if you open immediately I would be careful and wash hands immediately after. Mail same thing. I also have been wearing gloves when bringing in the garbage cans. I feel sorry for the garbage guys must be like playing Russian roulette.

I wonder when Amazon will sell an Amazon decontamination kit? 24 hr. guaranty to get your shit that you already got, but faster.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    In the spirit of sharing facts, here's a new Microsoft/CDC coronavirus self-assessment bot in case you or your friends, family members are feeling ill and want to understand if your symptoms match the virus. Just click the 'coronavirus self-checker' link. Stay healthy everyone! https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g/testing.html

Covid19 affected my skiing plans

Someone who isn’t nearly as good as they think they are. Like those tools who say they only ski black diamonds.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Someone who isn’t nearly as good as they think they are. Like those tools who say they only ski black diamonds.
    As authentic as used car ads claiming "all highway miles."
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Last time I heard someone say they only ski black diamonds my response was: “It must be really difficult to get back to the lift.”
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

How else do you answer when someone asks you if you are good at skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    How else do you answer when someone asks you if you are good at skiing?
    The best skier on the mountain, obviously.

If you need a little cheering up, check out this hilarious live stream cabaret show my friend is putting on. It will make your day. Or ruin it.

https://www.facebook.com/rickydiamon...3671498473228/

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Didn't we used to just call it "aggressive"? Times have changed.
    I thought that turned into "extreme".