Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    I just canceled a dental appointment, so everyone is feeling the pinch these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-Down View Post
    And they are in jeopardy of losing future customers and business if they are assholes. I am not a dentist or anything close, and the loss of money won't sink me, but the "fuck you attitude/delivery" with zero compassion or apology isn't going to get them far. And since it is Canada I am sure the government will just write them a fat check and pat them on the back if they get in trouble.

Who do you think will be more affected by losing 2-3k? For you it's disposable income used for vacation recreation. For the op/guides/staff it's needed income to likely get by in the mountain town they live in.

It is no one's fault for why the trip was canceled. Everyone is getting screwed here. If you can afford to pay it forward do so, and hope that karma comes back around.

If everyone got fully refunded for cancellations over the next two months the economy is Uber fucked. Just consider it a bad weather trip this year and you are getting a killer deal next year.

If you have a nonrefundable reservation at a hotel, for example, that you cancel the hotel is justified in keeping the money, although I imagine some will not. If you book a guided trip that the operator cancels you have every right to expect a refund. It sucks for the operator but it is not the job of customers, however wealthy, to bail them out. Some customers may choose to take a credit instead of a refund if the owner sweetens the pot. My wife is taking a credit on a trip she could get a refund on.

A lot of people are going to be badly hurt economically through no fault of their own, just as they are in a recession. Some people are going to die through no fault of their own, just as they do every day, pandemic or no pandemic. It is our job as a society, as a country, to give people the help they need to get by, and the primary way that should be done is through govt. There is nothing wrong with private charity, but I would rather give money to a local food bank than to donate it to a tour operator, no matter how righteous they are. Sierra Community House could use a hand I'm sure, if you're in the Tahoe area.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, we asked to reschedule our Norway boat trip and boat trip operator said, essentially, "eat shit. you can cancel today (1 month out) for a 40% refund but we can't or won't reschedule you." Norway is currently on a 14 day quarantine lockdown, and they cancelled those trips on their end without refund and said "go talk to your travel insurance company." Assholes.
    that blows. and sorry you had to cancel that trip, puts my measly little 2 hut trips canceled in perspective.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We just cancelled a Mexico trip. The folks we rented the house from did not refund us our money, but said we had a credit to book the place, any time in the next 18 months. Seems like a reasonable compromise, fair to both parties, and probably how these things should be being handled.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Who do you think will be more affected by losing 2-3k? For you it's disposable income used for vacation recreation. For the op/guides/staff it's needed income to likely get by in the mountain town they live in.

It is no one's fault for why the trip was canceled. Everyone is getting screwed here. If you can afford to pay it forward do so, and hope that karma comes back around.

If everyone got fully refunded for cancellations over the next two months the economy is Uber fucked. Just consider it a bad weather trip this year and you are getting a killer deal next year.
    So maybe some more details will help.......to go with the "fuck you attitude" they are saying you can have a credit for next year, but you get to pay an extra $250 because we are coincidentally raising prices......oh, and because we're being so nice to offer you a credit (minus a some ass-pounding) we're gonna charge you a $100 service fee to change to next year.......and some taxes on top of it. What does a change in dates entail, a few clicks on a calendar??? So you're gonna charge me and my two buddies a total of $300 in service fees to make that change, plus hit us with next years price increase???? (Thats a total of $1050+tax for the math challenged).

Maybe I am missing the "killer deal for next year" part. How about we make the change to next year and go spend a week there and just skip the several hundred dollar tip when we leave?

Golden Alpine Holidays just closed their huts
    Last edited by Hammer-Down; 03-17-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post

This is fucking bullshit. One person earned that money, the other didn't. If you want karma donate some money to Red Cross.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    We just cancelled a Mexico trip. The folks we rented the house from did not refund us our money, but said we had a credit to book the place, any time in the next 18 months. Seems like a reasonable compromise, fair to both parties, and probably how these things should be being handled.
    Similar situation here... we just pulled the plug on lodging for a week in Belize scheduled for April. Kudos to the property manager who gave us credit to rebook later in the year at the same rate.

When I was weighing the whole refund vs. credit thing, I took into account that regardless of which I opted to offer my rental units will be occupied. Generally, each of my units rent for ~80-100 days during the winter. Last summer, we were lucky and they are occupied by Yellowstone cast and/or crew. I may be able to increase my rates by 10% next season. Because of this, first I asked each tenant whether there was traveler's ins., and then I gave each the option of refund or credit. I guess that $$ talks, because while each thanked me, each chose the refund. More than anything, I hope that they were not BSing me regarding the lack of trip ins. That would just be wrong.

Lastly, I would like to say that the two renters who checked out after the resort closed, were the two biggest pigs that I have ever rented to. Disgusting bitches!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

FWIW, I don't think travel insurance covers unless the traveler is sick:

https://www.worldnomads.com/usa/help...ronavirus-faqs
    7. What if the airline canceled my flight because of COVID-19?

Whether you haven’t left yet or are already at your destination, this is an event our policies don’t have coverage for. Contact your airline to see what your options are. For more on what World Nomads policies cover related to COVID-19 events, refer to “Is COVID-19 covered by World Nomads travel insurance?”

Mine is covered if the airline cancels for any reason.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Contrary to my previous post (a couple of days ago). Shames is now closed for the season. Apologies if you are now in the car or plane and on the way here. I can buy you a beer when I see you next. Sorry. Take care everyone.

If you changed your ski plans to desert plans, please be advised that Moab is basically closed. No non-local lodging allowed - even camping on public and private land:

https://moabtimes.com/wp-content/upl...2020-FINAL.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    If you changed your ski plans to desert plans, please be advised that Moab is basically closed. No non-local lodging allowed - even camping on public and private land:

https://moabtimes.com/wp-content/upl...2020-FINAL.pdf
    Crazy! Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything in the PDF about camping or public or private land.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    Crazy! Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything in the PDF about camping or public or private land.
    See section 3, "Overnight Lodging" (pp. 4-5). I saw an article online (which of course I can't find now) stating that local authorities were coordinating enforcement with BLM.

Edit: here's the article I saw: https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/3/...rches-covid-19

And Moab's hospital only has 17 beds, damn.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Bluewood is still open though Dayton does have the only confirmed case in the tri-county area.
    and another one bites the dust. Bluewood closed.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    And Moab's hospital only has 17 beds, damn.
    and only 1 or 2 ventilators.

That's from a former Moab ER doc.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    and another one bites the dust. Bluewood closed.
    Shit

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    OP Don't be crazy and just go. If you get sick and die at least you'll die doing what you love instead of staying home watching the Golden Girls.
    Seasons done, I'm done.
    Never went. Kinda glad I didn't. What with all the closures and all.
    Two things I love doing in March. Skiing and watching March Madness.
    Both got the kibosh. Guess I'm stuck home watching YouTube reruns from 1999,2004, 2011 and 2014.
    Don't want to die doing either (always hated that stupid saying). Hope I go like Don Corleone.

Quote Originally Posted by stayhighstaydry View Post
    Seasons done, I'm done.
    Never went. Kinda glad I didn't. What with all the closures and all.
    Two things I love doing in March. Skiing and watching March Madness.
    Both got the kibosh. Guess I'm stuck home watching YouTube reruns from 1999,2004, 2011 and 2014.
    Don't want to die doing either (always hated that stupid saying). Hope I go like Don Corleone.
    Sounds like you should watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DD2fEEVVMk

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-Down View Post
    And they are in jeopardy of losing future customers and business if they are assholes. I am not a dentist or anything close, and the loss of money won't sink me, but the "fuck you attitude/delivery" with zero compassion or apology isn't going to get them far. And since it is Canada I am sure the government will just write them a fat check and pat them on the back if they get in trouble.
    Yeah, I see your point and well, you sure ain't wrong. Sorry if I came off dickesh but man, all of this internet and social media cunting (not directed at anyone on here) I see going around is flipping annoying to me. I guess if you're running a business you gotta be polite to customers even if you are under the pressure of possibly going under. Or, it at least ain't gonna help ya any.

Snowbowl closed today and tomorrow it's supposed to snow up to two feet over 48 hours. Oh well, I'm ok with it if it keeps people from getting sick.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftrbpxwbvqm41.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	320853

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftrbpxwbvqm41.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	320853
    End of thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by ipmcc View Post
    This is a good point. Having had the displeasure of earning a tibial plateau fracture skiing at RMR last year, I can report first hand that their hospital is tiny, and has limited resources. While I was enjoying their hospitality, someone commented to me that the Revelstoke hospital is not equipped to handle much more than "first looks at ski injuries and the occasional drunk." Basically everything else gets you sent to Kamloops (or further.) I don't know if this has changed since but when I was there they didn't even have an MRI machine.
    Im not sure about the mri. Ez walk in for an x ray and they are doing some surgeries but i think thats only recent. Personally i was more concerned about being one of the remaining hills that were open and tourists from all the other bc resorts that closed coming here. I see today we have 3 guides in quarantine from an infected client on a small group booking at a heli op owned by the hill. The guy also skied at the hill and spent time in the bar and restaurants. We have lots of skiing acreage to share usually but it just seems a little too close to home now, especially with only 2 ventilators and 16 beds at the hospital. It could be easily overwhelmed with an influx of visitors.
    Hope youre all healed and return for redemption soon

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    Similar situation here... we just pulled the plug on lodging for a week in Belize scheduled for April. Kudos to the property manager who gave us credit to rebook later in the year at the same rate.
    My daughter as well, (Mexico). She’ll rebook w/friends for graduation.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda