Precautions, yes.
    Change my plans, hell no.
    Ding ding ding!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Precautions, yes.
    Change my plans, hell no.
    WHO says go
    https://www.who.int/ith/2019-nCoV_ad...raffic-rev/en/

In general, evidence shows that restricting the movement of people and goods during public health emergencies is ineffective in most situations and may divert resources from other interventions. Furthermore, restrictions may interrupt needed aid and technical support, may disrupt businesses, and may have negative social and economic effects on the affected countries. However, in certain circumstances, measures that restrict the movement of people may prove temporarily useful, such as in settings with few international connections and limited response capacities.

Travel measures that significantly interfere with international traffic may only be justified at the beginning of an outbreak, as they may allow countries to gain time, even if only a few days, to rapidly implement effective preparedness measures. Such restrictions must be based on a careful risk assessment, be proportionate to the public health risk, be short in duration, and be reconsidered regularly as the situation evolves.

Travel bans to affected areas or denial of entry to passengers coming from affected areas are usually not effective in preventing the importation of cases but may have a significant economic and social impact. Since WHO declaration of a public health emergency of international concern in relation to COVID-19, and as of 27 February, 38 countries have reported to WHO additional health measures that significantly interfere with international traffic in relation to travel to and from China or other countries, ranging from denial of entry of passengers, visa restrictions or quarantine for returning travellers. Several countries that denied entry of travellers or who have suspended the flights to and from China or other affected countries, are now reporting cases of COVID-19.

Travellers returning from affected areas should self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days and follow national protocols of receiving countries.
    “Affected areas” are considered those countries, provinces, territories or cities experiencing ongoing transmission of COVID-19, in contrast to areas reporting only imported cases.

E.g. King County, Washington would be an affected area, as with several California counties, including mine, and coming soon to a location near you.

More at link including hygiene recommendations to protect you while there (wash hands often, cover cough/sneeze, no touchy face, etc)
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    You are going to get it. Accept this fact.
    How about accepting this fact: You're a fucking idiot without a clue.

1) A fucking multivitamin will in NO way protect you against or mitigate the risk of a contagious respiratory illness. Or any other kind, really.
    2) If you want to protect yourself, WASH YOUR HANDS! I mean really. Not just "spritz spritz how refreshing". Soap, hot water, 20-30 seconds. Like every chance you get. I mean like someone with OCD.
    3) The "Problem" is that people are selfish assholes that downplay their symptoms and put other people at risk by traveling while ill. The airport is a great place to meet them! Avoid selfish assholes.
    4) Try not to touch things unnecessarily. For those familiar, a "fomite" is an inanimate object that has the capacity to carry and spread infectious organisms. Wanna know the most effective? Cold. Hard. Currency. Those singles you put in the stripper's garter belt using your teeth? Yeahhhh, they've been...places. Stick to plastic only while traveling. It's easy, and in theory, it should help.
    3. If you DO get sick, absolutely DO self-quarantine. You may not be able to test...not easily anyway. Don't be a selfish fuck! For fuck's sake.

And an addendum, there's a very good chance this follows the trend of most other respiratory pathogens, having seasonal variation that peaks in mid-winter and luls in the summer. Whether this nasty becomes part of the yearly rotation rains to be determined. Hopefully it goes the way of SARS.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    WHO says go
    https://www.who.int/ith/2019-nCoV_ad...raffic-rev/en/

“Affected areas” are considered those countries, provinces, territories or cities experiencing ongoing transmission of COVID-19, in contrast to areas reporting only imported cases.

E.g. King County, Washington would be an affected area, as with several California counties, including mine, and coming soon to a location near you.

More at link including hygiene recommendations to protect you while there (wash hands often, cover cough/sneeze, no touchy face, etc)
    The WHO's statement makes a lot of sense to me--but some hesitancy to travel is rational. All of our means of travel except for private cars puts people in contact with larger numbers of other people in closer proximity for longer periods of time than is normal. Simple math--the more people you are exposed to the greater the chance one or more of them will have the virus, and the closer you are to them and the longer you are close the greater the dose of virus you are exposed to. (I am assuming that the risk of contracting COVID 19 is proportional to the number of viral particles you are exposed to, as it is for most infectious diseases, although the size of an infective dose is different for different diseases.) Also, in the current situation there is a chance of being quarantined away from home if you contract the virus, are exposed to the virus, or someone thinks you might have been exposed. If you don't travel you might still be quarantined but it will be at home unless you're sick. Finally, it makes no sense to travel if what you are going to see is closed.

I think travel will pick up when the disease is widely and fairly evenly distributed so that some destinations or some travelers are not perceived as more dangerous than other, when there is an international consensus about how travelers who may be infected or exposed are to be treated that is reasonable and not excessively burdensome, and when people have a better idea of the true risk.

Think of it like travel in avy country--you try to rationally assess the risk, realizing it's never zero, and decide what your personal risk tolerance is.
    Personally I feel comfortable traveling domestically but not internationally at the moment other than to Canada, due to my concern over how I might be treated rather than how likely I am to get sick.

My next trip is down to Sacramento this weekend. Hope the farmers' market is still on and farmers' are still selling.

Santa Clara County issued new recommendations today

Employers should:

Suspend nonessential employee travel.
    Minimize the number of employees working within arm’s length of one another, including minimizing or canceling large in-person meetings and conferences.
    Urge employees to stay home when they are sick and maximize flexibility in sick leave benefits.
    Not require a doctor’s note for employees that are sick as healthcare offices may be very busy and unable to provide that documentation right away.
    Consider use of telecommuting options for appropriate employees.
    Consider staggering start and end times to reduce large numbers of people coming together at the same time.

New Guidance for Persons Hosting Mass Gatherings and Large Community Events

At this time, we recommend postponing or canceling mass gatherings and large community events where large numbers of people are within arm’s length of one another.

Guidance for people at higher risk for severe COVID-19 Illness

The County Public Health Department is recommending that persons at higher risk of severe illness should stay home and away from crowded social gatherings of people as much as possible such as parades, conferences, sporting events, and concerts where large numbers of people are within arm’s length of one another.

Kids are encouraged to stay in school and pass the COVID around. (A few schools with infected adults are temporarily closed)

Guidance for people who are sick

Stay home when you are sick. Do not go out in public when you are sick. Avoid medical settings in general unless necessary. If you are ill in any way call your doctor's office first before going in and let them know your symptoms.

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/new...-3-5-2020.aspx

So, if you're travelling for work, don't go. If you're travelling to ski, not attending a parade, go ahead (is Chinese downhill a parade?). If FWT is there, that's a sporting event, so don't go if over 50. Unless you're in the ski industry, then it's work travel and don't go. Note, you don't need a doctor note for 'powder fever,' but should stay home if sick. Clear? Good!

How many on a chairlift/gondola/tram before it's a large number of people?
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    skiing already affected my life plans
    hope I don't git the sickness
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My next trip is down to Sacramento this weekend. Hope the farmers' market is still on and farmers' are still selling.
    thread drift. have you been to the Auburn farmer's market? Such a great market, we used to live in Auburn and went every saturday. -- end drift

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    thread drift. have you been to the Auburn farmer's market? Such a great market, we used to live in Auburn and went every saturday. -- end drift
    If you do go, get the pizza.

I work in the transportation industry and I say go. The way this thing spreads you're probably going to get it anyway, and your last few weeks on earth should be spent having fun skiing vs sitting on your couch at home browsing the web.

my company CEO issued a warning yesterday afternoon stating - "All training sessions, meetings, and events that include a large number people and/or travelling from multiple states or countries are suspended for the months of March"

we have our company wide ski trip set up for tomorrow which I help plan. I've got a bunch of questions this morning with people asking me if it's still on or if we're cancelling it. I basically sent an email saying that we're still on but mentioned if you're already feeling under the weather, please stay home. It's logical to question whether we'd still be running the trip or not but in my head I'm like c'moonnn man I'm not friggin cancelling the ski trip!!!!
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

Quote Originally Posted by uncreative View Post
    If you do go, get the pizza.
    Bella Familia right? DAMN GOOD pizza. such a great family operation.

Chaka, if you were at the farmers market on Saturday, when did you ski?

This is starting to affect our household now. My wife is a flight attendant and she just got an email on how the company is dealing with it, including optional 6 month furloughs. My wife is bummed she had some vacations over the last couple months so her unemployment won't be as big if she takes it right now. I'm still going to Bellingham in two weeks via Seattle. I'll wash my hands often.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Maybe it will stay in Vegas.
    Nope. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...2nd-for-nevada

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Chaka, if you were at the farmers market on Saturday, when did you ski?
    ha. I missed skiing last saturday for other lame reasons. we no longer live in Auburn, live in greater seattle area now, and miss dearly the all-year farmers market bounty from placer county. Our local markets now are great from May to October, but after that not so much (imho)

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    How about accepting this fact: You're a fucking idiot without a clue....
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

I think I’m probably done with the tram for a while, I may even be trying to figure out people to ski with to make foursomes and not ride chairs with tourists. I’m not too concerned with dying from it but have friends with older parents nearby, I’d just as soon not be Typhoid Mary.

Paranoia will destroy ya!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wRpAANsoG8I

So will an out of control autoimmune response.
    watch out for snakes

But paranoia's contagious; I'm coming down with it, too

Skiing in Italy is cancelled

Season over
    . . .

covid19 spelled backwards is 91divoc.
    Relatively low post count.

I'll check in. Was going to meet buddy in SLC to ski Big & Little Cottonwood. He was going to be there for a conference. Conference cancelled due to an overabundance of caution regarding Covid19. No more SLC ski trip. So... fuck Covid.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 03-09-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

https://emcrit.org/ibcc/COVID19/

All you could want and then some about Covid. I’d still travel.