Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    COVID-19 rates in the West show ski towns hit hard

Summit County, UT: 196 cases per 100,000.
    Eagle County, CO: 167 cases per 100,000.
    Gunnison County, CO: 162 cases per 100,000.
    Pitkin County, CO: 100 cases per 100,000.
    Blaine County, ID: 93 cases per 100,000.

National average: 16 cases per 100,000.
    Wow!

That’s so ikonic.

Funny all the people in ski towns telling everyone else to stay away. The cities should be telling us to stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Funny all the people in ski towns telling everyone else to stay away. The cities should be telling us to stay home.
    This was my whole fucking point in the Tahoe thread but most of the local kooks don't get it.

For me Covid19 has caused a trip to the Durrand Glacier hut to be postponed, not canceled, until next year. Was supposed to be April 11th. This would have been my sixth BC backcountry hut and first repeat. Though Reudi, who can be a bit of a cunt (I read that somewhere), is allowing use of a credit to be used in either 2021 or 2022 seasons, with a $250 seasonal price increase and $100 processing fee. I did not have trip insurance so this is not a bad scenario for our group of three.
    Stay well!

It's not an either/or: everyone should stay the fuck local. No, that doesn't mean you have to stay inside, and that definition will vary by location (there are places in Montana, and probably other states, where it may take 60 miles to get to a grocery store); but travel in any direction has the potential to be a spread vector and should be minimized.

The cities ARE telling people to stay home. Our governor in CO specifically told people NOT to go to the mountain communities for the reasons shown in the graphic you quoted. It isn't about any kind of weird localism, it is about preventing the spread of the virus. Why is that so hard to understand?

How hard is it to just stay in the city for a few weeks and chill in your own neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    How hard is it to just stay in the city for a few weeks and chill in your own neighborhood?
    really fucking hard. you think we live where we live because of how awesome our neighborhoods are?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    really fucking hard. you think we live where we live because of how awesome our neighborhoods are?
    Ha. Yeah.

Blaine County Idaho--Sun Valley/Ketchum/Hailey/Bellevue. As of Wed pm 47 confirmed cases in our county of just above 20,000 makes that number above too low. Many more unconfirmed cases are exhibiting symptoms.
    In late Feb the Brotherhood of Skiers visited with 600 participants. Big parties in close quarters. They are now reporting many of their members are sick with Covid. It is assumed they both brought it and took it with them. Then there was a big fancy wedding party from Seattle.
    Nobody is visiting now--our neighboring counties are telling us to stay the fuck away.
    Last edited by Beder; 03-25-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This was my whole fucking point in the Tahoe thread but most of the local kooks don't get it.
    I remember that. Thought you were being sarcastic. Stupid me.
    The virus is everywhere. While not importing cases is important, it matters a lot more what people do wherever they are at the moment. Along that line, a councilwoman told me one of the things Truckee is working on is improved grocery delivery, being discussed at today's meeting.
    Ski towns have a young, very socially active population. No surprise that social distancing is a challenge here.
    8 in of blower last night. Never thought I'd look forward to shoveling snow, but it's a good reason to get out of the house and get some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Are you fucking kidding? You think locals are returning on direct flights from China or Italy into Truckee International Airport and then driving to the Bay to hang out and spread the cooties? Anything that's here, be it food, merchandise, or a virus, came from somewhere else first.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Covid19 affected my skiing plans

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Are you fucking kidding? You think locals are returning on direct flights from China or Italy into Truckee International Airport and then driving to the Bay to hang out and spread the cooties? Anything that's here, be it food, merchandise, or a virus, came from somewhere else first.
    They came up because the ski resorts irresponsibly stayed open for that Saturday pow day. Direct your anger appropriately.

And yeah, people from Truckee fly in and out of SFO or Reno just the same and can bring it right back home. Nice straw man you took down, congrats.

I actually know a few people who live in Truckee and go to China regularly for work.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

God help us in Truckee if they don't cancel Burning Man. And while we're praying--God, please protect RBG.

Agree that the ski areas should have shut down sooner, but they were dragging their feet and reacting late just like pretty much everyone else in this country. And it's a lot easier to criticize that in hindsight, I'll include myself in those that thought we were overreacting, and now wondering why we didn't get out shit together sooner.
    Ain't no one from here flying in from any heavily affected areas for the past couple weeks. So far only 2 confirmed positives in Truckee. How many in the bay area? Do the math. If we keep people out, we'll be fine. If we let people in, we're fucked pretty quick. But yeah, that does assume no one from here going out of town and coming back infected. So yeah, just stay where you are, wherever that is, and limit contact with people. I know, easier said than done for nurses, firefighters, etc. who might commute each way, but for the rest of us it should be a no brainer.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Agree that the ski areas should have shut down sooner, but they were dragging their feet and reacting late just like pretty much everyone else in this country. And it's a lot easier to criticize that in hindsight, I'll include myself in those that thought we were overreacting, and now wondering why we didn't get out shit together sooner.
    Ain't no one from here flying in from any heavily affected areas for the past couple weeks. So far only 2 confirmed positives in Truckee. How many in the bay area? Do the math. If we keep people out, we'll be fine. If we let people in, we're fucked pretty quick. But yeah, that does assume no one from here going out of town and coming back infected. So yeah, just stay where you are, wherever that is, and limit contact with people. I know, easier said than done for nurses, firefighters, etc. who might commute each way, but for the rest of us it should be a no brainer.
    Where do you think the food you're eating comes from? How do you think it gets here? I could go on but you get the point. You cannot completely isolate the Tahoe area. And what makes you think there aren't other positives. If I remember correctly from the meeting yesterday Tahoe Forest has had a positive from Nevada County, Sierra County, two from Placer, one from El Dorado. None in the hospital. The virus is here. More is coming. If you could keep people out legally it would slow it down some but as we see from all the graphs, when it gets to a place it grows slowly at first, then faster and faster.
    The best thing we have going for us is that we're spread out which makes it easy for us to stay away from each other (except in the grocery store).

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Was talking to a friend last week about this. I think we may start to see the top of the curve in urbanization. At least in the USA. Lots of people with upper/upper middle white collar jobs which are now mostly remote and who spent every weekend/vacation out of the city are gonna be like, "Wait, I don't actually have to live here?" and are realizing it sucks balls being locked in an apartment everyday. When shit settles down somewhat lots of people will be jumping ship for the country I think. All you need is internet and a Zoom account anymore for quite a few jobs.

The hammer just dropped at our local ski hill. The bullwheel stopped spinnin' a while ago but ski touring was still allowed on the runs...not anymore. Shut'er down...and for good reason. The place was a gong show this past weekend. Like, the head shaking, wtf r u thinking kinda gong show. I did my own thing in my own time skirting all the donks on the runs and folks touring in/rest stopping in huddled groups. Got to the top, other guys from outta town show up, recently arrived to buttfuck nowhere B.C. Canada from California, no less...and proceeded to paraglide down the mountain they've never flown before. Overheard one guy say "Haven't flown this wing in a year, hope i remember how it handles", or something to that effect. Way to minimize risk. Still shaking my head over that whole circus...

"March 24, 2020

Dear Friends

As many of you already know, the COVID-19 pandemic is growing at an alarming rate. Our governments have asked that we stay at home unless absolutely necessary. Our hospitals and care workers have requested we abstain from high risk activities to limit the pressure on our Healthcare system. Avalanche Canada has announced ending its forecasts within days and has asked people to “Please restrain backcountry activities during pandemic”. Our local emergency services are also impacted by this crisis. As such we can expect response times to be affected.

The scene in our parking lot on Saturday the 21st, was not a display of our community actively participating in social distancing. From our parking camera and witness statements we could see a nearly full parking lot, full of mingling and group activity; tail gate gatherings, guests from all ends of the world, and entire families out and about like nothing was wrong.

Continuous failure to adhere to our government requests will only cause stricter restrictions and increase the time for which these restrictions will be in place. As responsible business owners, crown land tenants and Canadians, WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK EVERYONE TO ABSTAIN FROM COMING TO SHAMES TO RECREATE. This pandemic is a global issue that can only be resolved if we all do our part, and take these requests seriously.

Finally, due to the significant impacts of COVID-19 affecting all industries, avalanche hazards related road closures may become more frequent and for prolonged periods as we transitions from winter to a late spring snowpack.
    We thank you all in advance for your patience and cooperation in this matter.
    Sincerely,
    MMC-Shames Mountain Team"

Last edited by swissiphic; 03-26-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Was talking to a friend last week about this. I think we may start to see the top of the curve in urbanization. At least in the USA. Lots of people with upper/upper middle white collar jobs which are now mostly remote and who spent every weekend/vacation out of the city are gonna be like, "Wait, I don't actually have to live here?" and are realizing it sucks balls being locked in an apartment everyday. When shit settles down somewhat lots of people will be jumping ship for the country I think. All you need is internet and a Zoom account anymore for quite a few jobs.
    may be some truth to that. Everyone at my office is working remotely right now, and if we keep it up, our agency will likely realize that work from home is a viable option. Which is all I need to move away from the metropolis.

I would not want to be owning commercial office real estate right now, because lots of companies will be downsizing their office space over the coming 18 months.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    The hammer just dropped at our local ski hill. The bullwheel stopped spinnin' a while ago but ski touring was still allowed on the runs...not anymore. Shut'er down...and for good reason. The place was a gong show this past weekend. Like, the head shaking, wtf r u thinking kinda gong show. I did my own thing in my own time skirting all the donks on the runs and folks touring in/rest stopping in huddled groups. Got to the top, other guys from outta town show up, recently arrived to buttfuck nowhere B.C. Canada from California, no less...and proceeded to paraglide down the mountain they've never flown before. Overheard one guy say "Haven't flown this wing in a year, hope i remember how it handles", or something to that effect. Way to minimize risk. Still shaking my head over that whole circus...

"March 24, 2020

Dear Friends

As many of you already know, the COVID-19 pandemic is growing at an alarming rate. Our governments have asked that we stay at home unless absolutely necessary. Our hospitals and care workers have requested we abstain from high risk activities to limit the pressure on our Healthcare system. Avalanche Canada has announced ending its forecasts within days and has asked people to “Please restrain backcountry activities during pandemic”. Our local emergency services are also impacted by this crisis. As such we can expect response times to be affected.

The scene in our parking lot on Saturday the 21st, was not a display of our community actively participating in social distancing. From our parking camera and witness statements we could see a nearly full parking lot, full of mingling and group activity; tail gate gatherings, guests from all ends of the world, and entire families out and about like nothing was wrong.

Continuous failure to adhere to our government requests will only cause stricter restrictions and increase the time for which these restrictions will be in place. As responsible business owners, crown land tenants and Canadians, WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK EVERYONE TO ABSTAIN FROM COMING TO SHAMES TO RECREATE. This pandemic is a global issue that can only be resolved if we all do our part, and take these requests seriously.

Finally, due to the significant impacts of COVID-19 affecting all industries, avalanche hazards related road closures may become more frequent and for prolonged periods as we transitions from winter to a late spring snowpack.
    We thank you all in advance for your patience and cooperation in this matter.
    Sincerely,
    MMC-Shames Mountain Team"

this is why we can't have nice things.
    basic principle of life: every time there's a rule you don't like it's because some idiot did something stupid.

Saw on the internet today that ALL ski areas are now closed. Looks like Teton Pass Ski Area in Montana and Lookout Pass are the latest and final Covid victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Saw on the internet today that ALL ski areas are now closed. Looks like Teton Pass Ski Area in Montana and Lookout Pass are the latest and final Covid victims.
    Except for Powdr resorts, Killington and Mt Bachelor, are trying to reopen when and if possible

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    .... other guys from outta town show up, recently arrived to buttfuck nowhere B.C. Canada from California ....
    thats interesting,
    i tried driving across the US/CAN border at Frontier last weekend
    heading for red mountain, do a little ski touring, have some lunch,
    canadian customs turned me right-the-fuck around ....
    THEN i had to explain to ICE why i was entering the US ...

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    lots of people will be...country
    Fantastic. Soon I can look forward to the reason I hate being in the city moving to the place where I love being, the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"