Any Port Snobs Out There? Looking For Advice

I have a bottle of 1970 Dows VP. Full on wax top etc. Has been properly stored.

1. How do I open the fucker?

2. Stand up prior to opening, how long?

3. Decant...I assume, right before, or how long before?

4. From what I read, it needs to be drunk on opening. What to eat with it? And if you tell me chocolate, I’ll turd your door handle. Thinking some rich cheese.

Woodsy??? Bob the rich car dealer? Dan the Man?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Decant and let breathe. Serve with venison.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Bloody red meat, rich cheeses, and truffles.

^^What those guys said. Hopefully it actually was stored properly. Even then be prepared for a disaster. Here’s to hoping it’s fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Serve with venison.
    This. Elk medallions wouldn't be a bad choice either. We like doing either venison or elk this way with a blackberry and port reduction sauce. A little nice port on the side? Mmuah! Fantastico!

Would only add that if it’s a good bottle, strain the last dregs through cheesecloth into a separate glass.

And put a light under the neck while decanting
    . . .

Be prepared for the cork to crumble. Have an ah-so handy (but carefully try with the regular corkscrew first) as well as a fine strainer. Don't plan to leave it in the decanter for any great length of time as old wine, fortified or otherwise, often crashes and burns one it gets a good but if air in it. Port isn't dinner wine. Just cuz it's old doesn't mean it won't be quite sweet. At my house we'd probably do a big platter of cured meats, aged cheeses, almonds, olives, and crusty bread. Def not a good pairing for a savory entree course.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    This. Elk medallions wouldn't be a bad choice either. We like doing either venison or elk this way with a blackberry and port reduction sauce. A little nice port on the side? Mmuah! Fantastico!
    That sounds fucking fantastic. Appetizer portions. With some strong cheese.

may I suggest late night cocaine music?

What time should I come over? 2 hr drive would be worth it

Any Port Snobs Out There? Looking For Advice

Porto, something sweet (sorry it does make sense)(I like a nice fruit tart that’s not too rich) and a hot tub is how I’d go.

We had a very old fonseca a few years ago for an anniversary. Our local shop was owned by a Portuguese gent who had a fierce port cellar. he sold it to a sommelier who killed it for us on the regular. She suggested that fonseca. It was real nice.

She advised letting it breathe for a few hours. The cork can tend to disintegrate so be prepared as above. Decant and strain it. There’s a good chance you’ll have lots of vine and sediment.

I would imagine an old Dow would be fantastic. Is it ruby or tawny? Not even sure they have very old tawny ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Be prepared for the cork to crumble. Have an ah-so handy (but carefully try with the regular corkscrew first) as well as a fine strainer. Don't plan to leave it in the decanter for any great length of time as old wine, fortified or otherwise, often crashes and burns one it gets a good but if air in it. Port isn't dinner wine. Just cuz it's old doesn't mean it won't be quite sweet. At my house we'd probably do a big platter of cured meats, aged cheeses, almonds, olives, and crusty bread. Def not a good pairing for a savory entree course.
    This.

And to reiterate, do not despair if the cork disintegrates. Just push the rest of the cork into the bottle and strain with a funnel lined with cheesecloth. And google 'port tongs' if you are looking for a spectacle and the possibility of burning your house down.
    In with the 9.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    This.

And to reiterate, do not despair if the cork disintegrates. Just push the rest of the cork into the bottle and strain with a funnel lined with cheesecloth. And google 'port tongs' if you are looking for a spectacle and the possibility of burning your house down.
    Huh. I had NO idea about port tongs. I feel really uncultured now. Haha. Looks awesome, though. If I drank more port, I'd totally give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Porto, something sweet (sorry it does make sense)(I like a nice fruit tart that’s not too rich) and a hot tub is how I’d go.

We had a very old fonseca a few years ago for an anniversary. Our local shop was owned by a Portuguese gent who had a fierce port cellar. he sold it to a sommelier who killed it for us on the regular. She suggested that fonseca. It was real nice.

She advised letting it breathe for a few hours. The cork can tend to disintegrate so be prepared as above. Decant and strain it. There’s a good chance you’ll have lots of vine and sediment.

I would imagine an old Dow would be fantastic. Is it ruby or tawny? Not even sure they have very old tawny ports.
    It’s a vintage port
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

a vaca in portugal to visit the Douro region I can recommned
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-03-2020 at 05:28 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Blood orange gratinée goes well with port.

we used the port tongs where I worked

blue cheeses and cured meat and olives and a strawberry rhubarb tart

+1 on all of this- as a booze industry pro, I think this is the best response so far
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

I've had the good fortune to drink a fair bit of old Dow though mine has all been the '77. Stand it upright for at least 24 hours before opening, to allow the sediment to settle.

To open you want to use an old-school waiters' friend type corkscrew. Use the knife on the corkscrew to cut off the wax. Then brush away all the crumbs or wax before you pull the cork. (Some people will say to pull the cork through the wax - I wouldn't do it on such an old bottle as the wax will be very crumbly and unlikely to come away cleanly, then it will fall in to the wine). Then take care to pull the cork without breaking it; it's likely to be pretty soft.

Decant, gently, taking care to leave the sediment in the bottle. I tend to do this earlier in the day I plan to drink. You could also filter through muslin, but I find if you pour carefully it's not needed unless the cork disintegrates. Drink soon, it'll degrade after 24 hours or so.

Culturally, in the UK we drink port at the end of a meal. Typically the only food with it would be cheese, especially blue. Or it would be drunk on its own.

Manage your expectations. 70s Dow port has a rep for often being off. I heard the bottling hygiene wasn't great. Of the 1977, 2 of every 3 bottles I've opened have been bad. '77 didn't have wax seals; maybe that enclosure helps and it won't be such a problem. But the 1 in 3 that is good has been very, very good. Beware: pound for pound, vintage port gives me the worst hangovers of any alcohol. And it brings on gout in a lot of people (luckily not me, so far). I hope it's good. Report back.