DIY untested boot shell punching tool might be a good idea, might not

Worth debate, derision or whatever. I thought this might prove useful to push against a locally softened part of boot. Obviously one would need to add a convex shape to push the right contour. The original device had a long handle that I hacked off, filed a hex shape on the shaft and pressed a socket on and I think it is good to go. Will let you know how it works or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200302_100120.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	514.8 KB 
ID:	318422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200302_100313.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	684.3 KB 
ID:	318421

You gonna cut a hole in the heal of the boot to get your driver in?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A long time Jackson shoe store was closing this past Summer and I picked up a few old school shoe stretchers.

Re stretching ski boots: It’s more trouble than it’s worth. I found cutting off the pointy tip and rounding the stretcher on a big sander was the trick. Still there are other tools for the job that work better.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

I didn't think this was going to be a useful tool for pros but it *might* be useful for people who for various reasons might want to tweak their own boots

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    You gonna cut a hole in the heal of the boot to get your driver in?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Name:  ratchet handle.png
Views: 1174
Size:  66.9 KB

No drilling of boot needed. I think it goes without saying that the handle goes down vertically and attaches via socket that is perpendicular (horizontal) and hence parallel to the foot plane inside lower boot. I hope that is clear enough.

I 've used those for stretching shoes. That's a brilliant mod, there is a version with a jointed handle for stretching tall boots but it is crazy expensive. you just solved that issue.
    My memory is that there is only so much pressure that can be achieved before the internal wedge pops out of place. I hope I am wrong on that and it works or you.

At first glance, that would MAYBE stretch a liner
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    At first glance, that would MAYBE stretch a liner
    it's a work in progress tool that will punch warm plastic. Shaping some convex pieces with posts/pegs to fit into pre-existing holes in the wood is what I had in mind. The 2 wooden pieces expand a good 15mm. Before that I will shorten the wood as Skiing in Jackson mentioned above. He also correctly pointed out that there are better tools for the job. As someone without regular access to decent bootfitting I thought this could have some utility. Will experiment on some boots and see how it goes.

At the shop where I bought my boots I can get a punch for free, and there's free beer while I wait. But let me know how that thing works anyway.

The only way I'd try this would be snowed in and hours from a bootfitter. Use boiling hot water not a heat gun to soften the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    The only way I'd try this would be snowed in and hours from a bootfitter. Use boiling hot water not a heat gun to soften the plastic.
    It has been my experience in 50+ years of skiing that anyplace you are likely to use ski boots there is likely to be a boot fitter nearby. Also a lot of places you are not likely to use ski boots. Only a few offer free beer however.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    Worth debate, derision or whatever. I thought this might prove useful to push against a locally softened part of boot. Obviously one would need to add a convex shape to push the right contour. The original device had a long handle that I hacked off, filed a hex shape on the shaft and pressed a socket on and I think it is good to go. Will let you know how it works or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200302_100120.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	514.8 KB 
ID:	318422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200302_100313.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	684.3 KB 
ID:	318421
    Looks pretty good to me. I've had perfectly satisfactory results punching pu, pebax and grilamid ski touring boots with very basic and rudimentary means and methods.

Hot air gun, digi thermometer, beginner level finger/plastic heat feel

Used short screwdriver handle ends to push plastic for big and baby toe area widening. Used my own feet with layers of automotive gasket making cork strips taped to sides of feet for basic forefoot widening.

Achieved at least 10mm of movement with above means after heating plastic to the point it would visibly respond to finger pushing pressure...didn't need much pressure from the tools/methods above to get the right shape. Instant cooling/hardening achieved via snow packed ziplock bags immediately placed on stretched areas after target shape achieved.

I think yer contraption will work just fine...in fact, i wanna make one.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 03-04-2020 at 11:52 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

I've used a similar tool to this. It works, but is not very precise. If you just want to generally widen the forefoot, it will work, but for specific pressure points, use the punch tool sold by Patriot.