Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

March 2nd 1904

He wrote many of his classics because kids were not learning to read because children's books were so boring, hence "Cat in the Hat."

I know those boring books well, as they were still in use when I was in school...the Dick and Jane books as an example. Gwd were they bad. My mother subscribed me to the "Beginners Books" series, and I looked forward to each installment, especially when the Seuss editions arrived. I can honestly say my love for reading is a direct result of Dr. Seuss. My kids learned from him, and they too are avid, in fact rabid, readers.

If I see a Seuss book laying around I still will pick it up and read it, except "Green Eggs and Ham", that one I pretty much have committed to memory.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

The Doctor is awesome. Having kids reacquainted me with his books in a way I never new them as a kid. For a while my kids favorite was Fox In Sox, that's a tough read aloud.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

A great author (and illustrator? Who did the drawings?), as well as being ahead of his time on environmentalism.

Feel the same as hutash, see Dick run, run Dick run sucked.

I will have to look for an online book to read today
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

couple of my favorites from childhood (lesser known books that I rarely see on shelves anymore) The Sleep Book has great illustrations:

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I wish I had duck feet was one of my favourites as a kid.

The Lorax is a remarkable cautionary tale about consumerism and environmentalism.

I luv me sum Dr. Seuss
    watch out for snakes

When my kids were younger I'm pretty sure I could recite them Lorax, Sneetches, Horton, and Green Eggs and Ham from memory. Still close.

Genius.

My favorite, the Sneetches

Oh, the places you'll go.

Daughter had been read, and is now reading, all of his works we have available in the house and local school/library. The Doc kept it real, both in his prose and illustrations.
    And ya Beaver, she still gets a big kick out of me trying to read fox in sox.

Happy birthday Mr. Geisel, AKA Dr Seuss

Theodore Geisel was not a doctor.
    But his family owned a brewery.
    Cool dude.

If you don't like me, remember it's mind over matter.
    I don't mind, and you don't matter.

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    My favorite, the Sneetches
    Yeah, the Sneetches is awesome, and the other stories in that book are great too...the Zax, Too Many Daves, and The Pale Green Pants. The guy was brilliant.

My cousin gave me "Oh the Places You'll Go" when I graduated from uni. I loved it, what a great adult read, just like all his books. I enjoy them as much as an adult as I did as a kid.

He did his own illustrations.

His work during WW2 was pretty interesting, and little known. There is a great book of all his war time cartoons...very political, and very biting, and very appropriate in this time of Trump.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I hate to channel my inner eeyore but the guy was huge dick apparently. Cheating on his wife while she has cancer, who helped and fostered his career. She took her own life and Seuss was shacked up within the month. Tends to curb my enjoyment of his books a bit.

Name:  IMG_3325.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  23.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Apparently his wife was a bit of a nut case and he had a long term mistress who he married after his wife committed suicide. So, not so simple a case, certainly not a Cosby or Weinstein type of perve.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Apparently his wife was a bit of a nut case and he had a long term mistress who he married after his wife committed suicide. So, not so simple a case, certainly not a Cosby or Weinstein type of perve.
    More Like Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd? Minus the assasination?
    . . .

Not a perv, but like I said, cheated on his cancer stricken wife. I regard him one simple step above Gingrich and Edwards, simply because he actually brought some joy to people other than his spouse.

I entered first grade fall 1970 and we started with the 50s dick Jane and spot. loved me some suess but it was a stepping stone to this, which will forever be THE children's book for me. Remember finding it in the public library in my small rural SC hometown, later learned as a grownup the author I believe was from some island near Seattle and supposedly it's based there.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  10.1 KB
    "Can't you see..."

Maintaining a mistress that your wife is aware of is not exactly cheating. Sneaking around and shagging 20 somehings is a different situation. I am not condoning such behavior, buy if I were Married to Mary Todd, I might be making use of the Lincoln Bedroom as well.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I entered first grade fall 1970 and we started with the 50s dick Jane and spot. loved me some suess but it was a stepping stone to this, which will forever be THE children's book for me. Remember finding it in the public library in my small rural SC hometown, later learned as a grownup the author I believe was from some island near Seattle and supposedly it's based there.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  10.1 KB
    Did they allow Suess books in rural SCin rhe 70s? Doesn't sound very southern Baptist to me...none of them commie, elites allowed around these parts.

iscariot

Maintaining a mistress that your wife is aware of is not exactly cheating. Sneaking around and shagging 20 somehings is a different situation. I am not condoning such behavior, buy if I were Married to Mary Todd, I might be making use of the Lincoln Bedroom as well.

like Warren Buffett

Suess was a prolific artist

https://www.drseussart.com/

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

I kinda feel like you are excusing some shitty behavior and victim blaming because you dug this guy’s rhymes, hutash. It’s pretty well documented that she was the one who convinced him to write and animate instead of being a stodgy professor because she saw something he didn’t. When she found out he was cheating, she didn’t blow the roof off of it, or in your words “maintained a mistress that [she was] aware of,” because she didn’t want to destroy the persona he created because it would cast him in a bad light and maybe steal some magic from the kids who loved his work. Her suicide was basically selfless as you can see from her suicide note.

This isn’t my hill to die on and there are no Palmers in my family tree so I don’t have a personal stake, but the dude is a dongsocket no two ways about it and I’m pretty ok with saying that.

Did they allow Suess books in rural SCin rhe 70s? Doesn't sound very southern Baptist to me...none of them commie, elites allowed around these parts.
    What a sweeping, broad, dense, uninformed generalization attacking low hanging tropes just one post after your image of Dr. Seuss was challenged.

I like you Doc, but this one comes off as cheap and beneath you.
    I still call it The Jake.

We had much bigger problems than Dr suess in 1970. Beleive me.
    "Can't you see..."