Kingpin Brake Issues

So, supposedly, I should be able to switch from ski to walk mode, stomp down, and the brakes should retract. However, this has not been my experience. I have to hold my brake retracted with one hand and switch modes with the other if I want the brake to stay up out of the way for the uphill. It's not a huge deal, but still annoying enough to seek a solution. Also, there are times I want skins on AND brakes down until I lock my toes in. Does anyone have an idea wtf might be going on with these things?

Hand retract every time. When you stomp on them you're forcing the wire over the set screw, bound to break eventually. If you're concerned about losing a ski use leashes.

Huh. Maybe I am better off this way.

But...if I do want to be able to stomp them up out of the way for the odd it's-still-steep-here transition, should I just back that screw out a couple threads?

I have had kingpins for two seasons and I always hand retract them. I had a buddy that had a pair before I got mine and he said he used to stomp the brakes down until they stopped staying retracted. Not sure what to do if you want brakes down and toes locked.

Quote Originally Posted by The Notorious J.O.N.G. View Post
    Huh. Maybe I am better off this way.

But...if I do want to be able to stomp them up out of the way for the odd it's-still-steep-here transition, should I just back that screw out a couple threads?
    I don't know if that will work.

If you peak under there and look at how it works the forward end of the two wires create a Y. With the heel forward the screw easily protrudes through the wide part of the Y. When you slide the heel back the screw catches between the two wires where they are narrow. I think if you back the screw out it will just lower the brakes in their protracted position ie while the breaks are up, the ends will be closer to the snow.

I wouldn't stomp them period. You risk breaking them each stomp. I'd attach a leash and kick or chop out a flat enough spot you're comfortable or transition elsewhere.

I guess as an alternative, you could pack a ski or boot crampon and transition to those. Honestly if it's that hard and steep you probably want your axe or a whippet out anyways. Seems like you might be better off lashing your skis to your pack and booting until you feel safe enough to transition.

Quote Originally Posted by The Notorious J.O.N.G. View Post
    should I just back that screw out a couple threads?
    Yes. Had a pair with the same issue, backed that screw out just a touch, no more problems.