EU Recommendations: Eastern Switzerland and/or Southern Germany?

My wife and I will be in Europe for two weeks in late June, and we're looking for recommendations... we're flying into Munich, and then heading down to the Zell-am-see / Leogang area for the first five days. We then have 8-9 more days to split between another location or two before flying back out of Munich. We'll have a rental car, and I'm willing to drive a bit between locations, but I'd prefer to stay in each spot at least 3-4 nights.

Any recommendations? We're looking for natural beauty, lots of hiking and mountain biking options, and cool smaller, less touristy towns. After a little bit of research I'm leaning towards somewhere like Davos for five nights, and then up to Garmisch for the last few nights. But I'm totally open to other areas as well.

Both? They're literally next to each other...

Looks like they’re 3 hours apart... I’m really just looking for suggestions that I can look into further.

And not Italy, thanks to the current Level 3 travel restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    thanks to the current Level 3 travel restriction.
    I suspect Germany isn't far behind.

Hindelang, Germany = This is the Allgaü region which is so nice with great mountain biking. Check out Lindau (The Bodensee). Between Munich and Zell am See stop buy in Berwang, Austria. (It goes Garmisch - Lermoos - Berwang). In Switzerland but close to Germany, I'd visit Appenzell, Bergenstock and Grindelwald.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The town of Davos is not particularly charming even though the surrounding mountains are impressive; Klosters is a little more so, but this place r00lz: http://wynegg.ch/en/ , Super good food, cool old building that's been recently refurbished by a group that does profit and tips sharing with their staff. The manager's name is Cedric.

Heading North out of Klosters, upa side road with bus service to Kublis on the train line, there's a beautiful little town that's a center of hiking and ski touring called Sankt Antonien:
    :

Main street, Hotel Rhaetia, clock tower with date of 1492.

The drive from Goeschenen over the Oberalp Pass to Disentis is spectacular as well. Out of Goeschenen, there's https://www.gasthaus-goescheneralp.ch/, up a beautiful windy road from Goeschenen, there's nice accomodations in Andermatt and then of course, just over the Oberalp pass, headwaters of the Rhine, there's venduls place https://www.mt-lodge.com/ where he can hook you up with hiking and biking activities like the Lai de Nalps (Tgoms) seilbahn.

Another place we liked was Bad Gastein, South of Salzburg. There's 2 main hot springs and it's an old, old spa/vacation spot. Lots of the ski lifts run in summer making easier access to the famers huts and ridge hikes. We spent mornings hiking to a hut, eat the local cheese and charcuterie, back down to town for a soak, then lazy dinners.

A nice hotel, away from the main road is https://www.hotelechobadgastein.com/ . The owners name is Henriikka Laakso. Be sure to eat or at least have a beer at the Hexenhausl.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 02-29-2020 at 03:18 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah wouldn’t base out of Davos.

I’m biased but prefer Graubunden. Hike up Piz Beverin. On a warm day, but early to avoid the bus tourists, hike the Via Mala. Church in Sils/Zillis has amazing painted ceiling. Mtn bike in Lenzerheide. Lots of cool Romansch villages like Berguns etc. Stay a night in Pontresina, hike the valley toward Piz Bernina...

Feel free to PM

So many options to choose from... I guess it’s just a matter of finding a town that’s quiet “enough”, but still has decent food options and access to everything we like to do. Looks like the Graubunden area could be close to the sweet spot.

Buster, I remember your post about Bad Gastein in another thread in the past, so that’s on the list when we stay in the Zell-am-see area.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

So many options to choose from... I guess it’s just a matter of finding a town that’s quiet “enough”, but still has decent food options and access to everything we like to do. Looks like the Graubunden area could be close to the sweet spot.
    Klosters: Wynegg Hotel is a serious gourmando experience and Klosters is quiet relative to Davos proper. Two different towns.

Around Pontresina, we had a great lunch here on a big day in the Engadin: https://www.roseg-gletscher.ch/en/ . It's at least 20 minutes drive from St. Moritz proper, so quiet, but access to the glitz.

The drive from Rueras over the Julier Pass was spectacular. There's lots of little inns along the way and the town of Bivio. vendul knows this area well and his brother runs a place in St. Moritz.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 03-01-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The town of Davos is not particularly charming even though the surrounding mountains are impressive; Klosters is a little more so, but this place r00lz: http://wynegg.ch/en/ , Super good food, cool old building that's been recently refurbished by a group that does profit and tips sharing with their staff. The manager's name is Cedric.

Heading North out of Klosters, upa side road with bus service to Kublis on the train line, there's a beautiful little town that's a center of hiking and ski touring called Sankt Antonien:
    :

Main street, Hotel Rhaetia, clock tower with date of 1492.

The drive from Goeschenen over the Oberalp Pass to Disentis is spectacular as well. Out of Goeschenen, there's https://www.gasthaus-goescheneralp.ch/, up a beautiful windy road from Goeschenen, there's nice accomodations in Andermatt and then of course, just over the Oberalp pass, headwaters of the Rhine, there's venduls place https://www.mt-lodge.com/ where he can hook you up with hiking and biking activities like the Lai de Nalps (Tgoms) seilbahn.

Another place we liked was Bad Gastein, South of Salzburg. There's 2 main hot springs and it's an old, old spa/vacation spot. Lots of the ski lifts run in summer making easier access to the famers huts and ridge hikes. We spent mornings hiking to a hut, eat the local cheese and charcuterie, back down to town for a soak, then lazy dinners.

A nice hotel, away from the main road is https://www.hotelechobadgastein.com/ . The owners name is Henriikka Laakso. Be sure to eat or at least have a beer at the Hexenhausl.
    A place called Bad Gas-tein filled with cheese and meat products eh?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    A place called Bad Gas-tein filled with cheese and meat products eh?
    The Hexenhausl specializes in goulash with deer, boar and beef variations. Each order is MASSIVE and can easily feed 2.

The place is filled with these, part of the Krampus traditions:

Davos and Garmisch don't really meet your criteria for smaller, less touristy towns. My suggestion would be for Unterengadin in Eastern Switzerland (stay in Scuol): scenic, good biking and hiking. With a car you'll be able to explore the area pretty well as there are lots of nice places to visit and check out.
    Instead of Southern Germany, you could stay just over the border in Austria. The Fern Pass area (between Innsbruck and Fuessen, DE) would be worth exploring. Beautiful region and not far from Garmisch if you wanted to spend an afternoon over there.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Hindelang, Germany = This is the Allgaü region which is so nice with great mountain biking. Check out Lindau (The Bodensee). Between Munich and Zell am See stop buy in Berwang, Austria. (It goes Garmisch - Lermoos - Berwang). In Switzerland but close to Germany, I'd visit Appenzell, Bergenstock and Grindelwald.
    Just saw this. 2nd vote for Lermoos-Bergwang in the Fern Pass area.

I would go to germany just because it's cheaper. Switzerland is stupid expensive.

Go to Lichtenstein. Then report back and tell us what it's like.

R U planning to Ski in Zell-em-Zee?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post

It's pretty much just another Swiss Canton. Nothing really remarkable about Liechtenstein. Good place to stop and buy an Austrian Autobahn vignette.

We’re going in mid-June.

We’re going in mid-June.
    They have a Glacier there. You can ski all summer. At least that's how it used to be.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Cool hike from king Ludwig's castle...also awesome spa in the valley just below his castle.

Park your rental car here and troll bimmerfest forum:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7985.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	318477
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

They have a Glacier there. You can ski all summer. At least that's how it used to be.
    I have skied on the Kitzsteinhorn in early June a couple of times. It's not too far from Zell Am See, 7 or 8 miles or so. It is a glacier, so not particularly gnarly skiing, but picturesque.
    More cowbell!!!

Someone above mentioned Bad Hindelang. I really like the Allgau region and specifically the Kleinwalsertal. Keep going past Oberstdorf and it's a small slice of Austria only accessible by road from Germany.
    It's touristy, but Oberammergau is another cool side trip to/from Garmisch. But I think the every-10-years passion play will be happening this summer, so it will be a zoo.