Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    SFB's thermos of tea with thc infused honey will revive your soul and put yer dick in the dirt. Big Sky smokeshack approved
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Dooley View Post
    You guys get any turns in between courses? Couple of cookies, a snickers, jerky, leftover pizza if I’m livin large.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Truth

Green tea and sushi.

Italian sub sandwich. Leave off the oil and vinegar and just carry a small packet to add at lunch...much cleaner. While I apprciate the euro style lunch, this has all that with out the hassle of cutting it up. Plus I add lots of pepperocinis. Might as well get some fiber.

On cold tours add a thermos of hot sweet tea. Hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps is not a wrong thin to bring.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

day tour lunch ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    While I apprciate the euro style lunch, this has all that with out the hassle of cutting it up
    My head is in this space too; there’s got to be an efficiency to it. Bringing a fancy spread with lots of parts is too clunky/messy.

Lots of good ideas in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Can't go wrong with euro style hunk of dried meat, block of cheese, half a baguette, and some fresh fruit. Half a bota bag of wine and a Swiss army knife for extra credit.
    FIFY (That's exactly the lunch I was going to suggest, minus the wine as I can't stay upright on skis with any alcohol in my system.)

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    My head is in this space too; there’s got to be an efficiency to it. Bringing a fancy spread with lots of parts is too clunky/messy.

Lots of good ideas in this thread
    You might be surprised to find out that you can pre-cut the meat and cheese and bread, but that is pretty uncivilized.

[head explodes]

Hell, I’m really going to blow your minds, you can even buy meats and cheeses pre-cut.
    Who knew?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hell, I’m really going to blow your minds, you can even buy meats and cheeses pre-cut.
    Who knew?
    But then you don't get the joy of using your Opinel Garden Knife out in the field for slicing chucks of said meats, cheeses, apples, etc... no substitute for the hand curated custom cuts, really. It's about the experience or you'd be waiting in line to ride a chairlift.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	370.8 KB 
ID:	318162  

I prefer to field dress an elk, and make backstrap tartare.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Pine trees...did you know many parts are edible?

Or, you can just take Grape Nuts.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

When I first embarked upon these winter pursuits, one day I climbed to a saddle with @Ernest_Hemingway. We paused to rip skins and restore our energies. I produced my typical backpacker's lunch of vac-packed string cheese, salami, and a modest California cabernet in a plastic flask. Ernest kindly, but firmly, pointed out that one tours in colder weather than a summer trip, and it is possible to bring a hearty lunch that eschews the pre-packaging and preservatives. He was carrying a good chunk of Manchego, morcilla (Spanish blood sausage, it freaks out the Amis but is really quite tasty), and a wine skin of Rioja. He didn't have to point out that a wine skin is infinitely preferable to a barbarous wine Nalgene.

When in France or Schweiz and in need of a treat, paté and a cheese such as Morbier or Raclette (too soft for summer, but in winter, just smelly enough to attract an avalanche dog without rendering one's backpack permanently stunk out for bear country) can be paired with a nice Sauternes. As long as one remembers that a gentleman does not pontificate about wine on the skin-track, for even the humblest wine is superior to no wine at all in cases of emergency.

I learned much during my apprenticeship. The value of a good mentor in this business cannot be over-stated. And should you ever visit Granada, may I recommend trying a tortilla de morcilla, it does wonders for a hangover.

I learned a lot about women from calls to slap the bag.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I suggest you to take green tea and the sandwiches.A pack of cold drinks if there is too much hot.

Pork rinds and beer
    watch out for snakes

As a kid it always baffled me why a soldier in the Swiss Army would need a corkscrew. I deduced that they must have some life-sustaining substance like emergency water rations in big corked bottles. It still didn't add up, because in an emergency couldn't you just push the cork into the bottle? I eventually became distracted by Rambo-style survival knifes that could be used to murder your adversaries, saw down a small tree, and hold a pack of waterproof matches, now that's some straight up military grade utility.

Jump forward 15 years and I'm sitting on a pickanick table on the sunny south shoulder of Mont Fort. My date breaks out a delicious hunk of dried beef, a block of gruyere, an apple, and rips off a piece of the baguette as she's obviously ravished. She looks at me and her eyes are screaming the gringo forgot his knife. Luckily I have my BC gear in the pack as I had no idea what the day was going to turn into, and yes, there's a multi-tool with a knife. With a big smile I grab my leatherman and start dicing up the apple. She looks pleased, different but useful. Just then a frenchie swoops in with a bottle of Fendant and his cheesie (pun intended) swiss army knife. The wheels start turning... these fuckers sit inside those ridiculous bomb shelters and get drunk on white wine while whiddling away at a chunk of cheese for two weeks a year! Perhaps they were in front of their time? War these days looks a lot more like Swiss detente than Rambo. I think with a little training I could fly a drone while sipping on a nice California Cab.

BTW, did I leave chocolate out of my original post? Fucking gringos.

just keep it simple PBJ

Strong work with the Ernest post, but I miss Papa himself.

As for pushing in the cork, sure it works in a pinch, but it's like using a baggie for a condom, functional, but not satisfying.

iscariot

Put me down for the dried desert fruit, prepared meat, cheese and filled bota bag group. If the sled is a part of the tour, then the hotbox strapped to the can is a real bonus with re-heated fried chicken, pizza, or sausage. A thermos of hot green tea and honey is also always in the pack.

Chocolate!!!

Croque Monsieur or GTFO.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Name:  Image1608441490.977084.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  139.7 KB
    Requires a quick boil stove. For cocktails I like the snow pour over margarita.

Leftover Pizza w/ lots of sausage, mushrooms, olives, and congealed pizza grease.

Alternatively, I'll make a dry sandwich with sourdough, cheddar, and turkey. Bring mayo packet on the side.

Whatever it is, it needs to be something quick and easy enough to eat standing up. Sitting down to lunch mid-tour is a great way for lunch to mark the end of the tour. Cold, stiff, and with a belly full of motivation-robbing calories is no way to start an afternoon.

Also, booze and herb wait until we're back home for the day.