Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    If you have high quality knives and you use, store, and steel them properly, you rarely have have to sharpen them. Even so, professional sharpening is pretty cheap. I don’t see the reason to buy an expensive electric sharpener.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    If you have high quality knives and you use, store, and steel them properly, you rarely have have to sharpen them. Even so, professional sharpening is pretty cheap. I don’t see the reason to buy an expensive electric sharpener.

Unless as I stated in the opening I A) am not close to a professional sharpener (the one person locally who I went to made my knifes worse not better) and B) thinking my wife is going to store and steel the knifes properly just ain’t happening.
    So while you see no reason, I unfortunately have reasons.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The newer Chef's Choice Trizor is supposed to be tits though:

Just pulled the trigger on one of these, I trust all things Iceman - except for maybe your balance when fishing the Green River.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

haha - I didn't spill my beer though! Fell in the fucking river but didn't spill a drop.

Best thing about tenkara fishing is you can land a fish without having to set your beer down
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

haha - I didn't spill my beer though! Fell in the fucking river but didn't spill a drop.
    Its important to have priorities.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Chefs choice.

It will rescue knives even after your wife puts them in the dishwasher every day

I do all my knives once a year. Do you really have time to steel every steak knife

I have two friends that borrow it about once a year.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Its important to have priorities.
    well the river was like 2 feet deep and it was more of a slip but I did get wet. And no spillage.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ive got a lansky hand system with 4 stones if I start coarse and spend an 1/2 hour on using all stones on it does a good job
    but it doesn't do nearly as well if I try and just touch up or start with fine stone
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    this is the one that's the closest to what the pros use without spending the dough on their gear, and has great reviews. I covet one but haven't pulled the trigger.

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Kn...s%2C211&sr=1-4
    This. The original one, which is only $63, works very well on knives. If you don't have the patience for a series of water stones, the Work Sharp is the way to go. The convex edge it leaves is both sharp and durable.

There is a learning curve. The main thing is that you really must start and stop it each pass or it will eat the tip.

Also, for kitchen knives, regular proper steel use will obviate the need to sharpen (remove metal) very often at all.

The Chefs Choice style ones do get knives fairly sharp, but they take off a lot of metal and the edge they leave isn't very durable. They are fast and nearly idiot proof though.

For your imaginings: I just visited a couple, both doctors, who refuse to use cutting boards. They just cut directly onto their quartz countertops with their, get this, super high end Japanese knife set. It was painful to see but I had to just walk away.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

well the river was like 2 feet deep and it was more of a slip but I did get wet. And no spillage.
    The no spillage was most impressive.

this is the one that's the closest to what the pros use without spending the dough on their gear, and has great reviews. I covet one but haven't pulled the trigger.

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Kn...s%2C211&sr=1-4
    Bought this tool and sharpened the fleet today. Holy shit these knives are sharp. Thanks for the recc

I like my Trizor XV.

I have a Chef's Choice, one of the older cheaper ones, it works fine, I like it, but I hardly ever use it, I use a Henckels diamond steel that works great. I wouldn't want to have to bring a seriously dull knofe back with the steel, it might not even work, but for keeping knives sharp it's perfect for me: https://www.cutleryandmore.com/henck...SAAEgITmfD_BwE

The newer Chef's Choice Trizor is supposed to be tits though:

There's a sharpener in the video?

Japanese water stone. Takes a bit of time time get good at it, but it sure works well.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Bought this tool and sharpened the fleet today. Holy shit these knives are sharp. Thanks for the recc
    Further thoughts, review, and detail on its utility, ease of use, idiot proof-ness etc. would be welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    There's a sharpener in the video?
    I have one of those (the sharpener ) picked up in a thrift store. I only use it on my shittiest stainless knives. It's a blade butcher.

Unless you are sharpening hundreds of edged tools/weapons a day there is no need for any machine.
    watch out for snakes

Don't you guys have wives/gf to cook for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Gotta have a sharp knife for ‘cue. And ‘cue is a man’s job.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Let them do the dishes. I'm always the one cooking. It's pure therapy.

I have one of those (the sharpener ) picked up in a thrift store. I only use it on my shittiest stainless knives. It's a blade butcher.
    I use it on some wooden handled Forschner stainless steel from the late 80s. Love it. Those knives were designed for commercial kitchen abuse where a knife guy came around every two weeks and ground the shit out of them.

I’ve been using and loving this Worksharp tool for years now:
    https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/...ool-sharpener/
    I use it a couple of times per year to get every knife in the house as sharp as any professional.
    I also use the tool grinding attachment:
    https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/...ool-sharpener/
    weekly to sharpen all my trail building tools. There’s nothing easier. Same with axes, lawnmower blades etc. As a mini sander/grinder, it also comes in handy for all sorts of repairs and gear modification projects. I’m coming across as a salesman, but this is one of my favourite and most versatile tools.

Nope. Which is fine.