Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    There's a local mountain biking Facebook group that is an absolute dumpster fire.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Says guy who doesn't use FB: how would FB know if you use a fake name? Don't people set up accounts for their cat or dog? Surely you could pretend to be one of those. Or an ass.... that would be very fitting for a lot of people.
    I dunno because they won't even let me sign up with my real name! Last month I tried signing up for FB after having been off of it for over a decade. I only wanted to use it for the local marketplace so I could sell some crap I have around the house. I wanted to use a different e-mail address so I could start over from scratch. After going through all the rigamarole to sign up, they said I couldn't access the account and it was "under review." After a couple weeks, they said my new account was removed but wouldn't tell me why. Said I had to provide government ID to prove my identity. No freaking way! So step two was try to use an account my wife had setup for my old business and would just rename it to me. Been a year or so since I used it but when I tried to log on, same thing. They said my account had been banned or something. Same result, they wanted me to give them my ID. Seems like they've become REALLY strict. Guess I'll never use FB again. They don't have ANY semblance of customer support either. They mine all your data whether or not you're even a user, yet give you zero power over anything as a person and can ban people from the platform willy nilly. Screw those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    My parents are religious about these things having grown up there, so I get how people are about em, but this is kinda amazing to exist.

For the record, they are Bill and Bob's people, but if you get my Dad alone it's Kelly's all day.
    I've had plenty of Kelly's and apparently they're the spiritual home of the North Shore sandwich, so I guess I'm in. I've visited the North Shore briefly the last two summers, I could've been on a mission of discovery, but nope.

A primer: https://www.edibleboston.com/blog/20...ientific-study

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Just considering whether I need to re-up my membership in the Atlanta Ski Club
    Wait, what?

Are there meetings and everything?
    I still call it The Jake.

It's not going to be for everyone, but IMO it solves a lot of the current social media issues; no bots, transparent algos, monetary gains going to users. They have some heavy hitters behind the scenes, and just poached the head of Forbes digital media to be the CEO. Word is they also have a budget to bring over influencers with budget in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

voice.com

https://www.wired.com/story/social-n...rypto-do-good/

Beta just started 2 weeks ago and activity is really starting to pick up. It's premised on being able to boost content up the feeds by spending some of your Voice tokens. If someone outbids you, you get back your OG amount +33%. OG poster gets 33% of total amount at end of bidding period. Winning bid can then post their own content at top of popular posts or sell to advertisers. There's more to it, but those are the basics.

Full disclaimer, I'm invested in the EOS cryptocurrency that runs on the EOSIO software created by Block.one who created voice.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stalefish3169; 02-28-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Man for me it wasn’t so much family as work....
    About a decade ago a coworker was fired for facebook comments. Big company, lots of departments, multiple locations, different unions, a seemingly uncountable number of "managers" and all of the petty office politics that entails. Some of the worker bees formed facebook groups specific to their job descriptions, mostly to discuss non-work related stuff, but inevitably shop talk always wins.

So a guy has a bad day. He's been having problems with his mid-level boss. So he posts something along the lines of 'that guy needs an ass-kicking' or 'I wish he'd DIAGF'.

The next time the guy shows up for a shift his boss's boss is waiting for him. Takes him back to the office where hr, legal and corp security have amassed for a good old fashioned shit-canning. They explain to him that posting specific information about the company and its employees is verboten per the employment contract he signed, and the collective agreement, as well as the legality of uttering threats.

Don't facebook.

Remember the pre-forum days of email lists? Somewhere back in the mid/late 90s, I used to be on a Jeep one called Jeep-L.

There were a bunch of usenet lists -- alt.rec.whatever -- I wonder if any of those are still going.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    <snip>
    There were a bunch of usenet lists -- alt.rec.whatever -- I wonder if any of those are still going.
    Yup - those refuse to die: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!overview

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's a local mountain biking Facebook group that is an absolute dumpster fire.
    Is the crest dry yet? All the snow in my backyard is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Is the crest dry yet? All the snow in my backyard is gone!
    We have a similar Front Range Dumpster Fire... it's barely worth the amusement. People asking "what's dry?" and "why can't we get a bunch of bike-only directional trails?" every day.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    We have a similar Front Range Dumpster Fire... it's barely worth the amusement. People asking "what's dry?" and "why can't we get a bunch of bike-only directional trails?" every day.
    heh, they should rename that group to 303 Dumpster Fire.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Typically with 6 or 7 posts asking the exact same question back to back and rarely a snarky comment calling it out. Instead people patiently repeat themselves while I make a mental list of who I want to run off the trail next chance I get...

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    [Short version: FB groups fucking suck, are a waste of time, and are not even close to being a legitimate replacement for forums]
    QFT

Well, rontele does seem to be gone and there’s no one to answer his PMs...so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker

Don't facebook.
    Werd.
    It’s just a photo album and an address book to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Well, rontele does seem to be gone and there’s no one to answer his PMs...so...

That’s weird, he answers mine every time.

So you’re tacitly admitting you’re a JONG that PMs rontele?

Rontele always tells me If you’re going to admit, admit tacitly.

Does Facebook have tags?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Right? If we’re circling the drain here why not bring back the tags?
    I still call it The Jake.