Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    interesting, based on the reviews online i thought Smartwool was better than Icebreaker.
    I'd like to try Icebreaker or also Ortovox and Odlo, which over here are more popular than in USA.

Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I must have 6 or 7 brands of merino and its all full of holes, my latest Ibex T has a hole right up inbetween my shoulder blades how the fuck did that ever get there ?
    ?
    Aquaseal?
    Smartwool mostly fragile garbage.
    use Woolpower for inner/insulation layers and Ortovox for outer layers; no problems here
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Mons royale. I have already 6 garments. Only one has a strange hole, others are totally fine. Quality is top notch.

I use nikwash merino wash and hang dry. Layers last many years before getting holes. I find them on sale to backfill. I have 150, 200, 250 and 400 weight

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This. I had a pretty long email exchange with the new guy running the place. He’s trying to fix the problems Ibex had that made them go out of biz. I was telling him that they needed more transparency, and he gave examples of how they were indeed transparent with what happened, (and yet here on TGR nobody knows). I told him, “yeah sure”.

https://ibex.com/pages/our-story

Nothing there to say it’s a reformed or new or whatever company. Between Mrs. Plug and I we must have 20 pieces of old Ibex.
    I’m going to email and tell him the same thing. I have been a customer of the original ibex since mid 90s and it’s certainly difficult to watch the company close up shop- announcement and all, only to resurface months later with no explanation of circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
    any brand you recommend that doesn't stink?
    Capilene is the only Patagonia product worth the money IMO. I've heard good things about Kuhl synthetics but yet to try them.

I wear wool in the winter and synthetics on the river. Don't think anything is warm when wet, but at least synthetics absorb less water if you take a swim.

Had good luck with both Smartwool and Icebreaker. Don't find it to be as fragile as stated here, but you certainly can't dry it or wash it in hot water. Bought a couple of Wooly shirts this season and they're holding up pretty well for the $.

For the sake of discussion, I think it’d be useful to share how long you’ve had and been wearing your wool clothes.

merino 250/heavy merino for skiing

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post

Had good luck with both Smartwool and Icebreaker. Don't find it to be as fragile as stated here, but you certainly can't dry it or wash it in hot water. ...
    Maybe that's it. I have base layers that I've used for years. The ones that I wear while bushwhacking, yeah, lots of holes, totally understandable. The base layers for cold weather that I wear under a shell, pants, etc, no problem, no holes. But I wash them in cool water and always air dry.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    For the sake of discussion, I think it’d be useful to share how long you’ve had and been wearing your wool clothes.
    My Icebreaker 260 bottoms are the ones that see most wear, I've had those for about five years, at least. I have several Icebreaker 200 tops. Some of them I've had for about five years, others are newer, the newest one is one year old.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimpla_rufipes

This a moth killer!

If your underwear has strange wholes. Time to order some over a 3month period with every 2 week 4 puches layed out in your wardrobe. It works and no chemicals involved. It is available online or via your closeesd growshop.

Sent from ullr with love!

I have lots of Merino wool stuff (smart wool, rei, noname) that I've had for many years with no holes... I think something is infesting your closet/ski bag

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I wear wool as my baselayer summer and winter. Winter various thicknesses. My Icebreaker stuff has lasted well,5+ winters. Summer, Icebreaker cool Max t or whatever they call it now, but they're lightest weight t shirt. It's worn under a long sleeve work shirt, with a pack. The shirts have held up incredibly well considering I wear it for 12+ hours a day 100ish days a year running a chain saw and moving brush. In the winter I use it as my touring baselayer most of the time, another fifty or so days. My current shirts have two full summers and two full winter's on them, still no large holes but wearing thin in the shoulders. I have two I switch between. Icebreaker underwear too, thin stuff, I wear it every day, last a couple years. The most important things are wash with cool water on delicate or wool, don't use heat to dry, and don't pull on it taking it off when it's wet.

Obviously, I really like wool. Take care of it when you're removing and washing, and don't worry about it when it's being worn has worked for me

I have wool layers that are going on 20 years. Hand wash in Woolite and hang to dry on a drying rack.

Some for 5-10 years Wool wash in delicate and hang dry. Best layers IMO

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

for me it's some combination of 200weight tops and bottoms, mostly icebreaker. Most days in winter working or playing, I wear a long sleeve shirt, followed by a short sleeve, then a stanfield henley. Unless it is below -10C, a stiff breeze, or heavy precip, no shell or windbreaker. Bottoms as needed under a softshell or work pants. For real heavy exertion I'll swap the second t-shirt with a synthetic 'dry-wear' style t-shirt to wick the moisture away from the next-to-skin layers.

I have one set of merino shirts going on 8yrs, just starting to fray at the cuffs. I don't wash my wool often, usually not before at least a full week of wear. It goes on gentle cycle with a mild detergent double rinse, and hung to dry. If the item is heavily soiled or smelling too much of 2-stroke fumes, then I give it a soak for a couple hours before the wash. works for me, and saves me from my old polypro that after 10min of sweat reeks something awful, even to me. Also the wool is a bit of piece of mind when in the helicopter or working around flame.

I wear my 3 Pendleton shirts pretty much weekly, and have done so for about 5 years now. In the office, on the MTB trail, and as a layer when skiing. Ive only washed them when theyve gotten muddy as they just dont ever stink. hang dry and warm iron so i can pull them off in the office.

I sweat a lot typically so i like to have a synthetic as my next to skin layer. But if i am not going to be working hard and/or the Apre is important to me (AKA when i go on ski trips with family or to other countries) ill wear a Trew Nuyarn shirt as my next to skin layer under the pendleton shirts. Sure cuts down on packing too when your baselayers dont get stinky and double as "nice" dinner/town clothes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2138.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	318418
    Man, how many wool things do I have? For how long?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Yeah a hole worn in the cuff of a long sleeve I wore only to art opennings where they served free wine or to the bar and there were hardly any art fights. It wasnt moths it was a watch band so gimme a break I've had enough of this stuff to know its not moths its its that wool just can't stand up, in any case buy wool if you want, I'll buy plastic or the wool T's ... cheapest and less places for the holes to develop
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Some for 5-10 years Wool wash in delicate and hang dry. Best layers IMO

My oldest smartwool base layer (bottoms) are over 15 years old. Lots of holes at this point.

I barely get 2 seasons out of Icebreaker merino bottoms. 200 or 260 both wear though the crotch mid-season on year two.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 03-02-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Either you ^^ are hung like a clysdale or crotch stank is attracting the moths eh ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I don't put as many miles on my clothes as some of you. I like thin wool t-shirts and baselayers (and wool socks of course), sometimes they get a few holes if used hard or pulled off too vigorously, but the main thing I need to use those wool baselayers for is trips.

If I'm going somewhere for 5 days or more, can pack a limited bag (especially if I need to save space for gear), and my only access to rinsing out my clothes is gonna be a hotel bathroom or a stream, wool can really help manage the stink factor.