Thread: Kastle MX 98 188cm STH14 350.00

Kastle MX 98 188cm STH14 350.00

Hey Gang,
    A quick catch and release here. Was looking to see if I could unseat my Wren 108's as my daily driver. While the Kastles came close, the Wrens defended the title. So alas, they are up for sale again.

I will insert pictures but they can also be found in Pfluffenmeister's original sale. I am hoping to get close to my initial investment back of 360.00. Just got these professionally tuned so price is 400

126-98-116
    One mount for STH 315mm (was able to adjust to 327 and the STH should go as low 310ish)
    One small base repair (no core damage, not near an edge).
    Griffon Post Pro Model.
    Last year of MX series, precursor to BMX line?
    Serious ski but easier to ski than previous iterations.
    Rewarding, do it all ski.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...88-Other-Stuff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mx98.png 
Views:	304 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	317607

Name:	mx981.png 
Views:	309 
Size:	357.7 KB 
ID:	317608

Name:	mx982.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	317609

Name:	IMG_8561.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	317915

Name:	IMG_8562.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	317916
    Last edited by Kootenai; 02-29-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Can someone talk to me about this ski vs the 184 mx98, (latest gen before they died, with the solid red x)?

How about bonafide? Monster 98?

is this basically a mid-sized version (between the 184 and 194) of the previous gen, burlier ski, with a rounded tail that releases easier? Any difference in contact points or rocker in the tail?

I'd imagine that a 184 mx 98 (latest gen) that was 15% burlier with a 15% more releasable tail and 4cm longer might be amazing. Never been on a pair of MXs from that generation though.

Ham sandwich.

This ski is not nearly as burly as the 184 MX98. I think that it is softer....not really the same ski as the square tail. Not sure whether there are two sheets of metal or not in the 188, but if there are, they are thinner than that found in the 184. Search, ask pfluffenmeister. I think that he has owned both
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

All valid questions. From my research, the Griffin Post Pro Model of the MX 98 features a 0.5 titanal layer at the base and a 0.5 titanal layer at the topsheet. I have included pictures of the tail and tip splay. This was the beginning of the more all mountain pow ski and not yet the BMX line. Differences between two may be best discussed by Pfluffenmeister (who used this very model as his daily driver) or Schindler (who seems to know a thing or two about Kastle). But what I have gleaned on paper and from my comparison with my beloved MX88 (which, I realize is an oranges to tangerines comparison) is such:

These skis are 126-98-116 and 27.5 turn radius Vs. MX 98 square tails 132-98-117 and 27 turn radius.

These skis while having the titanal (as mentioned) seem to have one layer only through the midsection/ binding region a few inches beyond the toe and heel of the binding (visual from the sidewall topsheet). The base titanal layer is not visible. Vs. MX88 Full topsheet metal (base layer not visible).

Ski feel (again not really that fair of a comparison): I really wanted to have an MX88 (square tail) with a wider waist. The 88's (square tail) GS, slarve, and have super pretty rounded turns for hip swiveling. You have to find the sweet spot for the rounded turns and I think that is partially the square tail locking you in to a full turn. VS. MX98 round tails GS, Slarve, but not as easy to get that rounded turn feeling on piste, the sweet spot is more elusive? (rounded turn off piste for sure).
    These MX98 round tails seem to show a slight early rise as compared to the Square tails (see added pics).

Both have the bomber ash / fir makeup and will likely outlive us.

If I didn't have Wren 108's I would keep these. Overall, I believe these are a softer, easier releasing all mountain slayer that has more capabilities than the 88 for soft snow/ chalk/ buff. On paper the square tails are likely more locked in on a turn and harder to release/ roundtails are likely more forgiving. These are big mountain rippers, google Griffin Post videos to see their capabilities.....

These are great skis and were my daily drivers for many years.
    Always thought these would be my forever skis but preferred the on-piste performance of the square tails that I lucked into finding.
    I have a big quiver and the squaretails were more what I wanted (even though I didn't know it).
    The 188 roundtails have contact points moved closer to foot and while still demanding are easier to ski overall.
    Roundtails are easier to change turn shape in soft snow and ski everything well.
    Like to be driven.

If in doubt I say do it: one mount, difficult to find ski with lots of life left.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Thank you for the detailed responses. Haven't been in GS much since shit got real at work. Still mulling this, heavily. Free bump for someone else to beat me to the punch.

offer up!

Great ski, sure to make someone happy!

For reference, the FX94 has 0.5mm metal sheets. A fun ski but definitely not a heavy charger. This MX98 probably has more glass than the FX.