Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Random questions looking for answers

1. When the skeeters come out this summer can they spread the coronavirus?

2. If you're driving along in a pushbutton to start car and you throw the fob out the window, what happens to the car? Does it stop? or keep going?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

2. It bongs uncontrollably at you until you stop and you can't start it up again after you stopped it until you find another.

So a friend told me.
    I still call it The Jake.

Thanks BMills. My wife asked me but I had no idea. Apparently her friend got in an argument with the boyfriend and she threatened to throw the fob out of the car for some reason. I didn't want to try it with my own key as it's expensive to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    . I didn't want to try it with my own key as it's expensive to replace.
    I can attest to this.

Just step out of the car while it's running and take a few steps away. I can't even walk to back to the tailgate of my truck without setting it off. Which is a good thing as I've been known to set things down on the bumper or bed rails and forget them before I drive away. Would suck to set the key fob there, drive away and have it fall off somewhere without warning.

Now try setting the wife on the tailgate and driving away to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Just step out of the car while it's running and take a few steps away. I can't even walk to back to the tailgate of my truck without setting it off. Which is a good thing as I've been known to set things down on the bumper or bed rails and forget them before I drive away. Would suck to set the key fob there, drive away and have it fall off somewhere without warning.
    Noted. Her question was more along the lines of what would happen at like 50 mph.

Noted. Her question was more along the lines of what would happen at like 50 mph.
    It locks the brakes and swerves and instantly kills everyone in the vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I dunno why you just reminded me of this with that but I recall there was a dude on TGR whose gf was so small that the ABS system in the passenger seat was disabled when she sat in it, or the seatbelt was tall for her and cut across her neck, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It locks the brakes and swerves and instantly kills everyone in the vehicle
    So its a valid threat if you're trying to win an argument about something?

Anybody have an idea on the mosquito question? Or do I need to PM Summit?

1. When the skeeters come out this summer can they spread the coronavirus?
    No, coronaviruses cannot be spread by mosquitos.

Just Dengue, Chikungunya, Zika, West Nile, Yellow Fever, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, WEEV, Malaria, Filaria, and a few more for good measure.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Phew. Thanks Mofro.

The car will continue to drive even though the fob is removed when running
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    reminds me of the old joke, if you put your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car and come back in an hour, which one will be glad to see you?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    The car will continue to drive even though the fob is removed when running

But will it ever take off the treadmill?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    reminds me of the old joke, if you put your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car and come back in an hour, which one will be glad to see you?
    What's the old adage? A bit of truth makes the joke?

I dunno why you just reminded me of this with that but I recall there was a dude on TGR whose gf was so small that the ABS system in the passenger seat was disabled when she sat in it, or the seatbelt was tall for her and cut across her neck, or something?

So its a valid threat if you're trying to win an argument about something?

Anybody have an idea on the mosquito question? Or do I need to PM Summit?
    Rontele. You pm rontele always. He's the resident entomologist.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Rontele. You pm rontele always. He's the resident entomologist.

Goddamn it. Now I'm confused. I thought there had been a movement to redirect all bug related PMs to DSM?

We've got a car with a key fob you need to have in it to start it. Driving back from a Moab trip we realize, at a gas station, that we can't find the damn key. Hours from Moab, hours from home. Car will drive fine without the key if you turn it on and then take the key out of it, but if you turn it off you can't start it again. Frantically ripped the car apart trying to find it before we turn the car off for gas and the car becomes an immovable sculpture.

There was a slight bit of panic, I'll admit, before we found the key. The easy way to tell if you have the key is to turn the car off and try to turn it back on. If you can, you have the key. if you can't, well then you're fucked.

Luckily, we PM'd Rontele and he knew where to look. Genius. Found the key, got the gas, got home, learned a damn lesson.

Well, where was the damn key???
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Well, where was the damn key???
    Deep in a mountainsmith cube filled with clothes. Nobody noticed cause the car turned on (since the cube was in the car.)

It took a LONG time to find the damn thing. Not the best of times.

Seems like they should be able to charge your credit card immediately for a new fob, alert law enforcement, and auto-pilot that fucker to the dealer to get a new fob. Then also have a white person in a polo from a high tech office barge in on speakerphone “mr Smith, we’ve noticed that you have operated your vehicle without a fob, we are redirecting your car to a dealer”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Deep in a mountainsmith cube filled with clothes. Nobody noticed cause the car turned on (since the cube was in the car.)

It took a LONG time to find the damn thing. Not the best of times.
    My group once lost the car key in the middle of a white rim trip.

Wife had been driving, we stopped for lunch and to explore a bit, and when it was time to roll again, she had no idea where the key was. There were a few moments of "oh my god we are so fucked". Turns out, she had walked away from the group to take a piss, and the keys were on the ground by her piss spot (don't know if she dropped them, set them down, or if they fell out of a pocket).

Wife's car starts with a fob that she keeps in her purse. I'm driving and drop her at the grocery store, I continue onto the car wash. No beeping about the fob being away from the car. I'm at the car wash and just about to turn it off when I see the warning on the dash.

House was less than a mile away, so it wouldn't have been a huge problem. We've had similar instances since then as well. I should probably enable the beeps/warning somehow.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

What was the problem they were trying to solve when the eliminated the whole "stick key in car" thing?

What was the problem they were trying to solve when the eliminated the whole "stick key in car" thing?
    Probably vehicle thefts. It was the next level of immobilizer and when some cars (Honda s2000) came out with a cool red Start/stop button, brands got giddy on the fact they could put that button anywhere for that race car look

Theft. Didn't work. New theft methods. They also gotta have a reason to charge more.

Yup I know. The car industry didn't expect hackers. It is a fashion industry mostly. Follow trends.