Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What's with all the Marker hate?

Might be opening up a giant can of worms here. But what's with all the hate for Marker? Seems like TGR's binding opinion is:

Marker:
    Worst binding in the world, you are surely going to die.

Salomon/Look/Rossi/Atomic/Tyrolia/etc:
    Comes down to personal preference.

So do I dare ask, why?

Same question from five years ago: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...arker-bindings

The kingpin recall issues didn't help.

Though the Alpinist seems to be somewhat of an exception. Reviewers tend to like them, and personally, the pair I have are growing on me.

The Royal family bindings ski fine, but they're hard to step into in deep snow.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Haven't owned a pair, but aren't pivots a pain too? And there's a huge fan base for those

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Same question from five years ago: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...arker-bindings

The kingpin recall issues didn't help.

Though the Alpinist seems to be somewhat of an exception. Reviewers tend to like them, and personally, the pair I have are growing on me.
    Wow, somehow the search bar didn't find it for me, ima jong

I will say I owned a pair of Jester Schizos and they got sloppy but I figured the slop was because of the "schizo" part

As a former shop tech, marker hate is very warranted. Probably 80% of bindings that fail the release test even though they are still on the indemnification list are low din markers. The biometric toes were horrible for skiing and testing, the heel is a pain to click into, the cheaper royal family bindings with more plastic seem to release inconsistently after a few seasons of use.

The higher din royal family bindings with more metal seem to be fine, I skied a lot of a few sets of jesters and had no problems, I just prefer pivots. So I’d say the hate is warranted on the low din cheaper models, the griffon/ squire etc are worse than comparable low din bindings from other manufacturers, high din models are pretty much a toss up to personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Haven't owned a pair, but aren't pivots a pain too? And there's a huge fan base for those
    Pivots are way easier to step into than Markers. I find that sth2/warden is easiest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Ignoring any of the quality problems they've had, all Marker bindings take easily twice the force to step into compared to other brands. Try stepping back into them in 3 feet of pow and then you'll get the hate.

We had a whole shwak of kingpin failures here but when I talk to my buddy down east they had 2, I have never been able to figure out that pattern

some shop dude recurrently posted that they had a bunch of the beloved p18's break compared to one out of 125 pairs of shifts

I been using a couple sets of barons exclusively for lift riding and i got no complaints
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Seriously, what a pain in the ass on a powder day or in a tight / awkward spot. I also had a few questionable non-releases with some Jesters a number of years back. Haven't skied on any for at least 5 years now, though, so...

Yeah, I think it was the 4th time I returned my KingPins for warranty that I decided I wasn't likely to buy Marker again...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I will say I owned a pair of Jester Schizos and they got sloppy but I figured the slop was because of the "schizo" part
    Same issues with schizo when I ran em a short time. Not bad overall but gimmicky.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Someone who weighs less than 140lbs can have a hard time stepping into Royal family models even on hard, flat snow. Especially in AT boots with rubber soles, which have more friction against the heel piece. Those can be tough even if you're 175 lbs, you really gotta jump on 'em.

Completely different than STH, and I assume Attacks that have similar design.

TJ warned us all not to “Marker out.”

Dukes had their fair share of issues as well...

Marker chooses to spend more of their money on marketing and industrial design than engineering and testing. They are the Crankbrothers of skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Because we are all old here and we all remember pre-releasing on old Markers for no reason at all. Most of us have no reason to see if they fixed their shit 20 years later.

Although I did contradict myself and try dukes when they came out as they were unique to the market for a moment. Mine broke 2nd run of the day, on a 2 foot powder day at Snowbird...

Also TJ Burke warmed us all in Aspen Extreme. We better crank these down if you Marker out we don’t win. TJ used looks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

I just bought a pair of Kingpins. After reading all the bad press I realized it went away after the recall. Seems everyone is scared to admit they like them.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I just bought a pair of Kingpins. After reading all the bad press I realized it went away after the recall. Seems everyone is scared to admit they like them.
    I like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Pivots are way easier to step into than Markers. I find that sth2/warden is easiest . . . Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    Ignoring any of the quality problems they've had, all Marker bindings take easily twice the force to step into compared to other brands. Try stepping back into them in 3 feet of pow and then you'll get the hate.
    Someone who weighs less than 140lbs can have a hard time stepping into Royal family models even on hard, flat snow. Especially in AT boots with rubber soles, which have more friction against the heel piece. Those can be tough even if you're 175 lbs, you really gotta jump on 'em. Completely different than STH, and I assume Attacks that have similar design.
    How many of you have skied the 2021 Royal Family bindings with the redesigned heel?

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I actually just had a friend with a sheared pin on a post-second recall set of toes and I'm pretty sure I read about another one in here somewhere recently. Someone posting about what to carry for repair kit in the bc or some such thing. I don't think the problem went away, I think they just lost a ton of market share and the problem is less evident. Fuck marker.

So do I dare ask, why?
    Literally decades of evidence of suckage.... that being said all bindings have their issues.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I used to really like the 15 din MRRs. Those got hard to find. Went to 916s, Peaks and Looks over the years. Have worn out toe wing afds and broke half moons. Some brakes were harder to bend when people still had to bend brakes. Now ski mostly iterations of 916s and mostly because I know them, have a jig, and have a drawer full of spares and spare parts. Probably the most trouble free binding that skied well was a pair of Peaks. Those just don’t seem to be readily available or have the same hole pattern over the years. I had an issue with a Duke and they ski tall. Haven’t given a fair shake to Markers in awhile but don’t really have a reason to.

I think Marker doesn’t get a lot of love is there’s a couple of bindings out there that have been getting done for a really long time.