Rough patch of few weeks on Mt Hood.

Fuck.

We almost had a death at Taos earlier today. Don't know all details, but apparent heart attack. Dude was being loaded onto toboggon not far below top of Kachina lift. Seemed to be communicating verbally with Ski Patrol as I passed. When I made it back to bottom of Kachina lift, multiple patrollers were administering very vigorous CPR to said skier. Kachina was summarily closed, so I went on to the bottom to Chair Four. A lifty there was way out in front telling folks that a chopper was coming and to either on-board STAT or get way out of the way. I learned later that the skier survived after multiple (three, I seem to recall) hits from a defibrillator. The chopper was also forbidden to land due to winds, so ambulance ride.

It was a relief to hear that he made it (and I hope still is).

how fragile is the flame that burns within us all...
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    No shit. Just read an obituary yesterday of a 49 year old guy who went snowboarding at our local area in the morning and collapsed in his kitchen later that day, dead.

Vibes to the friends and family of the Hood victim. He died living life to the fullest.

No point in stressing over it...just make smart choices when you have the choice, but shit happens beyond your control.

How do I know? I try to make healthy, smart choices, but one day the car broke at 70 mph and rolled me off the freeway. First time in my life I really thought time was up (even though I have been in my fair share of dicey situations.) Shit happens beyond your control, so control what you can and don't sweat the rest.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

FKNA Taos Ski Patrol nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Fuck.

We almost had a death at Taos earlier today. Don't know all details, but apparent heart attack. Dude was being loaded onto toboggon not far below top of Kachina lift. Seemed to be communicating verbally with Ski Patrol as I passed. When I made it back to bottom of Kachina lift, multiple patrollers were administering very vigorous CPR to said skier. Kachina was summarily closed, so I went on to the bottom to Chair Four. A lifty there was way out in front telling folks that a chopper was coming and to either on-board STAT or get way out of the way. I learned later that the skier survived after multiple (three, I seem to recall) hits from a defibrillator. The chopper was also forbidden to land due to winds, so ambulance ride.

It was a relief to hear that he made it (and I hope still is).

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    FKNA Taos Ski Patrol nice work!
    Agree! Code blues happen. The fact that it happened at a ski hill where the person was a close distance to many well trained responders instead of many different locations/scenarios is likely what saved him.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    No shit. Just read an obituary yesterday of a 49 year old guy who went snowboarding at our local area in the morning and collapsed in his kitchen later that day, dead.

Vibes to the friends and family of the Hood victim. He died living life to the fullest.
    Good friend of mine that I had known since 1st grade collapsed dead in his kitchen about a month ago. Hemorrhagic stroke.

42 years old with a 11 year old son.

RIP Blake.

My mom died at age 46 from a ruptured brain aneurysm. I was 22, my sister was 17 and living with her at the time. I have no idea if I have a ticking time bomb in my head. My grandmother lived to age 91 with an aneurysm and died of old age. My mom's boyfriend was "with" her when it happened, poor guy.

😢

Sorry to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My mom died at age 46 from a ruptured brain aneurysm. I was 22, my sister was 17 and living with her at the time. I have no idea if I have a ticking time bomb in my head. My grandmother lived to age 91 with an aneurysm and died of old age. My mom's boyfriend was "with" her when it happened, poor guy.

Dam bro.
    I'm guessing it's a major tomographic procedure with dye injections n'shit to get your melon checked for balloons?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Dam bro.
    I'm guessing it's a major tomographic procedure with dye injections n'shit to get your melon checked for balloons?
    Honestly don't know. I've mentioned it to various my various PCP over the years and they've been more interested in my other issues. I'm actually ok not knowing, not having it on my record as a pre-existing condition, and not having to make the choice regarding brain surgery.

My uncle survived one. Had surgery in the mid 80’s.

Funny that he was a pilot at the time and considered his life ruined after his license got revoked.

Dude went in to be a oil billionaire. He owned the largest private oil company in the world before he sold.