Newbie Looking for First Ski Purchase/Demo Recommendations

Hi Mags,

I'm rather new to skiing, but am absolutely addicted. I've been skiing occasionally for the past 4 years, but this past year I got a season pass at my local resort (Timberline, Oregon). I'm now skiing 1-2 times per weekend. I have been thoroughly enjoying the sport and currently have seasonal rentals with Next Adventure to try and get a feel for what kind of skis I like. I enjoy going fast and am mostly in the park on groomer days, but will go hit all the blacks and some side country on pow days. Looking for a kind of do it all PNW ski with a playful feel. I'm 6 foot tall, but feather light (stereotypical skinny highschooler) and can't drive the skis as hard as I would like, so I'm not looking for some crazy charger that's going to be to much ski for me. Looking for something that will specifically excel in the park and pow, but is usable on groomers. I pretty much suck in the park, but am looking for a ski that will support me to do some medium jumps, small drops/pillows, and basically something for me to grow in to.

I'm currently on some old atomic century women's ski (the only pow and twin tip ski they had left). It's 108 underfoot and I am definitely liking the flotation it provides. It doesn't have a really strong edge to dig in and honestly I care more about soft snow performance. I'm looking for something that's quick from edge to edge for trees, yet stable enough to make some progress in the park. I've done a lot of research and am thinking something along the lines of the ON3P Jeffrey 108. Planning on demoing a few skis toward the end of the season before I buy so suggestions would be more than appreciated.
    Last edited by litespeed; 02-25-2020 at 06:28 PM. Reason: jong vibes

Just here to post in this soon to be epic[one way or another]thread.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Just here to post in this soon to be epic[one way or another]thread.
    I am well aware of my jongness and am currently bracing for impact

Quote Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
    I am well aware of my jongness and am currently bracing for impact
    That's the spirit!
    Isn't Mt Hood basically ON3Ps home turf? Im sure getting a J108 to demo won't be difficult.

You’re definitely headed in the right general direction with the J108. Honestly, it’s hard to go wrong with most skis in that class, just demo a handful and see which you like the most.

Hi Mags,

I'm rather new to skiing, but am absolutely addicted. I've been skiing occasionally for the past 4 years, but this past year I got a season pass at my local resort (Timberline, Oregon). I'm now skiing 1-2 times per weekend. I have been thoroughly enjoying the sport and currently have seasonal rentals with Next Adventure to try and get a feel for what kind of skis I like. I enjoy going fast and am mostly in the park on groomer days, but will go hit all the blacks and some side country on pow days. Looking for a kind of do it all PNW ski with a playful feel. I'm 6 foot tall, but feather light (stereotypical skinny highschooler) and can't drive the skis as hard as I would like, so I'm not looking for some crazy charger that's going to be to much ski for me. Looking for something that will specifically excel in the park and pow, but is usable on groomers. I pretty much suck in the park, but am looking for a ski that will support me to do some medium jumps, small drops/pillows, and basically something for me to grow in to.

I'm currently on some old atomic century women's ski (the only pow and twin tip ski they had left). It's 108 underfoot and I am definitely liking the flotation it provides. It doesn't have a really strong edge to dig in and honestly I care more about soft snow performance. I'm looking for something that's quick from edge to edge for trees, yet stable enough to make some progress in the park. I've done a lot of research and am thinking something along the lines of the ON3P Jeffrey 108. Planning on demoing a few skis toward the end of the season before I buy so suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Dude it seems like you're on the right path! And, like others have said, just demo a bunch of stuff and see what speaks to you. Lots of great skis in that class.

And, unlike the other guy who posted up looking for similar advice today, you actually made it into the right forum. So don't be too hard on yourself!!

I agree you're on the right path. Jeffery 108 sounds like a great fit. As I said in the ON3P thread, the Woodsman 108 is probably also worth trying. But my guess is if you're wanting to spend time in the park and pow the Jeffery is your answer.

Don't listen to this collection of fucksticks in this thread.

Just get red ones.

This seems like a great question for Blister gear review, to be honest. But yeah, the 186 ON3P Jeffrey and 190 Wildcat 108 would be the top of my list.

Also, make sure your boots fit well.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post

Also, make sure your boots fit well.
    x2.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tons of great options in the 100-110 underfoot freestyle category. You probably can’t go wrong with many of them. Along with the J108 if you can try the armada arv 106, line sir Francis bacon, faction prodigy 3.0, Black crows Atris, K2 marksman or moment wildcat 108 those are all forgiving skis that will work great in park and pow.

What length are the skis you are on right now? Intermediate skier your height I would suggest 180-186 length, but try multiple lengths when you demo and go with what feels best.
    Last edited by poleplant; 02-26-2020 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Additions

Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    Tons of great options in the 100-110 underfoot freestyle category. You probably can’t go wrong with many of them. Along with the J108 if you can try the armada arv 106, line sir Francis bacon, faction prodigy 3.0, Black crows Atris, K2 marksman or moment wildcat 108 those are all forgiving skis that will work great in park and pow.

What length are the skis you are on right now? Intermediate skier your height I would suggest 180-186 length, but try multiple lengths when you demo and go with what feels best.
    Yeah I'll definitely have to check them out. My skis are way short right now (170). I'm probably going to demo somewhere around the 175-185 range to get a sense for what I like. Thinking of sticking with something on the middle/short side to help with maneuverability in the trees and learning in the park. As some earlier people mentioned I definitely need to get some good fitting boots. Would you guys suggest I do that before I demo skis? I'm currently renting basic boots and they aren't great. Can't tighten them down as much as I would like and my heel slips in my boot whenever I try a butter or manual. Thanks for the suggestions!

<snip> I definitely need to get some good fitting boots. Would you guys suggest I do that before I demo skis?
    Good God yes.

Yeah I'll definitely have to check them out. My skis are way short right now (170). I'm probably going to demo somewhere around the 175-185 range to get a sense for what I like. Thinking of sticking with something on the middle/short side to help with maneuverability in the trees and learning in the park. As some earlier people mentioned I definitely need to get some good fitting boots. Would you guys suggest I do that before I demo skis? I'm currently renting basic boots and they aren't great. Can't tighten them down as much as I would like and my heel slips in my boot whenever I try a butter or manual. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Yes, 100% get yourself a good fitting pair of boots first. Once that's sorted then start looking into a new pair of skis. Budget permitting you can do both right now, but if it's one or the other at the moment then definitely boots.

Unlike skis, walk into the best bootfitting shop you can find (PDX mags can help here), and buy what the head bootfitter suggests. Be nice and patient, bring beer or whatever the shop likes, pay what they ask, and know you'll ski happy for years to come.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Ill fitting red boots will be fine, but if you don't get the reds ones, then yes, boots first skis second, or is it pants first, shoes second?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Oh, and if you are this jongy about skis and boots, should you really be out of bounds? At least pack bacon for the avi dogs when they find your stiff carcass.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Or alpinezone

Epic ski forum was fine before vail fucked it up like everything else they buy
    . . .

As stated above: Boots first, from someone* who knows how to fit them. Skis barely matter if your boots don't fit your feet or your intended porpoise.

*Not GS, CL, Ebay, Mr Bezos or an online retailer

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Oh, and if you are this jongy about skis and boots, should you really be out of bounds? At least pack bacon for the avi dogs when they find your stiff carcass.
    My trick is to where the brightest neon jacket I can find so that maybe they'll see my body from an airplane or something.

To elaborate re boots--it's all about the fit, different makes and models fit different feet, which is why going to a good shop with a good fitter is the way to go. Plus most good shops will make adjustments for free for a year (the shop I go to will do it longer than that--just how long I haven't figured out.) Buying boots from a shop is cheaper in the long run and will save much pain and suffering. Remember that it's easier to make a boot looser than make it tighter, and you can make it softer but not stiffer.

As far as skis go Blister reviews are excellent and free, or you can pay for an upgraded subscription which I think is worth it when you're in buying mode. One nice feature of the pay subscriptions is that they compare models, so if you demo a ski and wish it was turnier/chargier/floatier,crud-bustier or whatever, the comparisons will guide you to the next ski to try.

And ignore the people who tell you to go to a different site because you're not cool enough for this one. They're just old, bitter, and probably injured and out for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    To elaborate re boots--it's all about the fit, different makes and models fit different feet, which is why going to a good shop with a good fitter is the way to go. Plus most good shops will make adjustments for free for a year (the shop I go to will do it longer than that--just how long I haven't figured out.) Buying boots from a shop is cheaper in the long run and will save much pain and suffering. Remember that it's easier to make a boot looser than make it tighter, and you can make it softer but not stiffer.

As far as skis go Blister reviews are excellent and free, or you can pay for an upgraded subscription which I think is worth it when you're in buying mode. One nice feature of the pay subscriptions is that they compare models, so if you demo a ski and wish it was turnier/chargier/floatier,crud-bustier or whatever, the comparisons will guide you to the next ski to try.

And ignore the people who tell you to go to a different site because you're not cool enough for this one. They're just old, bitter, and probably injured and out for the season.
    Thank you! I just got in touch with a boot fitter here in PDX. Appreciate all the advice!