Blue Light Glasses

Any mags use these for eye degeneration / sleep cycle preservation?

I've been logging more screen time at work the last couple months now that the bulk of field ops are complete. Couple that with an hour or two at home checking personal email, editing photos, etc. and it just seems like too much. From the research I've done there seems to be a good amount of conflicting data on this but from the vast majority of people who have actually logged time with them they do report an improvement, whether placebo or not.

I personally haven't used them but multiple friends have. They said they've noticed a difference with getting rid of headaches due to screen time and improved sleep when looking at a screen late at night. Cant speak to the eye degeneration in terms of the glasses.

I spend 8-10 hours a day looking at screens and have noticed my eyes degenerate faster since this became life but a lot of research says it's not due to the blue light, its due to the amount of time we spend looking at something that is 2 feet away or less. I've started using the 20/20/20 rule after doing some research which is every 20 minutes look 20 feet away (or farther) for 20 seconds. I can't say I do it every 20 minutes but that's the conclusion I've come to. Seems to be more research backing this than blue light glasses in terms of eye degeneration.

So if you're looking to get rid of headaches due to screens or improve sleep then I say go with the glasses. If you're worried about eye degeneration, the 20/20/20 rule seems to have more backing.

I picked up a set at my last job when I started doing more plans examining on screen instead of paper. Reviewing construction drawings on a 44 inch monitor will blast your eyeballs. I found them to help with eye fatigue, but the biggest thing is to force yourself to look away from your screen for 1-2 minutes every 15 minutes.

I’ve been dealing with headaches from screentime and got some blue light glasses. They do seem to help.

Yeah, I wfh and am a programmer so spend anywhere from 8-12+ hours a day glued to huge double monitors staring at text. I switched jobs over the summer, got the extra monitor and was logging a lot of hours getting used to the new setup, and was getting very painful headaches / noticed my eyes were getting very sensitive to light. So I got these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're very comfortable and have made a big difference. I had tried another pair previously but hadn't really noticed any difference, but the ANRRI's are really good (they also don't pinch my kinda big head which is a plus). For < $25 I'd definitely recommend them, it's made a huge difference to me, especially when there isn't a lot of natural light like at night, storms, and so on.

your phone is worse than your monitor because of the high contrast in a small screen

large monitor allows you to at least balance the intensity across your full field of vision, whereas the smaller screen causes your eyeballs to constantly adjust to the peripheral light level vs the screen level

my humble dental opinion, not necessarily backed by science

do take regular monitor breaks to allow your eyeballs to focus at other distances

Stay off TGR...problem solved.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

My plan is to look at my screen for a minute or two. Then look away for like 3 minutes. Then look at my screen for two minutes, and look away for 5. Then I look st my screen for 30 seconds, and go ride my bike for a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Stay off TGR...problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    My plan is to look at my screen for a minute or two. Then look away for like 3 minutes. Then look at my screen for two minutes, and look away for 5. Then I look st my screen for 30 seconds, and go ride my bike for a couple hours.
    These both appear to be the most plausible solutions

Thinking I'll give those ANRRI glasses a try and report back in a few weeks/months

Nothing helps more than strict adherence to 20/20/20 rule.

Every 20 minutes, close your eyes for 20 seconds and then focus on something 20ft away for 20 seconds. Improvise and adapt as you wish. The times and distances aren't critical--just forming the habit. (Use a timer).

I got the prescription blue blocker shit from Costco. It's meh.

F.lux, monitor settings, and even windows' built in night light feature are just as good.

I spend more time in front of more monitor real estate that all y'all.

Another free/easy thing is set your phone to automatically turn on "blue-light filter" mode after a certain time (like 8pm). It costs nothing and may/may not do anything but it makes me feel a bit better about reading on my phone before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    Another free/easy thing is set your phone to automatically turn on "blue-light filter" mode after a certain time (like 8pm). It costs nothing and may/may not do anything but it makes me feel a bit better about reading on my phone before bed.
    I sometime look at my phone before bed (with the blue light filter on) and noticed it takes significantly longer to fall asleep, even if I was just watching TV. Phones seem to be the worst screens like what ::: ::: said. Highly recommend paperwhite kindles, they don't strain my eyes anymore than a book.

Screens and blue light do not "degenerate" your eyes. Blue light interrupts melatonin production which is why it's thought to mess up your sleep. However, new research suggests that the importance of blue light may have been overstated and brightness is the critical factor: https://newatlas.com/science/blue-li...llow-spectrum/

Screens degenerate your vision, but not your eyes. Your lens changes focus by being pulled on by tiny little muscles. If you stare at a screen close to your face for hours and hours those muscles move very little and eventually are unable to move through their full ROM. It's similar to calf muscles shortening from wearing high-heeled shoes too much, or hip flexors shortening from too much sitting.

Eventually everyone's eyes are unable to change focus. More a matter of the lens hardening with age than lack of exercise of the focusing muscles.

My girlfriend had a pretty bad concussion and was struggling with screen time related migraines for a long while after. She says that blue light glasses have really helped control her migraines. I haven't tried them and YMMV, but they've really helped her out.