Looking for a Grand Traverse partner

So my partner for the Grand Traverse bailed this year, and I'm looking for someone who really wants to suffer with me.

About me - 32 years old (as of today!) - in decent shape - pretty good at suffering - i've got all the necessary kit (and have stuff i can loan) - interested in finishing and having a good time, not interested in being super competitive or suffering more than necessary.

Let me know if you wanna go do a 40 mile, 8k race at the end of March?

Happy Birthday! I don't want to do that personally, but if you might want to try the Gunnison Marketplace on Facebook if you're still looking a week from now or whatever. A bet a CB local would take you up on that...

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Happy Birthday! I don't want to do that personally, but if you might want to try the Gunnison Marketplace on Facebook if you're still looking a week from now or whatever. A bet a CB local would take you up on that...
    Ha, yeah, I figured I would throw something out here first since I've had such a good experience on TGR even with the limited amount of time I've been active here. I'll look around FB and other places in a week or so if I can't find a maggot who really wants to have an awful time with me.

Happy birthday !!!
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Happy birthday !!!
    Thanks!! All I really want for my birthday is fresh snow. And maybe a GT partner too

there is a "Grand traverse athletes forum" fb group where you can probably find someone

if any mags are thinking of it, tgapp is a solid dude and pretty fast (imo anyway)

if you really get stuck... I may be able to be persuaded...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    there is a "Grand traverse athletes forum" fb group where you can probably find someone

if any mags are thinking of it, tgapp is a solid dude and pretty fast (imo anyway)

if you really get stuck... I may be able to be persuaded...
    Hahaha thanks man! Hoping to find someone here first, that way, I don't end up with a rando race guy who pees in a catheter running down his leg to save thirty seconds off of his time.

I'm not fast but I do have good snacks. Not sure why I signed up for this thing in the first place, but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Hahaha thanks man! Hoping to find someone here first, that way, I don't end up with a rando race guy who pees in a catheter running down his leg to save thirty seconds off of his time.

I'm not fast but I do have good snacks. Not sure why I signed up for this thing in the first place, but here we are.
    There's no shame in coming to your senses and backing out ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

This is something that I've wanted to do for as long as I've known it's existed. I have the time off from work, waiting for my dad to shit or get off the pot about booking a ski trip for himself that I would join on. Perhaps I'll force his hand and say I'm going to the Elks.

I'm just flinging shit at the wall at this point, but it's worth pondering. I'm 31, in decent shape, would rather finish than try to place high and implode, and I don't talk too much.

ETA: I also have contacts in CB and Aspen who could provide logistical support(place to organize gear/crash/etc if needed.
    Last edited by glademaster; 02-25-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks for the information

I'm down. I'd probably need to borrow some lighter touring gear, I'm still rocking dukes as I don't like how tech bindings ski but have tech compatible boots. I'm 35, and the sufferfest has become a way of life to the point that there is no sufferfest. Can probably get a shuttle figured out with a small plane assuming the weather is feasible.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

So it's looking like my annual Dolomites trip (which happens to coincide with the Grand Traverse) is unlikely to happen because of Covid + schedule changes. So I might as well find something stupid to do, like 40 miles of sidehilling at night. Any stupid Front Range mags interested? Bonus if for someone who, like me, prefers avoiding I70 most of the time.

Well, looks like it's pretty much full form all the folks who didn't get to do it last year. Plus Covid could fuck it up anyway. Oh well.

I need something difficult to look forward to besides work. Some objective that requires more than adequate fitness. Something to stop me from sitting my ass in front of a computer for days on end when the snow and weather sucks. Maybe this is the year I ski the Grand?

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Well, looks like it's pretty much full form all the folks who didn't get to do it last year. Plus Covid could fuck it up anyway. Oh well.

I need something difficult to look forward to besides work. Some objective that requires more than adequate fitness. Something to stop me from sitting my ass in front of a computer for days on end when the snow and weather sucks. Maybe this is the year I ski the Grand?
    i'd go do something stupid with you. just not the GT. i like stupid trips.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    i'd go do something stupid with you. just not the GT. i like stupid trips.
    Ok. Let's start brainstorming.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Ok. Let's start brainstorming.
    mustagh ata oct 2022!

before then - something like chicago basin by winter? collegiate peak traverse? some big linkup in the southern san juans?

The moab 240 passes not too far from my house. I keep telling myself it'd be a good first running race because with that many miles its more of a speed walk anyways, easier on the body.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.