Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How are the unpaved roads in Grand Staircase Escalante Monument?

And Capitol Reef. Not the knarly stuff. Are there well maintained roads my little HRV won't get hurt riding on?

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

They're probably better than the paved ones in Baltimore.

We don’t talk about these things in “public”

I'd say they're all gravy if you know what you're doing. Ask not what your vehicle can do for you, etc. Just go and see. Or go loaded for bear. Or spendsome time and ducats doing the ground research.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And Capitol Reef. Not the knarly stuff. Are there well maintained roads my little HRV won't get hurt riding on?
    Yes.

But honestly, just get a rental, do the damage waiver, and thrash the shit out of it.

"Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A fuckin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a fuck what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?" -- Mona Lisa Vito [Gambini]

I did a lot of exploring in a Subaru gl wagon in capital reef area

There is a road over the Waterfold gap that is a nice drive

Fill your tank up - it was a long way between gas stations

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'm more wundeings if bunny off piste driving skills
    Are as lame as his off piste skiing skills
    I'm going with unprepared
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Talk to the rangers. Road conditions vary over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

honda hrv is similar to awd rogue no? you should be good. rentals are supposed to be abused

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9258.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	317356

The basic roads in Grand Staircase Escalante are easy in just about any car...until it rains or snows and then the clay mud is activated and then you are getting stuck without a serious 4x4.

Check with the rangers and dont go far out there if significant precip is forecast

Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    The basic roads in Grand Staircase Escalante are easy in just about any car...until it rains or snows and then the clay mud is activated and then you are getting stuck without a serious 4x4.

Check with the rangers and dont go far out there if significant precip is forecast

yes the mud is for real. got stuck for a few extra days in dark canyon. I carry chains and have used in my kia sorrento. The mud is as slick as glare ice.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    yes the mud is for real. got stuck for a few extra days in dark canyon. I carry chains and have used in my kia sorrento. The mud is as slick as glare ice.
    We went for a day drive in March and the roads were fine until we got to a north facing section with a steep uphill. Snow lingered and melted and the slippery as snot mud was in effect. Fishtailed all the way up the hill in the Highlander. Turned around at the top and slowly slipslided back down.

Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Choss Jonger, Sr. View Post
    if you know what you're doing.
    You're new here aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Ok, thanks, watch the weather, crucial.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

although not crucial I think having a good guide book is helpful. Many places are not obvious from the road. Also covers some less known hikes that may not be crowded. I am happy with Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau by Kelsey. Maybe a little bit of a sand bagger on times and difficulty but has got me to many spectacular spots. If the sign says road may be impassable when wet they mean it.
    off your knees Louie

A lotta stores down there are closed during off-season, so stock up on the Metamucil before leaving SLC.

^ love this guy's channel.

Lot's of tourists getting stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

^ love this guy's channel.

Lot's of tourists getting stuck.
    Way better than I thought it would be. Great editing with dogs in fast forward.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Way better than I thought it would be. Great editing with dogs in fast forward.
    It really is addictive. Something about his super laid back manner, having old Ed tag along, the dogs, the clueless stuck rubes, and his beat up old Cherokee just getting it done.

+1 You can learn a lot of "what not to do" from those vids. It adds interest that I've been to quite a few spots he rescues people for biking. And come close to getting my truck stuck in mud and have to call for help.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    +1 You can learn a lot of "what not to do" from those vids. It adds interest that I've been to quite a few spots he rescues people for biking. And come close to getting my truck stuck in mud and have to call for help.
    Waiting for the "dragging a bunny out of a hole" episode to be aired soon.

Now that the mining/oil companies have taken control the roads should be good enough to drive a tractor trailer on. That and they paved 90% of the Burr Trail (or did the weasels finish it?)

Last time I was there the dirt roads were very good, but that was a long time ago.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I am happy with Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau by Kelsey.
    Michael J Kelsey will get ya killed hahaha. Also, have fun converting km into miles. There's better resources online, but I do admit Kelsey's books have some good history and I own quite a few of his books.

As for bunny's question, it really depends on the road. Hole in the Rock and Burr trail are more or less easy to get done in a sedan if you are capable of driving slow and carefully. Others you may want high clearance 4wd

Kelsey would trace topos for his maps then resize them to fit the page but use the same scale. A hike might wind up being twice the distance. "You should plan 8 hrs for this hike..but the author did it in 3 hrs" No ego there. And Benny don't go if its really wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Michael J Kelsey will get ya killed hahaha. Also, have fun converting km into miles. There's better resources online, but I do admit Kelsey's books have some good history and I own quite a few of his books.

As for bunny's question, it really depends on the road. Hole in the Rock and Burr trail are more or less easy to get done in a sedan if you are capable of driving slow and carefully. Others you may want high clearance 4wd