Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    You also need to define... are you taking pictures of people in a space or people skiing.
    This is a good point. IMO there's no substitute for a long len's compression when your subject is the skier. You can still get great results if you're shooting in tight with a short lens / P&S / phone, as mentioned can be difficult to get there in certain situations. The other nice thing about FF is the ability to crop in and retain good IQ.

Here are some from last season:

6D with 70-200 @ 170mm

cropped

SFB with 6D w/ 24-70 @ 44mm - there's no doubt in my mind I couldn't have gotten an extremely similar shot with my RX100 in this situation... also, about skiing through a line you plan to photograph... DOH

1DIV with 70-200 @ 125mm - from chairlift

Wish I had some shots with the RX100 I could share for reference, but alas I accidentally douched my entire photo library last February.

I was playing around with that 200 mm telephoto kit lens today and shot the subject with a rangefinder out of curiosity. At 60 yards hand-held it really isn't that crisp. That was after trying a bunch of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed combos in pretty bright daylight. I popped the card into my laptop to check them in photo editing software and the results are pretty poor. Debating rigging some kind of tripod mount onto the grip of my ski pole. Seems like the new BD whippet attachment piece would be easy to modify into a camera mount.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    This printed 11x14 reasonably well https://www.instagram.com/p/B8O-fQilxkh/. Any bigger though and it looked poor. Also taken with gloves on. That said I've used it for years and am reasonably ok with dealing with the truly Hello Kitty nature of the Sony UI.
    That's a great shot. You might be able to rent a large format and shoot a picture of the print and get something bigger that looks good. I've always wanted to try that with one of my favorite photos I took with a P&S.

If one was to get a rx100, is the zoom on the 6/7 good enough or stick with the 5?

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    If one was to get a rx100, is the zoom on the 6/7 good enough or stick with the 5?
    Interested in this as well. Yall have me wanting to buy a decent camera now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I was playing around with that 200 mm telephoto kit lens today and shot the subject with a rangefinder out of curiosity. At 60 yards hand-held it really isn't that crisp. That was after trying a bunch of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed combos in pretty bright daylight. I popped the card into my laptop to check them in photo editing software and the results are pretty poor. Debating rigging some kind of tripod mount onto the grip of my ski pole. Seems like the new BD whippet attachment piece would be easy to modify into a camera mount.
    I've been meaning to drill a hole in the top of my hiking pole grip and mount a 1/4-20 threaded stud to use as a camera mount (I have a 1/4-20 tap, so could tap it for a threaded rod or double end screw, or just epoxy something in there). You can buy monopods, and maybe trekking poles with a tripod screw, but I'd rather modify a pole that I like.

It's not quite the same thing but I recently got a "Smallrig" clamp with threaded holes and a mini ballhead on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SmallRig-Cl...G/254252160948 If the link doesn't work just search "smallrig clamp." Sort of like a cheapo Manfrotto super clamp. You can use them to clamp cameras onto anything. The ballhead is tiny and mostly for a compact camera, but the machining is solid metal and good quality. I don't understand how they can sell it for just nine bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Interested in this as well. Yall have me wanting to buy a decent camera now...

Check out TheDigitalDigest on youtube, he has some good videos comparing all of the RX100 series cameras.

The main difference you'll notice between the V and VI is the lens. The V has a 24-70 f/1.8-2.8 and the VI has a 24-200 f/2.8-4.5. So you'd have a lot more reach at the expense of roughly one stop. Other than that they are very similar spec wise.

The VII has a few advantages of over the VI, mainly in the AF department. It also has a built in mic port and time lapse mode, both of which I'd personally like to have on the V. If you shoot a lot video the mic, active steady shot, and same eye AF tech as the A7RIV might make it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    I've been meaning to drill a hole in the top of my hiking pole grip and mount a 1/4-20 threaded stud to use as a camera mount (I have a 1/4-20 tap, so could tap it for a threaded rod or double end screw, or just epoxy something in there). You can buy monopods, and maybe trekking poles with a tripod screw, but I'd rather modify a pole that I like.

It's not quite the same thing but I recently got a "Smallrig" clamp with threaded holes and a mini ballhead on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SmallRig-Cl...G/254252160948 If the link doesn't work just search "smallrig clamp." Sort of like a cheapo Manfrotto super clamp. You can use them to clamp cameras onto anything. The ballhead is tiny and mostly for a compact camera, but the machining is solid metal and good quality. I don't understand how they can sell it for just nine bucks.
    I like your idea to modify something I already have. It would be nice to ream out a grip, put a set thumbscrew in place, and have the ability to exchange the grip for a lens or camera mount. I'll check out the link.

BTW, B&H used lens came today. Great condition, 30 day no questions asked return policy. I'm happy so far. 80-400 lens is a beast. Don't know that I'll be skiing with it in my pack, it's very heavy. Shots are nice even at full length.

Having the RX100 in various models (II, V and VI) for certain the longer (and I mean MUCH longer) lens of the VI makes a hudge difference. I can get the picture I want without having to crop. versus hoping that the excellent resolution will work to make a crop look OK. Look at the picture of Pete Townsend back page - 30 rows back and no cropping, and it's pretty crisp with artificial light.

I still have two II's as I have a nice underwater case for them, but otherwise they'd be long gone.

Also with the VI you get a pop-up optical viewfinder that's auto focused, not like the V where you have to set it up for every shot.

VI or VII are the way to go.

Super helpful, thanks to you both for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Woolie12 View Post
    Also with the VI you get a pop-up optical viewfinder that's auto focused, not like the V where you have to set it up for every shot.
    Can you elaborate on this? I have the V and not sure what you're referring to with having to set it up for every shot.

With the V (as I remember), you pop up the viewfinder, then have to set the diopter for your eye every time (my eyes are not good). With the VI it's automatic. That "feature" on the V was what pissed off my buddies most when I'd get first tracks to set-up to get their action shots , and I fiddled around being able to see through the viewfinder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07290.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	318739]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07289.1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	318738  
    Last edited by Woolie12; 03-04-2020 at 09:05 AM.

great info guys thanks!

OP I will say if you decide to stay with Nikon the new bodies are a ton better than the D40. I shot with the D40 mated to that 18-300 VR lens for years and it's a pleasant surprise how much faster my D7100 meters and focuses.

Also looking for a new camera. Have an upcoming baby so want a family cam but also want to be able to do some ski pics, especially in the Backcountry.

My main question is how important is weather sealing? Main decision right now is between a6400 and xt30. Xt30 is not sealed so could be risky for ski use although most of sonys lenses aren't weather sealed. In an ideal world I would go with xt3 or xt4 but don't think I can afford to go that route.

Anyone have any horror stories from shooting in snow with a non sealed set up?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

OP I will say if you decide to stay with Nikon the new bodies are a ton better than the D40. I shot with the D40 mated to that 18-300 VR lens for years and it's a pleasant surprise how much faster my D7100 meters and focuses.
    I fondled the nikons in the store the other day. They felt like lead bricks and were physically quite a bit bigger. The A7 felt like a steel brick. The A6600, maybe a Tin brick. The RX100 felt like I might break it if I looked at it too hard.

Also I realized a big part of the proposed mission is going to be capturing alpineglow shots, meaning dynamic range, sensor size and lowlight performance is going to be pretty important. Looking like the choice is going to be Sony A7III paired with the Sigma 24-70 F2.8. But given the lens is on backorder and the pending release of the A7IV will likely drop prices of prior models, pickup likely to be delayed for a bit. Will obviously report back with results

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I...Looking like the choice is going to be Sony A7III paired with the Sigma 24-70 F2.8. But given the lens is on backorder ...
    also take a look at the tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 if you can live without the wider angle.

Nice! You’ll love that setup.

Same thoughts on the Tamron as where shared by Judo... but I’ve been looking at the sigma also. I’ve heard AWESOME things about the Sony 24-105. If low light doesn’t matter that much and you won’t be shooting at night this could be a good option.

I have currently 35mm zeiss loxia, Sony 85mm 1.8 and Sony 70-300mm for my a7iii. It’s been a fun setup.

Seriously thinking about swapping to a pair of 2.8 zooms and the 24mm GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I fondled the nikons in the store the other day. They felt like lead bricks and were physically quite a bit bigger. The A7 felt like a steel brick. The A6600, maybe a Tin brick. The RX100 felt like I might break it if I looked at it too hard.

Also I realized a big part of the proposed mission is going to be capturing alpineglow shots, meaning dynamic range, sensor size and lowlight performance is going to be pretty important. Looking like the choice is going to be Sony A7III paired with the Sigma 24-70 F2.8. But given the lens is on backorder and the pending release of the A7IV will likely drop prices of prior models, pickup likely to be delayed for a bit. Will obviously report back with results

Quote Originally Posted by taoslcl View Post
    Anyone have any horror stories from shooting in snow with a non sealed set up?
    No. My a6000 and all my lenses are not weather sealed. Zero issues shooting in snow, even when snowing heavily. I wouldn't take it out if it was pouring rain but otherwise no worries.

Found a good local score on a used RX100 vi from a guy who wants to upgrade to the vii. I'll report back after a get some shots taken.

Found a good local score on a used RX100 vi from a guy who wants to upgrade to the vii. I'll report back after a get some shots taken.
    Dang! Guess I need to start searching. What did you pay, if you don't mind?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Dang! Guess I need to start searching. What did you pay, if you don't mind?
    Guy I have skied a few volcano routes with, so we traded a pair of old Dynafit skis and some cash, probably worth about $500 or so IMO.

What a steal, man! Congrats. Hope it works well for ya.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I've got a RX 100 IV that I haven't been using much lately and I think I'll part with. Great camera, just find myself sucking it up and taking the A7iii with me usually if I'm gonna take pics. Message me if interested.