Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    ETA: In olden days, skis were stored with a block placed between the bases at the apex of the camber.
    That, along with pine tar and lignostone edges on x-c skis ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-24-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Camber is overrated .
    Amen brother

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    That, along with pine tar and lignostone bases on x-c skis ;-)

... Thom
    I mean, his name is GeezerSteve, after all.

This [duh]. Maybe it's my Nordic ski background*, but why I can't imagine why the fuck anyone would store skis strapped at the waist. [/rant]
    Must be cuz I'm stoopid.

I'm willing to take everyone making fun of me if it helps someone else realize they shouldn't store their skis this way. I'm not above admitting my idiocy for everyone to see and learn from. I'll prolly go back to not posting again soon anyway.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    you skiing on them will impart, literally, orders of magnitude of more force than strapping them together for a few weeks/months...
    It's like stretching an elastic band quickly and letting it go vs leaving it stretched out for the summer... they will have different effects right

^^^ that

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    That, along with pine tar and lignostone bases on x-c skis ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I mean, his name is GeezerSteve, after all.
    eh, sonny?

^^^ that

eh, sonny?
    Oops! Lignostone edges.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    you skiing on them will impart, literally, orders of magnitude of more force than strapping them together for a few weeks/months...
    Yep. Back about 15 years ago some mags would TRY to decamber their skis by leaving them heavily weighted for weeks and it wouldn't have the desired effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I strap my skis together at the contact points, hang by tips from below the strap. No undo forces.

However, I’m in the total bullshit camp on decambering a burly alpine ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    And it's nowhere close to the dumbest thing I've done.
    I’d like to hear more about this.

Fiberglass/Carbon laminate structures will creep (take a permanent set) when stored under stress. This is a function of time and temperature. So, yeah if you deflect a ski and store it for half the year in a warm/hot place this makes sense.

I'd expect this to be most pronounced on foam core skis where the core is not really participating in the structure of the ski.

Skis with a metal layer will probably have a lot lot less creep behavior, but still may have some depending on how much fiberglass is used.

Strapping alpine skis together doesn't de-camber them. Skiing de-cambers them. If strapping them together worked, I would have a whole quiver of flat skis. But the only skis I have that have lost camber are the oldest ones that I have beat up the greatest number of days.

And I agree, camber is overrated. I wish I could speed up the process of de-cambering my newest boards but they have been strapped together for more than a year and they still have the same camber as when I bought them. I have about 50 ski days on them so far and that just isn't enough. Maybe I'll block the contact points and strap them tight in the middle over the hot summer and see what happens. I don't expect any change.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    As a ski tech I feel the need to tell youse all
    You're skis will last longer if you never take them out of the plastic ,mount or ski them
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

fake news !
    fake news ?
    fake
    f
    ;(
    i am a scientist i seek to understand me
    left sum bg’s strapped by the door tonight
    cant sleep, making cobwebs
    camber betters b there today, got pow to slay
    or spiders
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

100% fake news
    Last year I forgot to unstrap my touring skis after a trip, put my ski bag into the closet and never used this pair until this winter. I was afraid they de-cambered being strapped for more than 6 months, but after I removed straps they were just fine.

What about the straps? Doesn't anyone think of the straps?

Name:  IMG_7917.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  59.6 KB

(I tried to put early rise into skis by strapping them with a 2x4" wood block under the tips and leaving them all year in a shed that gets hot in the summer. It might have had a very small effect.)

Back when the Bro's were taking volume out of WW play boats they would just park a car on the end of the boat AKA " the Honda method "

You probably need to try the " Toyota method " where you put a sandbag on the ski shovels tips &drive over it with yer pu truck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This [duh]. Maybe it's my Nordic ski background*, but why I can't imagine why the fuck anyone would store skis strapped at the waist. [/rant]
    For the same reason that I perennially find coal-black banana carcasses in my skiing/climbing/hiking packs--a combination of laziness and forgetfulness.

In the event of a ski emergency, having your skis tightly strapped and ready to go can save precious seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    What about the straps? Doesn't anyone think of the straps?

Name:  IMG_7917.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  59.6 KB
    I know, right? I've tried hanging my straps weighted to get the kinks out of where they bend but no matter what they're still bent. I was thinking of maybe taking a hot blow drier to warm the strap a bit while hanging next.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    For the same reason that I perennially find coal-black banana carcasses in my skiing/climbing/hiking packs--a combination of laziness and forgetfulness.
    This fall I found a Babybel cheese wheel in my bag from a spring trip...I may have tasted it. And regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    This fall I found a Babybel cheese wheel in my bag from a spring trip...I may have tasted it. And regretted it.
    Ballsy move!
    I went for a cheese stick that had gone through a few dozen freeze thaw cycles in the top of my pack last spring and I most definitely regretted it. Less so than the guy who was following me on the skinner though.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Back when the Bro's were taking volume out of WW play boats they would just park a car on the end of the boat AKA " the Honda method "

You probably need to try the " Toyota method " where you put a sandbag on the ski shovels tips &drive over it with yer pu truck
    But that also took some heat if you wanted it to stick.

i think if you want to bend skis you also need heat also
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I store 'em in an overlapping X pattern...kinda the same way I carry 'em but the ski carry orientation has the neck at the tails with tips forward, kinda like a 'flying V' shape of a guitar. Call it the Judas Priest/KK Downing carry method.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 337
Size:  593.7 KB

Camber maintained (if u want it maintained), stands up nicely balanced and stacks easier with the other bros and sistas in the quiva. I purposely reduce camber in all my mostly backcountry dedicated skis, so, having previously stored em strapped at the waist only had positive, intended effects on the ones that had been modified...it maintained the 'less camber' profile.

Name:  P1120900.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  109.6 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 02-26-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.