Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Lacrosse

2020 Lacrosse

Lots of talent out there this spring, but I think the Orangemen are going to find their ol’ mojo this year.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

I haven't spent a ton of time looking at it but Cuse does seem pretty loaded. I'm rooting for the Terps and they should be there all year.

For those who miss the Laxpower forums, there's been kind of a reboot at fanlax.com, they copied the format and supposedly they have the laxpower forum archives but I haven't gotten into it far enough to really know. Not sure how long it's been around, I found it pretty recently. Forums home: http://fanlax.com/forum/index.php They also have a main page with rankings and news and whatnot.

Wondered if I was the only mag over on the backup stick.

I'm not sold on Cuse - yesterday they went around 80% at the dot, had a keeper turn in a career game and still just squeaked out a win over Army in the Dome.

Heh... I upgraded to HULU Live just to get easy access to all the ACC games right now. Wahoos vs Princeton was worth it on day one. Not much time to watch this time of year though. Ski team + lax season starting for grom. So PLL became the vice last year. I hope the league survives/flourishes, but it seems like it's hard for lax to find its big break as a spectator sport. Box lax in Canuckistan maybe an exception because it's similar enough to hockey.

I miss the days when Syracuse would win every year.

I just got a drunk birthday present from myself.
    Last edited by mattig; 02-26-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Drunk you is a pretty nice guy!

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Heh... I upgraded to HULU Live just to get easy access to all the ACC games right now. Wahoos vs Princeton was worth it on day one. Not much time to watch this time of year though. Ski team + lax season starting for grom. So PLL became the vice last year. I hope the league survives/flourishes, but it seems like it's hard for lax to find its big break as a spectator sport. Box lax in Canuckistan maybe an exception because it's similar enough to hockey.
    Agree on the HULU Live for both ACC and BIG lax coverage. Finally got around to watching Penn St. vs. Yale the other night - that was a good game.

I also made the step up to coaching HS lacrosse as an assistant this year. We'll see how that goes.

Any experienced adult player/coach mags in the Reno / Truckee / North Tahoe area ping me.

If you aren't aware, lax is growing in our area, finally. Youth and adult programs provide opportunities to coach, play or get your littleMags introduced to the sport.
    Plenty of volunteer coaching and assisting opportunities in the Truckee Tribe, North Tahoe and Reno youth programs for boys and girls.

A few current items:

HSLL is looking for experienced coaches for the Avalanche Select youth team.

The Truckee Cannibals (casual Truckee adult pickup) and Tahoe Dawgs (more competitive, based in Reno, travel to national tournaments possible) are always looking for experienced players of all ages.

The Truckee Cannibals are looking for older experienced players 39+ YO to help form a super masters team for the Lake Tahoe Lacrosse Tournament. If we don't get enough interest we just play Masters.

Get on the Truckee Cannibals Lacrosse email list, or ask questions, email me at:
    Cannibals ( no space ) lax at gee mail dot com

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I miss the days when Syracuse would win every year.
    They looked really good last night. Hung 21 on Hobart.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gorillas take down Yale. Great game
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7182.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	318098

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    Gorillas take down Yale. Great game
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7182.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	318098
    Very cool. I'd be stoked if UMass was good this year.

I just saw that Penn State's Grant Ament will not return for the additional season granted by the NCAA. I wonder how many seniors will take the extra season or just move on with their lives. A small road bump in the larger picture of life, but not being able to compete as a senior must be a terrible disappointment that will take some time to understand and make peace with.

I think for the general fan, this year would've been a great one. Ament, Teat and Sowers were just doing incredible things and I would've like to have watched the Orange grab another title. Such is life in the time of Covid19.

Stay safe all.

Friend's son was set to start this year for Fairfield as a freshman but blew his knee out in practice the day before the first game. He was gonna redshirt but didn't get all the paperwork in before it all got canceled. So I guess he could still get a redshirt year and be playing until he's about 30. He'd be like Hakeem Lecky!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Friend's son was set to start this year for Fairfield as a freshman but blew his knee out in practice the day before the first game. He was gonna redshirt but didn't get all the paperwork in before it all got canceled. So I guess he could still get a redshirt year and be playing until he's about 30. He'd be like Hakeem Lecky!
    Hakeem Lecky. Ha! Like the cuban pitchers, you really never knew his age.

Ridiculous alley dodge though.

Pietramala out at Hopkins: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...jwy-story.html

Apparently Hop is miffed he hasn't won any games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Hakeem Lecky. Ha! Like the cuban pitchers, you really never knew his age.

Ridiculous alley dodge though.

Yeah Hakeem played HS lax in the town my parents lived in for many years, Duxbury, Mass. Got to see him play in HS and then like 10-12 years later at Cuse.

Pietramala out at Hopkins: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...jwy-story.html

I figured this would have happened a while ago, but then I saw his accomplishments as a coach and he was still competitive. Granted not as good as JHU’s mid 2000’s, but still qualifying for the NCAAs and a final four here and there.

Syracuse’s Desko is the last of the old guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Syracuse’s Desko is the last of the old guard.
    Well, Tierney and Danowski are pretty old school.

Well, Tierney and Danowski are pretty old school.
    Yes. Very true.

Kid and I were talking this morning...in the fucked up world nowadays, what if Belicheck moved to coaching Hopkins?

There's some tongue-in-cheek speculation about Belichick on the fanlax board.

I'll always have an ax to grind with Hopkins after their 2017 team skated into the tourney with a ~.500 record at the expense of a 12-4 Army team but I grew up watching/emulating/idolizing Petro, so he will always be a legend to me. He actually sat down next to me at one of my kid's tourney games last summer, but I couldn't bring myself to pester the poor guy. I hope he gets some quality time with his boys and finds another team to coach when he's ready.

My kid went to Hopkins camp a couple times, I got to meet Petro a few times. Nice guy, extremely easy to tell he's a Long Island guy. For both better and worse. Competitive, driven, abrasive. And of course the accent. To me, watching from a distance, he hasn't seemed that interested the past few years. Probably sick of dealing with an administration that wants W's but also has high academic standards has been my take. He'll find someplace to go.

I was thinking about Petro and got into reading about Mike Pressler last night. That guy was a stud as a head coach at Duke, young, on the upswing, he was National Coach of the Year the year before the whole Duke Lacrosse thing (didn't) happen. Totally unfair and wrong that he got run out of town for that.

But he's been up at Bryant College in RI since '06, has had pretty good success considering the size of the school and the conference and the resources available, and he's made what seems like a good life out of it. Seems happy there from what I can tell. Hopefully Petro finds something similar.

There's some tongue-in-cheek speculation about Belichick on the fanlax board.  

I'll always have an ax to grind with Hopkins after their 2017 team skated into the tourney with a ~.500 record at the expense of a 12-4 Army team but I grew up watching/emulating/idolizing Petro, so he will always be a legend to me.  He actually sat down next to me at one of my kid's tourney games last summer, but he looked like hammered shit and I couldn't bring myself to pester the poor guy.  I hope he gets some rest, lots of quality time with his boys and finds another team to coach when he's ready.   

My kid played for Cornell under Richie Moran the year before they ended his 26 years as coach. I say "played" but he was pre season practicing as back up goalie and Rich suggested my boy change his major so he could get to practice on time. At the LAX banquet he noticed most of the alums were unemployed so he joined the Rugby club. Perhaps old coaches loose the ability to understand the changing world and needs of the players?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.