Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    vodka is actually just watered down everclear so it actually is a better price to mix it yourself and you will potentially get a higher quality product that way
    Higher quality product in Vodka delivers much less of a hangover. I doubt mixing everclear will give me anything but a horrible hangover. If I'm wrong, that's OK, not gonna take that chance again.

But alcohol is alcohol, right? And Everclear is what, 95% alcohol? It has always seemed to me that Everclear and good water should be a good as any vodka.

*unless it's that 5% that gets you, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    EW White > EW Black > EW Green.

Seriously, the white label is where it's at. Just don't tell your friends. I don't want to lose another favorite cheap bottle to over-populization.
    I'll have to look for that.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I'll have to look for that.
    Yep - so the difference is, it's Bottled in Bond, which is actually a government standard for whisky production. It guarantees that the whiskey is:

- Minimum 100 proof (so way better bang for your buck than whatever 80 proof juice you got)
    - Aged 4 years (over the standard two years)
    - From a single, bonded distillery from a single production run (meaning it's not blended stock, and it's not from different years).

EW WL BiB is seriously a steal. I've been to a number of high end restaurants and been surprised to find it as the house whisky at quite a few places - in Salt Lake City, both Table X and HSL use EW WL BiB as their house (mixing) bourbon. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    But alcohol is alcohol, right? And Everclear is what, 95% alcohol? It has always seemed to me that Everclear and good water should be a good as any vodka.

*unless it's that 5% that gets you, I guess.
    I just want Everclear to make Simpson oil. In Poland, I tasted unimaginably good vodka that would shame any Everclear I've ever seen stateside. But I'm not much of a drinker.

Everclwar + Fiji glacial water= baller drink?

Beam bonded is actually real good for the money if you see it anyplace- wasn’t the most successful product launch I ever saw but the quality is there

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Jamison. I'll order it over anything more or less expensive, every time.
    Bushmills

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Bushmills

PROTESTANT SWILL!!!!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Lol

True

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Bush-millsTGR Forums
    Straight up!

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    PROTESTANT SWILL!!!!
    Better than that overly sweet Catholic piss Jameson's!

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Jamison. I'll order it over anything more or less expensive, every time.

Jameson caskmates (stout version) is my favorite of the $25-ish a bottle whiskey these days.

EW Black for mixing

Yep - so the difference is, it's Bottled in Bond, which is actually a government standard for whisky production. It guarantees that the whiskey is:

- Minimum 100 proof (so way better bang for your buck than whatever 80 proof juice you got)
    - Aged 4 years (over the standard two years)
    - From a single, bonded distillery from a single production run (meaning it's not blended stock, and it's not from different years).

EW WL BiB is seriously a steal. I've been to a number of high end restaurants and been surprised to find it as the house whisky at quite a few places - in Salt Lake City, both Table X and HSL use EW WL BiB as their house (mixing) bourbon. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
    Interesting! Normally the 1783 is my go-to affordable bourbon but thanks to you guys, gonna give the Bottled in Bond a try. Had to make a bourbon/brandy run just now so snagged both for an A/B taste test. I pay the cheaper prices listed on the right of the tags so score!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200224_205400.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	317325

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Here is my great, cheap alcohol list - prices are in Utard. YMMV.

Bourbons:

- Evan Williams White Label Bottled in Bond ($10-14/750ml)
    - Wild Turkey 101 ($19-25/750ml)
    - Old Granddad BiB ($20ish)
    - Old Crow Reserve ($15ish)
    - Henry McKenna Single Barrel Bottled in Bond ($30ish and just stupid good)
    - Larceny Wheated Bourbon ($20ish, also great)

Ryes:

- Rittenhouse Rye ($25/bottle and PHENOMENAL)
    - Sazerac Rye ($25/bottle)

Scotch:

- Trader Joes Old Finlaggan Reserve (not in Utah, but $19 or so and honestly a decent peated islay)
    - Jura 10 (good, cheap single malt highland - $40 ish?)
    - Monkey Shoulder (great blended speyside, $30, seriously, this stuff is amazing)

Rums:

- Flor de Cana 7
    - Barbencourt 8 year Haitian Rhum
    - Plantation (anything by them, really, but their pineapple rum is mindblowing and usually like $25)

Gins:

- Beefeater
    - Dented Brick Well Gin (if you're in utah...this stuff is like $11/bottle and honestly great for gin and tonics)
    I was gonna say that Jura is not highland whisky but goddam you’re right it is. The more you know.

I heard that Costco’s highland whisky is made at Macallan. Haven’t tasted it but heard it’s good value.

Where's the love for Old Overshoes rye?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I've heard a number of people recommend the 1783, but it's never done much for me. A little cloying, maybe?

I'm a fan of New Amsterdam Gin and Vodka for gin and tonics and general mixing, respectively. Overhold and Grandad too. Espolon tequila seems to bat above its price point.

Kirkland vodka

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I was gonna say that Jura is not highland whisky but goddam you’re right it is. The more you know.

I heard that Costco’s highland whisky is made at Macallan. Haven’t tasted it but heard it’s good value.
    God, I wish I could get Costco Whisky in Utah. Trader Joe's also has a ton of nice malts that are all white-labeled, some nice than others. Haven't really had anything bad from Costco though..

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Where's the love for Old Overshoes rye?
    Old Overholt is a great Rye, especially for mixing. $15-17

Heaven Hill Bourbon the same. $13-15 or $20 for the 1.75
    Put it in a decanter and no one but you knows.

four Roses was my staple but price has gone up,

OGD 113 as mentioned in Bourbon thread is great, also cheap.

Best Blended Scotch for the $ is Monkey Shoulder usually less than $30

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I've heard a number of people recommend the 1783, but it's never done much for me. A little cloying, maybe?
    I could see that. It is on the sweeter side of bourbons for sure, so if that's not your preference then I'd understand. I still like it a lot for the money, but I don't mind a sweeter bourbon.

I'm a fan of New Amsterdam Gin and Vodka for gin and tonics and general mixing, respectively. Overhold and Grandad too. Espolon tequila seems to bat above its price point.
    DEFINITELY yes on the New Amsterdam gin. Fantastic bang for the buck. Especially if you're going for a reliable G&T. Haven't tried their vodka yet.

In the vodka world, I think Rain's pretty good for the money. Nifty bottle too!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    four Roses was my staple but price has gone up,
    Yeah! What's up with the price hike?! It's also why I haven't bought it in a while. Used to be one of the best for the money. Now it's not nearly as much of a value proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Yeah! What's up with the price hike?! It's also why I haven't bought it in a while. Used to be one of the best for the money. Now it's not nearly as much of a value proposition.
    Man, I don't know where you guys are, but Four Roses is still super cheap here. Small batch is like $30 and single barrel is $35 (in Evanston anyway). I honestly don't get yellow label too often - small batch is the sweet spot between quality and cost.

I've been buying Islay Mist lately. It's an 8 year old Islay blend that uses Laphroig (and maybe other) whiskey.

In Ontario it's $34 CAD, which is a steal. For reference, Monkey Shoulder is $53 CAD.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I've been buying Islay Mist lately. It's an 8 year old Islay blend that uses Laphroig (and maybe other) whiskey.

In Ontario it's $34 CAD, which is a steal. For reference, Monkey Shoulder is $53 CAD.
    Huh, yeah, I would mess with that. is it heavily peated? Here Monkey Shoulder is $30 but can be found sometimes for $25 or so. Great bottle.