Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I've been looking for Talisker Distillers Edition and am unable to find it around here. I can find the 18 yr, but I don't want to spend $130. I had the Distillers Edition in a restaurant and it was fantastic. It was that whisky that made me seek out other Distillers Edition whiskys and so far I haven't been disappointed. They tend to be finished in sherry or port casks and for me the smokey and briny whiskys really do well with the sweet notes of sherry or port casks.
    send me your address and i'll send you a little bottle of Talisker Distiller's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3005.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	322915

This could pose a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3005.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	322915

This could pose a problem
    hope your local has the EW Bottled in Bond, $19, 100 proof, tasty

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    hope your local has the EW Bottled in Bond, $19, 100 proof, tasty
    Yeah, gonna look for that one

Molly's Irish Cream is a really great option to the other overpriced, most popular one.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post

Not bad. A bit sweeter than western vodkas.
    . . .

is this the stuff y'all are recommending? My bourbon is almost out, I am mostly a mixer anyway so high quality stuff ain't necessary.

Name:  104726.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  21.0 KB
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^I ponied up for a bottle of the white label vs. my usual green label for mixers this week. Can confirm that its decent for the price. Stronger than green or black label too so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    ^I ponied up for a bottle of the white label vs. my usual green label for mixers this week. Can confirm that its decent for the price. Stronger than green or black label too so there's that.
    I picked up a couple of bottles a few weeks ago when I was panic buying. It's pretty good, I typically drink bourbon neat, but I felt like the white label benefited from an ice cube.

Rittenhouse for the win -- No Rye at that price point comes close, and it the equal of ryes 2 to 3 times its price
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Quote Originally Posted by robgoose View Post
    Rittenhouse for the win -- No Rye at that price point comes close, and it the equal of ryes 2 to 3 times its price
    Unfortunately, I bought Utah out of Rittenhouse back in 2018.

^ I honestly think I prefer the bonded old overcoat

I was starting to worry that I’ll get low on WT101 for cocktails over the next week or 2, but remembered that I have a Four Roses Small Batch and an IW Harper that I was gifted last year. Just as well drain those first.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    ^ I honestly think I prefer the bonded old overcoat
    Did you see that Beam is dusting off that label and moving it upmarket?

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Re Scotch, Talisker Storm is now running about $40 per bottle. I'm a big fan. Smoke and salt of Lagavaulin but not the bandaid or oily mouthfeel. Some might find it more dumbed-down, but I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Talisker is my favorite distillery overall. I try to keep Storm and 10 stocked as they are often my go to whiskys. Lagavulin Distillers Edition is my favorite whisky and the 16 is also great, but for bang for the buck Talisker is hard to beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    talisker storm is fantastic because 1. it tastes like talisker and 2. you can mix with it without feeling guilty - try a talisker old fashioned or a talisker sazerac, fucking amazing.

i have both talisker distiller's edition and talisker 18, talisker is far and away my favorite distillery.
    After all the recs around here for Talisker Storm, I finally got around to ponying up for a bottle to celebrate my first paycheck in ages (woohoo!).

Anyway, perhaps it's because I'm a total Scotch novice, but good golly this stuff if HEAVY on the smokey peat. Was almost like drinking a cigar. I kinda liked it, but also kind of have mixed feelings. Perhaps it's an acquired taste. Will definitely enjoy the rest of the bottle but going to take me longer to finish than my usual bourbon, that's for certain.

Maybe I just need to experience Scotch more. Sometimes I get a hankering, but the price usually keeps me from getting into it. Too expensive to explore as opposed to bourbons, rums, etc.

Did I just go full K12 (Better off Dead ref) when I should have started out on the Scotch bunny slope?

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post

Did I just go full K12 (Better off Dead ref) when I should have started out on the Scotch bunny slope?
    Yes. You should start with a Speyside

After all the recs around here for Talisker Storm, I finally got around to ponying up for a bottle to celebrate my first paycheck in ages (woohoo!).

Anyway, perhaps it's because I'm a total Scotch novice, but good golly this stuff if HEAVY on the smokey peat. Was almost like drinking a cigar. I kinda liked it, but also kind of have mixed feelings. Perhaps it's an acquired taste. Will definitely enjoy the rest of the bottle but going to take me longer to finish than my usual bourbon, that's for certain.

Maybe I just need to experience Scotch more. Sometimes I get a hankering, but the price usually keeps me from getting into it. Too expensive to explore as opposed to bourbons, rums, etc.

I love talisker but didn't care for Storm. There's a reason it's on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Yes. You should start with a Speyside
    don't listen to this malarkey, just man up and embrace the peat. speysides are for people who like to talk about their feelings and parse the nuance between "plum" and "peach" flavors. try mixing with that bottle of storm - like make an oldfashioned, but use the storm instead of whatever bourbon.

if you want a real peat monster for cheap, check out "Old Finlaggan" at Trader Joe's. It's like $20. and a serious, serious peat bomb - a lot of scotch experts think that it's a whitelabeled Laguvulin 6 or a young Laphroaig. makes the storm seem like a tempest in a teacup compared to the raging north atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    I love talisker but didn't care for Storm. There's a reason it's on sale.
    i mean yeah but it's also unrealistic to compare storm to the nicer taliskers. it's $30 or whatever. for $30, it's great. is it as complex as talisker18? jesus no. is it as fruity as talisker distillers? does the pope shit in the woods?

compared to other widely available $30 speciality scotches, it's a decent value. monkey shoulder or the aforementioned old finlaggan are the only ones that comes close IMO, and they're both very different (monkey is less peaty, while old finalaggan is significantly more peaty). you could have a decent spread of scotch with those three bottles on your bar.

Agreed. I wanted to like Storm more though. For 30 bucks, I'd still rather drink something smokey/woody and American.

In other news, I picked up some Balvenie double wood on sale. Bowls right down the middle. Great value at whatever I paid for it, maybe 40 -50?

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Balvenie double wood
    yes!

I like the double wood. After the recommendations around here for Monkey Shoulder I picked up a bottle. Didn't knock my socks off. I'd swap it for a bottle of Storm in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    I like the double wood. After the recommendations around here for Monkey Shoulder I picked up a bottle. Didn't knock my socks off. I'd swap it for a bottle of Storm in a heartbeat.
    monkey shoulder is just a good all arounder - sweet, inoffensive, no weird off flavors. if you want something louder/stronger there are definitely better choices. i think it's good "bar scotch" for people who don't really like scotch at all.

Talisker is more like briny peat than smoky peat like Ardbeg or laphaoig to me. I do agree with others that Talisker is not a scotch I'd recommend for a scotch novice. It is my favorite distillery, but for a novice I'd recommend something like Aberfeldy 12, Glenfiddich 12 or 14, or even Glenmorange 10 as these are fairly friendly. I'm not the biggest fan of Glenlivet 12 as I find it boring, but it is another easy drinking scotch. If you want to ease you way into peat then Highland Park 12 or Oban Little Bay or 14 are good starting points, but it certainly would call these inexpensive.

I've recommended scotch that is sherry cask aged or finished for bourbon lovers as these whiskys seem to be closer to the sweeter notes of bourbon.