Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 165
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,221
    I wouldn't call it heavily peated, but there's definitely a good amount of it. The body is a bit thin, but I can forgive that.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,985
    All these sub $20 of bourbon are all of you making mix drinks with that? I don't know that I've found a $20 bottle id regularly sip. Just wondering if im missing something.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    11,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    All these sub $20 of bourbon are all of you making mix drinks with that? I don't know that I've found a $20 bottle id regularly sip. Just wondering if im missing something.
    Wild Turkey 101 generally rings up around $20-21 at places like Total Wine. Sips very well.
    And I guess that I just don't know

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Wild Turkey 101 generally rings up around $20-21 at places like Total Wine. Sips very well.
    Agreed. Wild Turkey 101's always a solid choice.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    419
    I like all the WT 101 love on here. I’ve been singing it’s praises for years. I met the Russels a couple times too. They’re quality people in my opinion.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Wild Turkey 101 generally rings up around $20-21 at places like Total Wine. Sips very well.
    Yes I suppose that one does. Guess I'll have to try a few more. My wallet would be thankful. My $45/50 bottle normal choices could be halved.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,513
    OG BIB is my staple if I'm being cheap.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    324
    WT 101 is the standard for good, cheap bourbon. I dare you to find a better bottle at a cheaper price. In fact - a lot of people spend way more on bottles that are objectively worse (Basel Hayden, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, the list goes on...).

    For an equivalent rye bottle, Sazerac rye (at $25) or Rittenhouse (around $20) are both every bit as good as WT101.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,985
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    WT 101 is the standard for good, cheap bourbon. I dare you to find a better bottle at a cheaper price. In fact - a lot of people spend way more on bottles that are objectively worse (Basel Hayden, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, the list goes on...).

    For an equivalent rye bottle, Sazerac rye (at $25) or Rittenhouse (around $20) are both every bit as good as WT101.
    wow our palettes are much different. No way is WT better than anything, but maybe that knob creek which I think is overrated anyway...

    Im thinking of attending the World of Whiskey event thats local in March...
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    wow our palettes are much different. No way is WT better than anything, but maybe that knob creek which I think is overrated anyway...
    Just FYI, WT is a different product than WT 101. Don't know which you were referring to, but there's a pretty big difference. Standard WT is meh IMO, but 101 is quite good.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    15
    FWIW, I'll throw Buffalo Trace into the ring! ~$25 for 750ml, does that qualify?

  12. #87
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,985
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Just FYI, WT is a different product than WT 101. Don't know which you were referring to, but there's a pretty big difference. Standard WT is meh IMO, but 101 is quite good.
    I was referring to 101. Just don't think it's better than Woodford or basel

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,164
    Did the Evan Williams white label BiB vs 1783 A/B taste test last night. Tried them neat and on ice. Gonna be straight up in that I didn't really dig the white label that much. Had a funky finish that I can't quite put my finger on (perhaps peppery?), however others may actually LIKE the flavors so don't take my word for it. My opinion is obviously subjective. Either way, it WILL make for a fantastic mixer so I'm not complaining I picked up a bottle. Between the two, I'll stick to my EW 1783 as my usual for the extra $3 on a handle.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I was referring to 101. Just don't think it's better than Woodford or basel
    Oh, I agree with you there. I DEFINITELY prefer Basel but it's also like twice the price. More of a special occasion bourbon for me, whereas 101 can be a cheap go-to.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,985
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Oh, I agree with you there. I DEFINITELY prefer Basel but it's also like twice the price. More of a special occasion bourbon for me, whereas 101 can be a cheap go-to.
    That i am with you 100% on....for the price WT 101 is one of the better ones.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Oh, I agree with you there. I DEFINITELY prefer Basel but it's also like twice the price. More of a special occasion bourbon for me, whereas 101 can be a cheap go-to.
    Sorry guys, I'm the outlier here on this one I guess. Basel is good in the way that vanilla ice cream is good; smooth but lacking character. WT101 has a lot going on; sure, it's a little hot, but if I were interested in drinking "smooth" things, I'd be all over Crown Royal.

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA
    Did the Evan Williams white label BiB vs 1783 A/B taste test last night. Tried them neat and on ice. Gonna be straight up in that I didn't really dig the white label that much. Had a funky finish that I can't quite put my finger on (perhaps peppery?), however others may actually LIKE the flavors so don't take my word for it. My opinion is obviously subjective. Either way, it WILL make for a fantastic mixer so I'm not complaining I picked up a bottle. Between the two, I'll stick to my EW 1783 as my usual for the extra $3 on a handle.
    Same goes here. I think EW BiB is great, complex, and maybe a little rough around the edges. Definitely has some oak notes in it, not as smooth but overall much more complex dram.

    I guess - for me, my home base is strong rye whiskies. I like bourbon but even fancy bourbons taste a little basic; bland and uninspiring (don't get me started on Blanton's or people who pay $80 for that shit).

    How about Eagle Rare 10 year? Can we all agree that for $30, that is one fine bottle of whiskey?

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    10,473
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    How about Eagle Rare 10 year? Can we all agree that for $30, that is one fine bottle of whiskey?
    Hallelugia!
    Preach on brother tgapp, preach on

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,164
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    How about Eagle Rare 10 year? Can we all agree that for $30, that is one fine bottle of whiskey?
    Ashamed to admit that I haven't yet tried it. Will add it to the shopping list for my next trip though!

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Ashamed to admit that I haven't yet tried it. Will add it to the shopping list for my next trip though!
    SHAME! SHAME!!

    Just kidding. But if you're in Utah I'll share a pour with you.

    Also, on that note, Henry McKenna 10 Year Single Barrel Bottled in Bond. So good. Soooo gooooooood.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,985
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    SHAME! SHAME!!

    Just kidding. But if you're in Utah I'll share a pour with you.

    Also, on that note, Henry McKenna 10 Year Single Barrel Bottled in Bond. So good. Soooo gooooooood.
    the mckenna is very nice, but i do disagree on the Basel...I dont mind the bite that WT 101 has, but thats what lets me know its on the cheaper end of the scale. Least thats me...everyone likes what they like..
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    the mckenna is very nice, but i do disagree on the Basel...I dont mind the bite that WT 101 has, but thats what lets me know its on the cheaper end of the scale. Least thats me...everyone likes what they like..
    hahaha yep! i don't blame you; my home base beyond rye whiskies are heavily peated islays, and so if my whiskey isn't smashing my balls with 4" stilettos, I don't really know if it's whiskey or not. easy sipping bourbon just tastes like peaches and cream; i want something that is fighting and provoking me every step of the way.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Loveland, Chair 9.
    Posts
    4,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Smirnoff vodka.
    Russian standard or green mark, popular with the Russians
    Eat em up Houston Cougars !

  23. #98
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,985
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    hahaha yep! i don't blame you; my home base beyond rye whiskies are heavily peated islays, and so if my whiskey isn't smashing my balls with 4" stilettos, I don't really know if it's whiskey or not. easy sipping bourbon just tastes like peaches and cream; i want something that is fighting and provoking me every step of the way.
    Ha...funny....

    Yeah rye isnt my favorite and peat is exactly why i dont drink scotch..takes like medicine to me...

    I dig congac too, but havent seen anyone chiming in there..

    Anything Pierre Ferrand is the bees knees.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SFCA
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by blender View Post
    Flor de Cana 7 year old rum.
    For the fucking win. Although, I don't appreciate the US prices. 4 Year is shit, 7 is good, 12 is shit, 18 is great, 21 is a waste, 25 is a motherfucking party in my mouth.

    Night I met my wife, we went through seven handles of that shit. Maybe 15 people present.

    Used to have a Flor sticker on my truck....

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    367
    My $0.02: BH is overpriced, underproofed OGD. When someone tells me it’s their favorite bourbon, it’s likely they aren’t really into whiskey. Especially if they call it “smooth.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •