Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    have you checked your local Subaru dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    even ski touring (admittedly not overhead) where I am using my poles constantly for pushing.
    You're doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

They are the best for activities when you need to use your arms a lot with overhead shoulder motion, like climbing, or for me even ski touring (admittedly not overhead) where I am using my poles constantly for pushing. They don't restrict your shoulder range of motion. For lift served skiing prob doesn't matter as much, but the difference when swinging ice tools overhead is pretty profound.
    This is the first time I've seen someone articulate why they would want a vest (they've never made sense to me). I guess I can sort of see it. I have a fleece vest I got as corporate swag 15+ years ago and I think I've worn it once.

Kinda hanging' around with some turtlenecks
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

IME polartech 100s tights were pretty handy for skiing/ paddling/ biking/ out door activities, I got fleece that is 25 yars old maybe the problem is the stuff never wore out whereas merino bugs my skin and gets a hole if I look at it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Vests have never made any sense to me. But they make nice corporate swag, I guess
    I remember seeing an article somewhere long ago talking about how the fleece vest had replaced the suit jacket in corporate 'merika

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I remember seeing an article somewhere long ago talking about how the fleece vest had replaced the suit jacket in corporate 'merika
    Wall Street Journal had an article.

Here’s another - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buz...o-see-if-id-be

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    That's why Bunny couldn't find one. 99% of U.S. fleece vest inventory is being shipped to Wall Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Vests are dumb, fleece or down. Next thing you know you guys will be wearing down skirts.
    Because you lose most of your heat from your core, why wouldn't you want an extra layer over your arms where you don't need it, with the added "bonus" of restricted motion?

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    My wool icebreaker vest is probably my most used piece of outdoor clothing. I often skin in only a thermal top and vest. Almost all lift serve days it is my main insulation. Perfect for summer hiking, BBQs, blah, blah...

I usually get too hot in a puffy jacket unless it's really cold out or I am just standing around. Once upon a time almost everyone I knew had a vest of some type in the backcountry Vests are hugely versatile just not as cool as more modern options I guess.
    Not fleece, but I recently pulled a WindStopper Eider vest from the back of my closet and put it back into my layering rotation. It's great on the up-track: base layer + midlayer + vest or just the base layer + vest.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Kilt, down kilts....
    Next thread: what to wear under them.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I layer with a fleece vest. Recently, (within the past 2 years), I picked one up at the GMD ski shop and another one up at the DV signature store on Main Street in PC
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Synthetic insulation that is air permeable like the nano air or ventrix is lighter than equivalent fleece pieces.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    That's why Bunny couldn't find one. 99% of U.S. fleece vest inventory is being shipped to Wall Street.
    Yup, the quilted ones seem even more popular. To remind us that they own racehorses?

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Because you lose most of your heat from your core, why wouldn't you want an extra layer over your arms where you don't need it
    ... Thom
    Like an ungulate.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Vests have never made any sense to me. But they make nice corporate swag, I guess
    Better than dressing like this--
    Name:  randy.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  73.7 KB

Hooded vest

Ykhikyag
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Or New Hampshire?
    Speaking of New Hampshire, there ya go https://www.chuckroast.com/store.php

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Kilt, down kilts....
    Don’t stop there...

https://houdinisportswear.com/en-de/...olor=649944900

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Tell me a color, size, and whether you want a fundraiser, insurance, bank, car dealership, or (yacht/snowmobile/country) club logo, and I can probably get one to you for about $10. The local thrift stores are inundated with the damn things.

They are the best for activities when you need to use your arms a lot with overhead shoulder motion, like climbing, or for me even ski touring (admittedly not overhead) where I am using my poles constantly for pushing. They don't restrict your shoulder range of motion. For lift served skiing prob doesn't matter as much, but the difference when swinging ice tools overhead is pretty profound.
    Vests are also nice for ski touring because you can put them on and take them off quickly. Sleeves can get hung up on gloves or base layers, and jackets also take up more room in a pack. When conditions are right a vest is the perfect way to add just enough warmth or wind protection.

For the first time, I went looking for one. A nice light softshell or fleece vest. Couldn't really find one. Costco is already past their softshell season, I guess. Some of those hybrids are cheap enough that you could just cut off the arms.
    I noticed there are still a lot for women. I saw some heavier ones for men. no idea.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.