Tucson or Prescott - March 1-3

Coming down to Arizona from Montana for a few days off the skis and on the pedals. Flying into PHX and considering either riding in Prescott or Tucson for a few days. I have been to Tucson but never ridden and have not yet visited Prescott.

Question is, seeing that I am a little more than a week out, who has the better trails this time of year? Looking for fun flowy trails (wife will run) and would love to hear recommended rides (must rides) for both areas. Is the weather right now enough to steer south to Tucson or??

Not bringing my bike so good shop recommendations would be nice as well.

Thanks a ton guys!!!!

I would think higher elev stuff in Prescott would have snow right now. Plus they're getting the same storm this weekend that is rolling through Socal. Lower stuff should be fine. Temps would be a bit chilly but probably seem nice coming from MT.

Phx and Tucson are prime right now. That's where I'd be. Have you ridden much in Phoenix? Browns Ranch has a ton of stuff that would fit the bill. Gold Canyon would be perfect too, or Hawes.

Thanks! Good to know about the Prescott trails right now. Figured it may be a little early. Have not ridden PHX and may consider a day there as well after Tucson if we go that way. Weather is definitely looking better in Tucson...

What rides are recommended in Tucson? Lemon looks fun and long (may be too much this time but a possibility...any can’t miss non dh bike sections?). Star Pass/Enchanted hills looks fun and flowy....

Also good shops to rent from? Looks like Sonoran Cycles has the good stuff.
    May rent in phx as it looks like there are more options

Breweries look like Pueblo Vida, Borderlands and Dragoon.....
    Last edited by Gaffney10; 02-23-2020 at 06:51 AM.

Don't know bike rentals so can't recommend there.

For trail riding Bugs-Prison-Milagrosa on Mt Lemmon is a great shuttle run. It's chunky descending though, not great for running. But maybe wife can drop you off up there for a lap. Bugs has a couple steep hike a bikes on it, then there is another one going across the hwy to AZT which takes you up and over a ridge before descending to Milagrosa. This is probably a better ride to not do alone. You can do just Bugs/Prison or Milagrosa on their own too. The full Lemmon drop from the top won't be available yet. Worth doing when it is, its a burly full day ride.

Other rides that are good - 50 Year trail system / Catalina State Park a bit north of town. Honeybee trails across the highway from them are pretty nice.

AZT south of Tucson - pretty much all of it to around 10 mi south of Hwy 83. This is all point to point so you'd either do an out and back or get picked up somewhere.

I've ridden Star Pass once, can't say I'd call it flowy. The trails I rode weren't. On the west side of Tucson Mtn park there is some flowy trail, its pretty flat desert back there.

Sweetwater trails are supposed to be nice and flowy desert riding. Haven't been there.

On the way down or back, there is a small network in Casa Grande right at the I-8 / I-10 interchange that is pretty good, and small loops that would be perfect for riding / running.

If you haven't ridden Phx don't discount it. There is tons of great riding there.

Seconding what Evdog said, the weather down here is really nice right now. It will feel like perfect spring temps to you. I would be shocked if there is any snow in Prescott, but they did pick up a ton of rain yesterday and my guess is things will still be wet for another week +.

I’ve never ridden south of Phx, but if you do come up here for a day South Mtn would be first on my list. There is a decent amount of climbing but it’s worth it for the downhills. The really fun stuff is shuttle-able except for Sundays.

Phoenix Mtn Preserve also has some fun trails that IMO are more flowy and less technical than South Mtn. Definitely more runner friendly. A good spot to park is right off the 51 at Dreamy Draw rec area

Agreed with Evdog (which is always a safe bet). I've tried to ride Prescott in April and gotten snowed out. Check out the Black Canyon Trail too
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...-bct-imba-epic

And we might be heading down that way the last week of March. Thanks for the beta.

You guys rock!!! Thanks so much for the beta!! Definitely going to try to get in Bugs/Prison along with a few other rides.

Definitely will also try to get a PHX ride in especially if I rent from a shop there prior to heading south.

If you guys are ever in the Bozeman area hit me up!!

Changing to PHX instead and possibly Tuesday in Sedona (tbd) due to rain in Tucson Mon and Tues

What trails are cannot miss trails in the phx area? Hiked the Superstitions today with the wife and had a blast. Thinking South Mountain tomorrow and maybe another ride. Should my 2nd choice be phx mtn reserve or? May try black canyon as well. What trails in south mtn are must do?

Probably renting a sb130 in the am from Curbside after calling a few spots.

Had pints at Wren House last night and as always they were A+!
    Last edited by Gaffney10; 03-01-2020 at 11:33 PM.

There is a trail network called Gold Canyon right at the base of the Superstitions that is pretty fun. See my recent Phx TR - we rode there twice. There is a good mix of fast/flowy desert riding and tech. Its all on Trailforks app. A bit further east is the Arizona trail. You can do an out and back south from Picketpost trailhead as far as you want to go. People commonly turn around at the 7.5 (FR4 x-ing), 10, 12, 14 mile points. There is a new trail called Arnett Canyon that you can use to make a loop if you ride out to FR4.

South Mtn is fun, and steps it up a notch or two tech-wise. Hard miles. For a few hours ride, you can start at the Beveryly trailhead off Baseline Rd, climb up Javelina to Mormon Tr and then loop it up and back down National. You could also drop down one of Mormon, Geronimo, Holbert and then ride the road back if you want even more tech. But National is worth descending too. Another option is to start at Pima Canyon TH, climb up to Mormon, take National out, descend Corona de Loma (techy descent) and return on Desert Classic (flat-ish, fast xc).

For other systems I like Browns Ranch, FINS, McDowell Mtns. I don't know the rest very well. I'm sure each one has some good riding and some not so good trails. Personally if you have 3 days I'd ride systems that aren't a huge drive. Phx is pretty big. Sedona and BCT are cool but that's a lot of driving for a day ride.

For another food recco, check out Arizona Wilderness Brewing in Gilbert. It's not far from South Mtn. They have good food.

Bumping this for Evdogs recommendations. We're headed south from Driggs on March 21 or 22, plan to hit Cedar City then Hurricane/ st George, then see friends in Flagstaff, then swing wide and east over to Globe, Superior, etc. Back home by April 6 or 7 in time to get my knee replaced on April 14.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Bumping this to see if anybody has any Globe riding info.
    Considering a rally down to Tucson next weekend and Globe is on the way. Any advice on trails? Directions?
    Looking at Trailforks it seems like climbing the dirt roads and descending trails is the ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm don't think anything on Pinal Mtn is rideable right now. The area burned a couple years ago and was under closure order until late 2022. Tonto Gravity Riders has been working on restoring the trails. Sounds like they have finished work on Six Shooter which is probably the best descent, but TF lists it as snow covered as of Feb 9. They've had more storms since. TGRs have also been working on Kellner Canyon but I don't think they've made it far. Comment on TF from Feb 9 - Corridor is getting opened up - once cleared we'll move on to tread work. The other two trails, Icehouse and Telephone haven't been worked on. If the trails have snow I'd bet the forest road would as well, at least higher up. All the trails start above 7,000ft. If you're on IG you could ask them directly for current conditions. https://www.instagram.com/tontogravityriders/

The ride I'd suggest that's closest to Globe is the Arizona Trail south from Picketpost trailhead near Superior. The whole section from there to Kelvin is one of my favorite rides anywhere, though it's a big day (36mi/+6k). But you can do out and backs from that trailhead to the 7, 10, 11.5 or 14 mile marks and then back down. The views between 11.5 and 14 as you drop down Martinez Canyon are spectacular. The riding is tough xc but fun and technical. See day 2 from this TR - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ez#post5550410.

The other spot just a few miles west beyond Picketpost is Gold Canyon. It's a spiderweb of shortish trails where you can ride as much or little as you have time for. Not a ton of elevation but the tech trails (black/red) are pretty fun.

Possibly the best option is go a bit further west through Payson and ride Hawes. A local group there has been killing it with some really fun trails. They're close to finishing a new DH trail right now. Tonto Gravity Riders is also working there on a new jump line at the NRA pit. There are some really fun descents at Hawes like Sunset and Red Mtn Rush. Or just hit South Mountain because that's always good. Or do both.

Sweet. Thank you! I was wondering about the ahh..errrr…snowGlobe potential.
    Yeah Hawes is on the radar. That might be the ticket.

Wife and I will be at the Sedona festival Mar 3-5 and a few days after. Weather looks like shite right now. Driving 8 hrs to ride wet trails in 50 degree weather is not what we were hoping for.
    Anyone have beta on the higher stuff like Hangover?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Yeah, I was considering some Sedona action, but have decided to get weird and focus on riding a road bike and eating tacos and Sonoran dogs in Tucson instead.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    decided to get weird and focus on riding a road bike in Tucson instead. Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That's messed up, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Wife and I will be at the Sedona festival Mar 3-5 and a few days after. Weather looks like shite right now. Driving 8 hrs to ride wet trails in 50 degree weather is not what we were hoping for.
    Anyone have beta on the higher stuff like Hangover?
    Well at least if there are 1200 other people trashing the wet trails you won't have much guilt : ) Hopefully they have a plan in place for if trails are wet.

If Sedona gets snow the sketchy parts of Hangover are north facing and would be extra sketchy.

Personally I'd avoid Sedona at all costs during the festival. That place is enough of a shit show during other times, no need to go when the trails are even more crowded. And if there's snow there will be a million extra hikers and gawkers out trying to get the perfect instagram shot.

If I was looking for a destination given the forecast I'd head to Tucson or the systems I mentioned in Phx. Out of the same Picketpost TH the Arnett Canyon / LOST (Legends of Superior Tr) is pretty cool. And south of there the Ripsey section of AZT is some of the best ridgetop riding in AZ. A really cool backcountry section that can be done as a loop - about half dirt roads and half singletrack. https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/48752298/

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Well at least if there are 1200 other people trashing the wet trails you won't have much guilt : ) Hopefully they have a plan in place for if trails are wet.

If Sedona gets snow the sketchy parts of Hangover are north facing and would be extra sketchy.

Personally I'd avoid Sedona at all costs during the festival. That place is enough of a shit show during other times, no need to go when the trails are even more crowded. And if there's snow there will be a million extra hikers and gawkers out trying to get the perfect instagram shot.

If I was looking for a destination given the forecast I'd head to Tucson or the systems I mentioned in Phx. Out of the same Picketpost TH the Arnett Canyon / LOST (Legends of Superior Tr) is pretty cool. And south of there the Ripsey section of AZT is some of the best ridgetop riding in AZ. A really cool backcountry section that can be done as a loop - about half dirt roads and half singletrack. https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/48752298/
    Agree on everything above, however...
    We've always enjoyed the festival (this is third year) and signed up this year on a whim. $500+ already spent before the weather went to crap.
    I really enjoy the advanced group rides and this year riding the 3 Hs with Wade Simmons should be cool. Extra credit is the women's rides for Mrs Roxtar so I can ride the good goods guilt free.
    Hopefully, things dry out this week

Fair enough!

I went to a couple of the first few festivals when it was still very small...like 50 to 100 people.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Fair enough!

I went to a couple of the first few festivals when it was still very small...like 50 to 100 people.

Have fun!
    Yeah, I've always enjoyed these things and crowds don't bother me.
    Hell, I had a great time in Moab (accidently) during Outerbike, doing Captain Ahab with a couple hundred of my best friends.