Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Just get a base bevel file. Easy.

If you belt sand a ski, you will get rid of the base structure. Structure is almost more important than wax. Don’t do it.
    OK, I know this seems to be the consensus. So I'm biting the bullet and ordering a base bevel guide. I used to have one but for the life of me couldn't find it. Thanks Golden and everyone for weighing in. Really appreciate it, and my skis thank you for not butchering them with my wife's (yes, that's right - she does wear the pants) belt sander.

When I finally get to a place with a stone grinder and some experienced staff, I'll get them to stone grind.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

be sure to use some lube if you belt sand. Consider KY. It works well in a multitude of applications.

Fuck, do I have to urban dictionary "belt sander". What have I said. And, mentioned the wife... Fuck.

I think I would just drag them along behind the dodge and save the $$ for a base grind but you wana find a new stretch of road eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A ski shop belt sander would help significantly. Even though you won't get a base grind, you can turn the belts inside out to polish the base, then set the bevels by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    OK, I know this seems to be the consensus. So I'm biting the bullet and ordering a base bevel guide.
    You can also wrap tape around the file to provide a bevel if you don't want to order a specific base file guide. Keep the tape lined up over the opposite edge you are filing and IIRC, 3 wraps of electrical tape is 1 degree.

Aren't we talking about fixing railed edges?

You lay down a bevel after flattening the base. Maybe I missed something above.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    OK, I know this seems to be the consensus. So I'm biting the bullet and ordering a base bevel guide. I used to have one but for the life of me couldn't find it. Thanks Golden and everyone for weighing in. Really appreciate it, and my skis thank you for not butchering them with my wife's (yes, that's right - she does wear the pants) belt sander.

When I finally get to a place with a stone grinder and some experienced staff, I'll get them to stone grind.
    Even if these are soft snow skis it's a bad idea to file the base edges without flattening the base first. If the edges matter enough to you to want to fix them then you should do it right. If not the just leave the skis alone. The risk of taking more off the base edge without flattening is not being able to hold an edge if you hit a patch of ice for example. If you're just worried about burrs and dings you can take them off the base edge with a diamond stone just enough to get them flush with the rest of the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    A ski shop belt sander would help significantly. Even though you won't get a base grind, you can turn the belts inside out to polish the base, then set the bevels by hand.
    I had a scotch-brite belt for my fontaine. It was spectacular for deburring.

Throwing sparks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0247A408-7F51-4F18-8379-F3473B36EF61.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	717.9 KB 
ID:	317208

Been meaning to post this, and I'm surprised no one beat me to it.

Yes, it's only a file holder, but keeping from bowing a file takes practice to hone your technique.

Just do it ...

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=333166

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Alpinlord has a product that works on the ski visions tool but uses a file do most of the work.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Snoozed and I missed it ;-)
    Galibier Design

DIY Base grind results?

Did you (garyfromtorrence) ever end up trying the DIY base grind? I've got a similar situation with some old skis, and I'm very tempted to try this... even if, as a general rule, taking belt sanders to ski bases is not advisable. Just curious if you had any luck with it and/or tips. Thanks, Owen

Sports chek will have a stone grinder, the store in town has one but probably no one who knows how to run it

I understand whatever happens in Rosswood ... stays in Rosswood

Quote Originally Posted by omh View Post
    Did you (garyfromtorrence) ever end up trying the DIY base grind? I've got a similar situation with some old skis, and I'm very tempted to try this... even if, as a general rule, taking belt sanders to ski bases is not advisable. Just curious if you had any luck with it and/or tips. Thanks, Owen
    Torrence, like California? What the fuck?
    Anyway nah. Waited until I went south, got a few pair stone ground in Calgary.

Yeah Al, I'm afraid of someone touching my skis in a major way that doesn't have a clue. D'ya think Dave W will ever get one?

I kinda doubt it

In pg cycle logic is high end bikes also the backcountry ski store, they got the DPS oven to do phantom, they have a stone grinder, i think it might be Brendan who runs it, I would call ahead and tell them what you want