Multi-week base camp AK trip - keeping boot liners (and other gear) dry

Never done a winter multi-week base camp trip before, never mind in AK. Any hints for keeping shit dry, especially boot liners.
    We won't have a fancy big wall tent with a stove. Basically it will be living in tent for 2.5 weeks in the Tordrillo Range.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

are you going to be in the same spot for 2.5 weeks?
    hot water bottles, sleep with your liners and get them in the sun when ever you have the chance.
    clothes are usually not an issue. just have a good layer system dry them on your body. insulated overpants and heavy parka makes it more comfortable when you get back to camp.
    gloves can be the biggest issue. I always go with two pairs liner gloves. Wear one have one next to your chest when skiing. Also keep them tucked next to my chest when sleeping to insure dry. I use mittens over them. A mitten that you can remove the inner to dry. Most times mitten shell and liner glove is enough when skiing. Inner mitten can be dried like the liner. I always sleep with mitten liner and liner gloves.
    I do not know when you are going often in April May it is warm enough to dry your gear in the sun. But if it is continually storming my advice works.
    heavy dark plastic bag to melt water in when you are out skiing.
    curious where you are going. I have climbed Spur. Skied Torbert. Gerdine. and Talachulitna.
    Last edited by BFD; 02-22-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    off your knees Louie

Thanks so much for the info BFD. Yeah, same place basically. We may do an overnighter or 2 but leaving the camp in place and taking minimal gear. Looking at setting up on the Triumvirate half way between Mt Gerdine and Strandline Lk.

Some great hints I never thought of, some shit I knew but needed a refresher. I've done quite a few 3 - 4 day trips just never a couple of weeks.

I saw these things on the net:

https://www.amazon.ca/DRYSURE-Extrem...43850759&psc=1

any thoughts?

edit - will be camped +/- Apr 10 to April 27
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Never done a winter multi-week base camp trip before, never mind in AK. Any hints for keeping shit dry, especially boot liners.
    We won't have a fancy big wall tent with a stove. Basically it will be living in tent for 2.5 weeks in the Tordrillo Range.
    A couple of tips....
    - Avoid bringing any unnecessary moisture inside the tent. Bring a small, stiff brush to remove snow/ice from clothing, backpacks etc
    - If it's cold and dry, shells can be left outside during the night. In the morning you can brush the frost of them (may or may not work - depending on your fabric)
    - Moisture build-up in the sleeping bags can become a problem. Really depends on the temperatures, ventilation and if the weather permits airing/drying them out outside. And wether you use down or fiber. Consider getting hold of a vapour barrier
    - Pretty obvious, but since you're planning to stay at the same sport for a long time - have a plan for hygiene

Since it's a base camp do you plan on bringing. Beta mid or something for a hangout/kitchen shelter? Might be worth it. Most hanging out can be done there and minimal/sleep time in tent only.

2nd hygiene's

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

All the above is good advice. Dry your gear in your sleeping bag with you while you sleep. dedicated sleeping clothes help with hygiene and dryness. Definitely have a cook tent. I was worried about boot liners as well when I did a trip up there but it was never an issue. I think i tried sleeping with them and that sucked and then it was sunny enough to dry them enough. Intuition liners, which aren't very absorbent in my experience, help. especially if you are base camping, bring lots of socks. If you are really worried about sweaty feet, vapor barrier in your boots. Can be a plastic bag. Foot gets sweaty, (kinda swampy) but liner stays dry. Change your socks and it's all good.

Have fun. It's pretty there.

If it works for your budget a second set of liners can be pretty great - have not done so on ski trips but have with pac boots on multi-week research expeditions in Greenland. Tf it is sunny and not too windy during the day your mountain/sleeping tent will get pretty hot and dry things pretty well - likewise just putting the liners outside in the sun during the day.

Sleeping with them works a bit but in my experience you get diminishing returns with each night.

If you have a choice bring a synthetic bag. late April, 15 hrs of daylight. Plenty of time to dry stuff out. do not bring a lot of extra stuff, limits mobility.
    off your knees Louie

Hope you post a TR. Sounds like an adventure!